Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Why no Werebears?

kadochka
kadochka
✭✭✭✭✭
Just a quick, seemingly random question I had.
They're already in the Elder Scrolls universe; they could be found in Skyrim. If we have Werewolves, what about Werebears?

(Please don't comment just to be rude; I know it'd take a lot to balance and such, and the whole argument of 'fix everything else first!'. I just mean, they exist in the lore, but we haven't seen them all game?? why? Why can't we become one? It would fit great into a Warden theme.)
Edited by kadochka on September 7, 2020 2:11AM
if I could make another character, their name would be Cries-For-Character-Slots. AKA, I need more.

• Ruhlf
    Ruhlf
    ✭✭✭
    That would be fun. I love my werewolf, but would also love a werebear.

I could see them both being part of the same skill tree, and more of a cosmetic difference (with a few minor skill differences). Or werebear could be its own thing.

Either way, I’d also like a few different skin options for both werewolves and werebears.
  • Jackey
    Jackey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is also a bunch more of different types of lycanthropy. Like weresharks (according to M'aiq the Liar ;) )

Imagine a Khajiit transforming into a lion or an Argonian transforming into a crocodile. I always find it a bit weird when Argonians turn into wolves.
    PS | EU
  • Hu-Rikan
    Hu-Rikan
    ✭✭✭
    yea im not 100% sure whether its race specific or simply strain specific but there should be werewolves, werebears, wearsharks, wearbats, wearcrocodiles, wearlions and probably more, if nothing else some skins to change your werewolf's appearance into one of the other lycantropes would be cool but overall they should just add the different strains themselves.
    Edited by Hu-Rikan on October 18, 2020 4:40AM
  • Jackey
    Jackey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hu-Rikan wrote: »
    yea im not 100% sure whether its race specific or simply strain specific but their should be werewolves, werebears, wearsharks, wearbats, wearcrocodiles, wearlions and probably more, if nothing else some skins to change your werewolf's appearance into one of the other lycantropes would be cool but overall they should just add the different strains themselves.

It's strain specific, any race can catch any strain. The different strains are more common in certain regions than others. Werebears are supposedly common in Skyrim and werecrocodiles are common in Black Marsh and so on.
    PS | EU
  • Ratzkifal
    Ratzkifal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is one werebear in ESO, but he never transforms. You'll meet him in March of Sacrifices. He's the leader of the Nord hunting party who...
    then get's mindcontrolled/killed by the Indrik and reanimated to fight us.

I hope they'll eventually add different strains of vampirism and lycanthropy. That would be great, although in the case of lycanthropy it might become difficult to maintain visual clarity. How would a werevulture or werebat use Infectious Claws and make it look similar enough to the Werewolf version to be recognizeable? That's probably the biggest challenge about it, aside from balancing aspects.
    This Bosmer was tortured to death. There is nothing left to be done.
  • Vevvev
    Vevvev
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ratzkifal wrote: »
    How would a werevulture or werebat use Infectious Claws and make it look similar enough to the Werewolf version to be recognizeable? That's probably the biggest challenge about it, aside from balancing aspects.

Probably the same way you can tell the difference between Eviscerate and Dragonknight's Searing Strike. Its not in the animation but the special effects of the ability itself.
    PC NA - Ceyanna Ashton - Breton Vampire MagDK
  • Kajuratus
    Kajuratus
    ✭✭✭
    I don't see us getting any of the other strains of lycanthropy as playable options, at least not in this game. The best we can hope for is for them to release separate skins of each lycanthrope, but then you can only really do that with werebears, werelions, wereboars and maybe werecrocodiles. Even then, the devs have said in the past that they aren't going to release skins of different werebeasts, so I wouldn't hold my breath for any greater variety for playable lycanthropes. But I am hoping to see some more werecreatures as NPC's or world bosses throughout the world as more areas become unlocked. I was hoping for werelions in Elsweyr. 2019 came and went with no werelions. I'm hoping for wereboars in whats left of Hammerfell, since we have all of High Rock in the game and no wereboars. I'm hoping for werecrocodiles in Black Marsh and whats left of southern Morrowind. I was hoping for some werebears in Western Skyrim, and am hoping we get some in the other Holds when we eventually get around to heading there. I haven't done any of the Greymoor story yet, but I'm guessing they're nowhere to be found. We have werebats in Valenwood, so ZOS clearly knows that other lycanthropes exist other than werewolves.
    So the Dark Elves have weird alien architecture, where people live in mushroom towers and the shell of a giant crab, but the High Elves, the pinnacle of technology, the most magically advanced race in Tamriel, are still stuck in slightly pretty, fairly tall stone buildings? Not even a hint of a glass city? Are stainless glass windows really enough to claim that a city is made of glass?
  • redlink1979
    redlink1979
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    "Werebears? Where? Bears? Men that are bears?"
    "Sweet Mother, sweet Mother, send your child unto me, for the sins of the unworthy must be baptized in blood and fear"
    • Sons of the Night Mother [PS5][EU] 2165 CP
    • Daggerfall's Mightiest [PS5][NA] 1910 CP
    • SweetTrolls [PC][EU] 1950 CP
    • Bacon Rats [PC][NA] 1850 CP
  • Chaos2088
    Chaos2088
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    There does need to be more Lycan forms yes.
    @Chaos2088 PC EU Server | AD-PvP
  • Dark_Lord_Kuro
    Dark_Lord_Kuro
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    kadochka wrote: »
    Just a quick, seemingly random question I had.
    They're already in the Elder Scrolls universe; they could be found in Skyrim. If we have Werewolves, what about Werebears?

(Please don't comment just to be rude; I know it'd take a lot to balance and such, and the whole argument of 'fix everything else first!'. I just mean, they exist in the lore, but we haven't seen them all game?? why? Why can't we become one? It would fit great into a Warden theme.)

In skyrim they were only found on solstheim, so maybe they will be added when we go there
  • Aztrias
    Aztrias
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What we need are wereboars
    450?cb=20120112072644
    Welcome Moon-and-Star to this place where destiny is made

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/498360/r-i-p-pc-eu/p1
    Nerevar forget!
  • Ajaxandriel
    Ajaxandriel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What if the whole Khajiit race was simply a stable and continuous werelion mutation of ancient elves/ehlnofey? mind=blown
    TESO:Triskelion - forum RP, guilde francophone
    Ajaxandriel - haut-elfe gardien 50 ;
    Altarya - haute-elfe templière 50 ;
    Angelith - elfe des bois gardienne 50 ;
    Antarius Scorpio - impérial chevalier-dragon 50 ;
    Artémidore de Corbeaulieu - bréton lame noire 50 ;
    Azothos Sadras - elfe noir sorcier 50 ;
    Celestras - haut-elfe sorcier 50 ;
    Diluviatar - elfe des mers sorcier 50 ;
    Dorguldun gro-Arash - orque sorcier 50 ;
    Hjarnar - nordique sorcier 50 ;
    Jendaya al-Gilane - rougegarde chevalier-dragon 50 ;
    Sabbathnazar Ullikummi - elfe noir chevalier-dragon 50 ;
    Selvaryn Virotès - elfe noire lame noire 50 ;
    Tahajmi - khajiit sorcière 50 ;
    Telernil - haut-elfe templier 50 ;
    Zadzadak - gobelin nécromancien 50 ;
    Zandoga - rougegarde chevalier-dragon 50
  • xclassgaming
    xclassgaming
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    there is a werebear in march of sacrifises. he jsut doesn't transform
    Add Veyas hair for us players to use!
  • Iccotak
    Iccotak
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I would like to see more Were-Beast creatures in the game and have skins that could be applied to the werewolf form.

Just pop them in the Crown store and you have money money money
  • Vanya
    Vanya
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    While in Solstheim you must be aware. Although to be fair, Even though they're rare, you might want to prepare for the Werebears there!
  • psychotrip
    psychotrip
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's a resource issue.

In other words, no one running Zenimax thinks its worth it to put more werecreatures in the game.

I disagree, as do you, as do likely many of the people working at Zeninax. Our opinions don't matter.

Not trying to be rude at all. That's honestly just been the pattern of Bethesda / Zenimax for at least a decade. It took them until a dlc to add werebears to Skyrim, which was originally supposed to be infested with werecreatures which they retconned for the same reasons.

This is, unfortunately, the answer to most of these lore questions. Money, retcons, and leaving the community to piece things together in a way that "makes sense".
    Edited by psychotrip on January 31, 2021 6:57PM
    No one is saying there aren't multiple interpretations of the lore, and we're not arguing that ESO did it "wrong".

We're arguing that they decided to go for the most boring, mundane, seen-before interpretation possible. Like they almost always do, unless they can ride on the coat-tails of past games.
  • Vanya
    Vanya
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    psychotrip wrote: »
    It's a resource issue.

In other words, no one running Zenimax thinks its worth it to put more werecreatures in the game.

I disagree, as do you, as do likely many of the people working at Zeninax. Our opinions don't matter.

Not trying to be rude at all. That's honestly just been the pattern of Bethesda / Zenimax for at least a decade. It took them until a dlc to add werebears to Skyrim, which was originally supposed to be infested with werecreatures which they retconned for the same reasons.

This is, unfortunately, the answer to most of these lore questions. Money, retcons, and leaving the community to piece things together in a way that "makes sense".

I counted 3 or 4 Werebears in total in Central region of Island, shameful it is to be fair even though they rare you still need to prepare ... 4 is a pack. They travel in packs,always .. in packs.
  • tuxon
    tuxon
    ✭✭✭✭
    Werewolf models are outdated in general. So let's hope for update. Moreover Argonians should turn into werecrocs and so on.
    Resdayniil kan tarcel
  • Vevvev
    Vevvev
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    tuxon wrote: »
    Werewolf models are outdated in general. So let's hope for update. Moreover Argonians should turn into werecrocs and so on.

Like vampire bloodlines the were creatures are dependant on which one bit you. Anyone can turn into a werecrocodile but it requires being turned by one.
  • Araneae6537
    Araneae6537
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Because there are plenty of bears in the game — bear mounts, bear combat pets, bear noncombat pets, and set that summons a bear spirit, etc. Where are my spiders??? I’d love to have a character be able to transform into a spider like Selene. And how about the one seeming spider ability, trapping webs? It summons HOARVERS, not spiders! I am so disappointed. :disappointed:
  • Vanya
    Vanya
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Because there are plenty of bears in the game — bear mounts, bear combat pets, bear noncombat pets, and set that summons a bear spirit, etc. Where are my spiders??? I’d love to have a character be able to transform into a spider like Selene. And how about the one seeming spider ability, trapping webs? It summons HOARVERS, not spiders! I am so disappointed. :disappointed:

Yea ,let us also add ability to transform player into sweetroll. Wabbjack mayhap? Cmon now, Zenimax surely won't add such an option, Abhorrent insects must be squashed.
  • Vevvev
    Vevvev
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Vanya wrote: »

Yea ,let us also add ability to transform player into sweetroll. Wabbjack mayhap? Cmon now, Zenimax surely won't add such an option, Abhorrent insects must be squashed.

Now I want a Wabbajack memento that turns you into something random ranging from daedra, sweetrolls, tavern maids, goats, cheese, etc. Would be a blast at parties lol.
  • Aliyavana
    Aliyavana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    tuxon wrote: »

The strain of Lycanthropy we receive is obtained by werewolves. An argonian that is bit by a werewolf will turn into a werewolf, not a werecroc. Would be lore breaking if they turned into werecrocs unless they were specifically bit by a werecroc.
  • TheRimOfTheSky
    TheRimOfTheSky
    ✭✭✭✭
    Zenimax waiting to go to solstheim for the 5th time before they bother making werebears
  • UppGRAYxDD
    UppGRAYxDD
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Careful what you wish for3490031-manbearpig-imaginationland-01.jpg
    "Stendarr's mercy be upon you, for the vigil has none to spare."
  • Drammanoth
    Drammanoth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    maybe a story DLC set in Solstheim? It could introduce werebears - AND those werebears could be tanks, where werewolves - well, more DPSs
    My wishlist for ESO
    I.Skills:
    >>weapons: Polearms, Unarmed, Crossbow

>>Sorc's Twilight - perched animation

>>a skill line - a guild having this - to enable us to increase % gold gain for donating Ornate gear (another gold sink in order to gain more pennies - but over time it would pay off)

II.Overland Mechanics
    >>tree climing in Grahtwood / Malabal Tor / Greenshade, etc. (with tall trees)

>>rock climbing in Glenumbra / Rivenspire / Stonefalls, etc. (with tall peaks)

>>new skill lines - Adventure (enable climbing, increase flora and fauna harvesting chances)

III.CP 2.0
    >>Craft Tree development --> https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/594079/idea-craft-cp-sub-tree-ideas-constant-wip#latest

III.Replayable content in overland
    >>dynamic pocket rifts to Oblivion - eg. to Vaermina's in Stormhaven, Boethiah's in Deshaan, Hircine's in the Rift OR in Bankgorai, etc. to get Daedric Sets relevant to the Prince, something like Oblivion rifts in Blackwood / the Deadlands

IV.Geography
    >>Pyandonea - we had some quests WITH Maormer (Summerset, High Isle) - maybe we could meet them there? Poke poke, nudge nudge, wink wink, eh ZOS?

V.Other
    (the ideas are also inspired by other Forum Users' posts)
    >>pet battles! We collect SO MANY pets, and yet there are just a cosmetic. What a HUGE potential lies within those tiny beats!

>>ASOC - a new server in Asia and Oceania. If people have a bad ping there, it would be great if they had a server reaching their places more easily. And hey, it would make THREE servers, not two.

>>possibility to dye barding

>>possibility to switch UI between guild bank<-->bank<-->guild trader

>>display the dialogue options so that we can see which answer the NPC is reacting to

>>a way to make Overland more challenging - for those who want