The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Upcoming new race passive trait changes

Skander
Skander
✭✭✭✭✭
Something has been bugging me:

Breton: A race of knights and spellcasters, battlemages and spellbind warriors

Altmers: gets weapon damage as passive.

I mean, why and what. Breton should at least get some stamina bonuses too.
I meme, but my memes are so truthful they hurt
-Elder Nightblades Online
Want competitive pvp while being outnumbered? Tough luck, the devs clearly said you have to die in those situations
  • tuxon
    tuxon
    ✭✭✭✭
    There have been so much changes over the years that I completely stopped to understand the devs ideas behind it. Orcs got spell passive? Are getting at least on PTS. They talk so much about unique classes and races and in the end make all races even less unique by adding some weird things like spell damage to Orcs. Unless you play Altmer or Dunmer in ESO you are not getting any buffs or love :0

Overall Racial Passives in ESO make no sense.
    Edited by tuxon on February 22, 2021 1:28PM
    Resdayniil kan tarcel
  • tuxon
    tuxon
    ✭✭✭✭
    tuxon wrote: »
    Racial Passives in ESO make no sense.

Resdayniil kan tarcel
  • DawnsLight65
    DawnsLight65
    ✭✭✭
    Well, they may be moving toward where it essentially doesnt matter which race you are, with acquired skills you can be whatever race, and whatever designation you choose. Similar to Skyrim.
    Ra'avi Ahjonihr Khajit Stamblade, Level 1500Master ThiefCrafter and ExplorerHero of the Dominion, Pact, and CovenantMember of the DragonguardFriend to Razum-darFavored of Azura
    'It does not matter to M'aiq how strong or smart one is. It only matters what one can do.' -M'aiq the Liar
  • JobooAGS
    JobooAGS
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lol look at redguard and argonian for bad races passive wise and look at bosmer for stealth. This game got it all backwards.
  • Tommy_The_Gun
    Tommy_The_Gun
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tbh. If I could have a race change, but only passives (appearance & voice would remain the same) I would probably change all my characters to Orcs... that is how "amazing" racial passive balance will be next patch... :|
  • QuebraRegra
    QuebraRegra
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Skander wrote: »
    Something has been bugging me:

Breton: A race of knights and spellcasters, battlemages and spellbind warriors

Altmers: gets weapon damage as passive.

I mean, why and what. Breton should at least get some stamina bonuses too.

i hear ZOS has a LORE MASTER.... sadly Schick has left. Let Lemon Turtle answer for this.....
  • QuebraRegra
    QuebraRegra
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, they may be moving toward where it essentially doesnt matter which race you are, with acquired skills you can be whatever race, and whatever designation you choose. Similar to Skyrim.

LOL, you clearly never ran with IMPERIOUS?
  • QuebraRegra
    QuebraRegra
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    tuxon wrote: »
    There have been so much changes over the years that I completely stopped to understand the devs ideas behind it. Orcs got spell passive? Are getting at least on PTS. They talk so much about unique classes and races and in the end make all races even less unique by adding some weird things like spell damage to Orcs. Unless you play Altmer or Dunmer in ESO you are not getting any buffs or love :0

Overall Racial Passives in ESO make no sense.

yeah.. unless they're trying to do something with hybrids (and should explain so), then that ORC change makes even less sense.

seriously, Where the F is the lore master to reign in what might appear to be silly changes?
  • CP5
    CP5
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

LOL, you clearly never ran with IMPERIOUS?

Probably one of the best examples of a mod with racial passives that were applicable to multiple playstyles.
  • Vanya
    Vanya
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tis tricky to satisfy or accommodate Lore to Game-play balance. Often lore has to broken or balance races because others will lack certain bonuses etc.
  • Supreme_Atromancer
    Supreme_Atromancer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Vanya wrote: »
    Tis tricky to satisfy or accommodate Lore to Game-play balance.

Well, they knowingly took on that challenge. They didn't inherit - and massively benefit from - a hugely passionate fanbase by saying "its too tricky to satisfy lore." Its their JOB to make this work in a convincing and satisfying way.

As development continues, and the team's struggles with mechanical balance and gameplay mount with every new addition, lore considerations are becoming more and more of an afterthought. The growing feeling is that mechanics and balance are put out no matter what, and the writers just have to find some random way to make it work. The results often feel forced, or flat out make no sense within the mythology. In doing that, they are falling short. Is it the writers' faults, for not having the inspiration or feel for the lore to make it work? Or is it because mechanics inform mythology, and not the other way round. There's a lot of weird crap that gets put out there, and I don't even know if there would be a good way to justify much of it in a lore way.
    Edited by Supreme_Atromancer on February 25, 2021 1:27PM
  • Supreme_Atromancer
    Supreme_Atromancer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wanted to add that I don't even think its fair to call out Leamon - I don't think he's better or worse than Lawrence. From my impression, its a tough job and he gives every appearance of caring about his job, the IP and the fanbase, as passionate as we are. He engages with the community, probably as much as he can. For those who are unsatisfied with ZOS' handling of lore, he might become the focus of blame, and that might not be entirely fair. If a call for him to "answer for this" is just an appeal to have him address the thoughts people have, I can get behind that - but I don't he should be made a pariah: From my point of view the issues people are expressing here, and similar issues expressed elsewhere, are inherent in the task of bringing Tamriel into an MMO format. There's just so much compromise towards the MMO part, and people are unsatisfied with that.