Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

New Player - Sustain Question

dioc21
dioc21
Hi, I'm new to the game and looking to play a Magblade and Magsorc, but also want the ability to try out stam builds if I get to bored of purely magika. I like the looks of Dark Elfs and how they can switch back and forth easily. Everywhere I read I see that Bretons are the easiest as they have the best sustain. Coming from somebody who has never played before how hard is it going to be not being a Breton with their easy sustain, is it that game breaking or can I manage sustain no matter the race? As far as I can tell, sustain is how fast you can regen your magika power?
  • SpiritofESO
    SpiritofESO
    ✭✭✭
    dioc21 wrote: »
    As far as I can tell, sustain is how fast you can regen your magika power?

Yes, basically. The Light Armor Skill Line has magicka buffs built in, Medium has stamina buffs and Heavy has Health buffs.

Armor sets (with five-piece buffs) also has buffs variously for magicka or stamina users. Racials skills can buff "sustain" (Sustainability).

Example:

Imperial Racial Passives

Imperials make ideal tanks, not only because of their bonuses to Health and Stamina, but because they regain all 3 resources when they deal damage, and have cost reduction for all abilities.

Tanks use both Stamina and Magicka quite regularly, and regaining them really helps out. Health is just an added bonus. These same qualities make them a decent choice for PvP as well, though not as good as some other Races.

Breton Racial Passives

Bretons have a heavy focus on Magicka, and thus make very good Magicka-based DPS or Healers. The cost reduction of Magicka abilities, in combination with the Magicka Recovery gives them excellent sustain.

High Elf Racial Passives

Just looking at their Racial Passives, you can see that High Elves are more tuned towards the Magicka side of things, rather than Stamina. This means it is ideal to use them as either Magicka DPS or Healers, because they both take advantage of the Spell Damage and Max Magicka increase. These types of Builds use Staffs (Staves) and are akin to “Mages” in other games, so if you wish to make a mage-like character, High Elf is a good choice.

You might want to explore all Racial skills which you can Google quickly: ESO Racial Skills

:smiley:
    • ~ PS NA ~ ALDMERI DOMINION ~
    • IVY GOLDBLADE, WOOD ELF NIGHTBLADE, Former Empress
    • IVY GOLDBLAZE, HIGH ELF TEMPLAR
    • "Adapt or Die"
  • AcadianPaladin
    AcadianPaladin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Race is overrated unless you are interested in the final 1-2% of performance at elite levels and even then, more for dps than tanks or healers.

I play Bosmer - only Bosmer - and my four mages and several stamina archers all do fine. If a Bosmer can do it, any race can.
    PC NA(no Steam), PvE, mostly solo
  • UntilValhalla13
    UntilValhalla13
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    My sorc and nightblades are dark elves and I sustain fine with blue food.
    Edited by UntilValhalla13 on February 20, 2021 6:12AM
  • istvana
    istvana
    Soul Shriven
    I am newer than you are and therefore know even less about race/class choices.

I can add that the consensus opinion in almost all major MMOs has been that unless your goal is to be an endgame raider and join a guild that simply won't take "bad" race/class combinations, you are better off playing a class that you enjoy than one that you do not, even if the one that you do not is "better" by a marginal degree. You are better off playing a race that you enjoy than one you do not even if the one that you do not is "better" to a marginal degree.

Research over the last few days tells me that all or almost all combinations are viable even though, obviously, some work better than others. So while I do not doubt in the slightest that SpiritofESO is entirely correct, so too is UntilValhalla13.
  • El_Borracho
    El_Borracho
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Magblades have built-in sustain skills that when used with a decent rotation work very well. I run a dark elf magblade and love it. The burning immunity is great and I think trumps the high elf damage passive.

As for magsorcs, sustain depends on the build and your rotation. Heavy attackers have no sustain issues. Normal/light attack rotations typically work very well as most builds have a massive magicka pool to draw on.

Bretons are more suited to healer roles and mag DK DPS where sustain is an issue.
  • fred4
    fred4
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Race is overrated unless you are interested in the final 1-2% of performance at elite levels and even then, more for dps than tanks or healers.

I play Bosmer - only Bosmer - and my four mages and several stamina archers all do fine. If a Bosmer can do it, any race can.
    Been playing for 5 1/2 years. I agree with this. Dunmer is fine nor is Breton optimal for everything.
    PC EU (EP): Magicka NB (main), Stamina NB, Stamina DK, Stamina Sorcerer, Magicka Warden, Magicka Templar, Stamina Templar
    PC NA (EP): Magicka NB
  • tsaescishoeshiner
    tsaescishoeshiner
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Khajiit is also a hybrid race that gets bonuses to Magicka, Health, Stamina, and some recovery for all three. They're just as able as Dunmer to switch back and forth, but with some recovery. People differ as to which is better, especially when the next patch drops on March 8th with minor adjustments. I've used Khajiit for vet DLC trials and vet DLC dungeon hardmodes, as have many others.

And next week's patch also makes Argonians a hybrid race focused on sustain. They give you resources back when you drink a potion, which you should do every 45 seconds in PvE (to get the most sustain possible). Less damage than Khajiit, but more sustain. And more scales & feathers.

I have 2 characters of each class, 1 of which I tried to make a hybrid race. Play what you like, and use bonuses that sound good to you :~)
    PC-NA
    in-game: @tsaescishoeshiner