The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Class Recommendation

dioc21
dioc21
Hi, I'm new to the game and hoping somebody can help me choose a class that fits my playstyle. I plan on being a Dark Elf, so either Mag or Stam would be fine. No Sorc suggestions as I don't really care for the class.

PVE: Solo play about 99% of the time. Looking for a class that can do most content as possible. Melee or range, doesn't matter. Don't need to top the DPS charts as I don't plan on grouping much with my time I have to play.

PVP: Solo as well, but mostly hanging around the zerg or defending points/keeps. Not looking for a 1on1 class, looking for a range class to pick people off. Bow or staff preferred.

Thanks for any help.
  • Araneae6537
    Araneae6537
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think warden would be a good pick. They are tough and have good sustain so can go solo.

Nightblade is an option if you want to stealth, but more squishy (I’ve been playing NB longest but still die easier on that class than others but cloaking away from a solo WB fight really isn’t a useful option).

Note that you can also play classes in different ways. I avoided sorc for a while because I didn’t like the pets but now am enjoying the class (both mag and stam versions) without.
  • Camb0Sl1ce
    Camb0Sl1ce
    ✭✭✭
    If you dont care for sorcerer i would say templar, fun class in my opinion and your class spammable heals you. Good class for solo play.
  • dioc21
    dioc21
    Does Templar have a range DPS option for PVP? I see that it can be a melee class for PVE which is fine, I don't have a preference for PVE. For PVP I'd like to be able to have a ranged option.
  • newtinmpls
    newtinmpls
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Dunmer....

I've had a lot of fun playing Magicka Dragonknights as fire mages. They can solo most things, and have a decent sustain and nasty attacks.
    Tenesi Faryon of Telvanni - Dunmer Sorceress who deliberately sought sacrifice into Cold Harbor to rescue her beloved.
    Hisa Ni Caemaire - Altmer Sorceress, member of the Order Draconis and Adept of the House of Dibella.
    Broken Branch Toothmaul - goblin (for my goblin characters, I use either orsimer or bosmer templates) Templar, member of the Order Draconis and persistently unskilled pickpocket
    Mol gro Durga - Orsimer Socerer/Battlemage who died the first time when the Nibenay Valley chapterhouse of the Order Draconis was destroyed, then went back to Cold Harbor to rescue his second/partner who was still captive. He overestimated his resistance to the hopelessness of Oblivion, about to give up, and looked up to see the golden glow of atherius surrounding a beautiful young woman who extended her hand to him and said "I can help you". He carried Fianna Kingsley out of Cold Harbor on his shoulder. He carried Alvard Stower under one arm. He also irritated the Prophet who had intended the portal for only Mol and Lyris.
    Order Draconis - well c'mon there has to be some explanation for all those dragon tattoos.
    House of Dibella - If you have ever seen or read "Memoirs of a Geisha" that's just the beginning...
    Nibenay Valley Chapterhouse - Where now stands only desolate ground and a dolmen there once was a thriving community supporting one of the major chapterhouses of the Order Draconis
  • Camb0Sl1ce
    Camb0Sl1ce
    ✭✭✭
    @dioc21 if you go the magicka route could just slot force pulse/crushing shock or elemental weapon in place of sweeps.
  • etchedpixels
    etchedpixels
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    dioc21 wrote: »
    Does Templar have a range DPS option for PVP? I see that it can be a melee class for PVE which is fine, I don't have a preference for PVE. For PVP I'd like to be able to have a ranged option.

Binding javelin
    Toppling charge
    Spear charge
    Power of the light
    Solar prison
    Weapon skills

It's got plenty. Enough you can stun someone, drop power of the light on, solar prison and then toppling charge to go in close if you want.

Templar is definitely good for solo play, flexible and fairly easy to get the hang of. There are stronger options but not IMHO so easy to run.

Too many toons not enough time
  • dioc21
    dioc21
    I think I’ll go ahead and give Templar a try, sounds pretty fun. One last question, is a bow Templar with snipe unheard of or can it put out some pressure?
  • Athan1
    Athan1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    dioc21 wrote: »
    I think I’ll go ahead and give Templar a try, sounds pretty fun. One last question, is a bow Templar with snipe unheard of or can it put out some pressure?
    If you go stamina Templar it's fine. I would also recommend this class as it is very beginner-friendly due to the abundance of heals. Note though that most of their skills are (and start off as) magicka, so if you want to go stamina you will need to level up as magicka first and respec later.

Another beginner-friendly option is Warden, a great all-rounder. Depends what theme you prefer, holy light, nature, dragon, stealth, etc... Every class is kinda all-round and viable for most solo content.
    Edited by Athan1 on February 24, 2021 1:59AM
    Athan Atticus Imperial Templar of Shezarr