The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

vMA frost staff vs Mother’s Sorrow

Alutora
Alutora
✭✭✭
Hi.
I’m doing vMA at least 2-4 times every week for a long while now, almost always on leaderboards (so extra weapon), though I never dropped inferno or lightning staff. In fact, these are the only two I’m missing.

I’m not complaining about that, however I am getting really tired of it, since I have about 150+ runs now...it’s gotten to the point I can’t sleep because I always dream of vMA :o

My question is, is it better to run vMA frost staff rather than MS staff? Will there be significant dps gain even with frost staff? Or should I just give up and stick to double MS?

Thank you :)
  • DigiAngel
    DigiAngel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd try for just MA staff and roll with that....you'll only lose a bit of spell penetration and still get the add damage.
  • El_Borracho
    El_Borracho
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Yes. You will get more damage with the VMA staff, even if its a frost staff. Put it on your back bar, drop Wall of Elements (and whatever other DOTs you have), then flip over to your front bar and do your damage rotation. This is why:
    (2 items) Your Light and Heavy Attacks deal an additional 1353 damage to enemies in your Wall of Elements.

If you just double-bar MS (or whatever set you're running), you won't get that 1353 damage with every light attack in your rotation. On a normal magicka rotation, you are hitting 8-12 light attacks between your skills, depending on your build. Multiply that by the bump the VMA staff gives, and you can see why its an essential weapon, even the normal version, even if its ice.

Finally, it doesn't matter if your VMA staff is ice while your front bar staff if fire or lightning for that damage boost.
  • QuebraRegra
    QuebraRegra
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Alutora wrote: »
    Hi.
    I’m doing vMA at least 2-4 times every week for a long while now, almost always on leaderboards (so extra weapon), though I never dropped inferno or lightning staff. In fact, these are the only two I’m missing.

I’m not complaining about that, however I am getting really tired of it, since I have about 150+ runs now...it’s gotten to the point I can’t sleep because I always dream of vMA :o

My question is, is it better to run vMA frost staff rather than MS staff? Will there be significant dps gain even with frost staff? Or should I just give up and stick to double MS?

Thank you :)

same boat.. can I offer you a deal on a frost staff? ;)
  • WrathOfInnos
    WrathOfInnos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    vMA frost staff will give more DPS than a back bar MS Inferno. The only issue with it is that casting Unstable Wall of Frost sometimes causes crashes. I wouldn’t spam Unstable Wall for the explosion with a Frost Staff, but if you use it every 10s it’s usually ok. Or swap to the Blockade morph to be extra safe.