The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 6:00PM EDT (22:00 UTC)

Best Lore friendly race for a Paladin and a Nord simple warrior?

TheFibrewire
TheFibrewire
✭✭✭
I want to play the Templar class, but I want it to be a generic paladin who wears heavy armor but at same time has magic.
1) What race should I go for?
2) What makes more sense lorewise?

I also want to play as a Nord warrior.
1) What class should i go that can be a Nord warrior?

Thanks
  • Vevvev
    Vevvev
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Templar Nord pretty much is what you want. The stamina version of Templar still wields magic and Nords are one of the tankiest races in the game. If your Nord doesn't mind fighting with a golden spear then StamPlar is the class and build to pick.
    PC NA - Ceyanna Ashton - Breton Vampire MagDK
  • The_Lex
    The_Lex
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Your title says you want something "lore friendly." Opinions may vary, and you can "shoehorn" anything into a lore-basis if you get creative, but here's what I would say:

Templar:

If your idea of a lore-based Templar is more in line with the standard D&D trope (lawful good, obeys the law at all costs, pursues righteousness and justice), then I'd say, Imperial (Stamina, but you could do Magicka. Imperial passives are looking pretty sweet next patch), Breton (they have all kinds of Knightly orders. Probably better as Magicka templar), and Altmer.

If you want to expand it a bit, you could say, Wood Elves (they do have the Jephrine Paladin Armor), Dark Elves (but you'd have to force the idea into the Three God religion or a "good" Daedra worshipper, but that's pushing it). Nords are iffy, lore wise. They're strong, fierce, barbaric warriors by nature. However, you could have a paladin of Kyne or Mara - that might work.

Nord Warrior:

Definitely a Dragonknight. It's the most lore friendly for their race, given the Dragonborn Emperors and legend of the Dovahkiin. But, as mentioned above, you could "shoehorn" a Nord into a Templar warrior.

Edited by The_Lex on February 12, 2021 5:07PM
  • The_Lex
    The_Lex
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    As a side note, you could check out this webpage, Paths of the Paladin. It creates lore-friendly Paladin characters for each race in Skyrim. You could take some of these ideas, and adapt them to ESO.

The link is safe. The website is safe. It's maintained by my ESO guild, The Tamriel Vault.
  • tuxon
    tuxon
    ✭✭✭✭
    My races for Templar (Paladin):

1 - Breton (the most vanilla Paladin you can imagine)

2 - Altmer (Auri-El's Paladin, Elf Paladin) Paladin using Aedra magic, just like Templar's abilities actually are

3 - Orc (yes) Trinimac's Follower, Trinimac's Paladin, the Paragon. I also use skin for yellow glowing eyes = so he is more like Trinimac's avatar that returned to Nirn (Vosh Rakh would have been proud :wink: )

Nord "warrior" = Stamina DK.

P.S. I also have a lot of other Templars, I'm Templaroholic.
    For e.g. my main is Magplar Dunmer. And the excuse for him using Aedra magic is that he is so old that he was one of the Chimer before they started to follow Veloth and worship Daedra :dizzy: You can create Dunmer in ESO without red eyes and actually choose yellowish eyes and use the light skin ton = almost Chimer. Would Elf Templar is also nice, Yffre is conected to Aedra as well. I also have Kajiit Templar more of a monk though, not paladin. I would recommend you to pick the race you will enjoy playing and trust me, with the amount of motifs (armour styles) in game right now you can create a lot of different and lore-friendly "builds" and outfits.
    Resdayniil kan tarcel
  • tsaescishoeshiner
    tsaescishoeshiner
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There's no "lore-friendly" race for Templar nor class for Nords. I think about Nords in Skyrim—they were everything from frost mages to Vigilants of Stendarr to rogues to berserkers to heavy armor spellswords. I would start by thinking of a bit of a backstory for your character, or go select Templar in the character creator and hit Random until something gives you an idea

I find Stamina Sorcerer a fun class for Nord warriors because they're a tanky in-your-face class that courses with the wind and is definitely a very berserker-y class I dread to see in PvP. I'd second Warden cuz you get a bear and frost magic, and many people associate totem animals and that kind of magic with Nords

I think of Dunmer as a good race/culture for a Templar/paladin, as their culture has many warriors in charge of defending living gods and following virtues. Altmer also have proud knightly orders and worship Aedra, which Templar skills mention (though not all Templars are Aedra- or Stendarr-worshipers)
    PC-NA
    in-game: @tsaescishoeshiner
  • Athan1
    Athan1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Paladin: Breton, Imperial, Redguard, Altmer
    Nord: StamWarden or DK
    Athan Atticus Imperial Templar of Shezarr
  • Crazyprophet
    Crazyprophet
    ✭✭✭
    1) Seems really Breton to me. Maybe Altmer at a pinch - I can see a Paladin of Auriel being really cool.

2) 100% Dragonknight. Or. OR. Even cooler. Try a classless build using weapons skills/fighters guild skill line.
  • robertbmilesb14_ESO

Paladin

Breton would be the very typical one. Altmer, typical again. Redguard, people may say they "don't like magic", they just don't like trickery. We know they use "holy" magic though after you do their zone story. Redguard are honourable warriors and would line up well. Dunmer especially if you go with an Ordinator or Buoyant Armiger sets (in game the NPCs use Templar spells who are priests/warriors), serving one of the three gods. Nord because they are prone to following the Aedra. Imperial same reason as Nords.

Orc/Orismer like the person above said.

Truthfully, any race makes sense in ESO as you can develop a backstory however you like and Elder Scrolls is more realistic in that the races have stereotypes but not everyone fits them.

If you go stamina you're still using magic since they are not martial skills, so play how you wish. I have a Redguard Templar who mainly uses the "passive" Templar abilities and all others are martial.

Nord Warrior

For a strong traditional warrior, I'd say Warden. DK works as well. NB can be done.
  • Sekt_Tiberlus
    Sekt_Tiberlus
    ✭✭✭
    Paladin? This word is rare in TES. If you consider the Templar class... We have warriors and mages that uses templar abilities among any race. Ancient Saxhleel, for example, they would never worship to some silly 8 divines, they actually don't like any divines, but they know how to use raw magicka gathered from the sun. And the sun is the key to Aethiruis magicka. And Templar uses mostly aedric(Aethirius) magicka. For example Xukas in Murkmire, while adventuring with you uses some templar skills(solar flare).
  • Crazyprophet
    Crazyprophet
    ✭✭✭
    A Dark Elf Ordinator would kinda work for Templar too now that I think of it. Wield the divine powers of Mother Morrowind, Almalexia, with light as golden as her skin!
  • RaddlemanNumber7
    RaddlemanNumber7
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    A Dark Elf Ordinator would kinda work for Templar too now that I think of it. Wield the divine powers of Mother Morrowind, Almalexia, with light as golden as her skin!

I see Ordinators more as Anti-Paladins. Especially Doctrine Ordinators - the thought police.

RPG Paladins have to serve the Good. Almalexia may have made her skin appear all bright and shiny but that is just a lie. Her heart, mind and soul are as dark as murder.

Dunmer are involved in a lot of necromancy too. It's a normative feature of their culture - summoning ancestral spirits, undead tomb guardians, the ghost fence, etc. Not something I'd associate with a Paladin.
    PC EU
  • Crazyprophet
    Crazyprophet
    ✭✭✭
    The Ordinators and Priests of Almalexia genuinely seem to believe that they are serving what is right and good. The people of Morrowind adore Almalexia, and she has been praised for her healing and kindness - the name Mother Morrowind was not entirely unearned. She may have been inwardly a liar and a murderer, but outwardly she conveyed an image of purity, love and mercy - which is why she was so adored.

A good Paladin can still be a good person with good ideals, while in service to a liar. They likely do not know, at least not entirely, about the darker aspects. To believe you're serving someone pure and good, and to try to convey those morals in your own practice, is still very Paladiny, despite Almalexia's own inward flaws.
  • robertbmilesb14_ESO
    The Ordinators and Priests of Almalexia genuinely seem to believe that they are serving what is right and good. The people of Morrowind adore Almalexia, and she has been praised for her healing and kindness - the name Mother Morrowind was not entirely unearned. She may have been inwardly a liar and a murderer, but outwardly she conveyed an image of purity, love and mercy - which is why she was so adored.

A good Paladin can still be a good person with good ideals, while in service to a liar. They likely do not know, at least not entirely, about the darker aspects. To believe you're serving someone pure and good, and to try to convey those morals in your own practice, is still very Paladiny, despite Almalexia's own inward flaws.

Yep, and I believe it's in the Dominion you find a Dunmer sent by Almalexia to assist in closing one of the gates (I forget the real name) that Molag Bal and his cult are opening.

It's very Paladin-eqse.

Sure a Dunmer "Paladin" could be a DK too *shrugs* but you see the NPCs use Templar abilities.