Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Can't capture resources alone anymore?

wheresbes
wheresbes
✭✭✭✭
While not in a group or stalking a group o:) I went to capture a resource by myself and failed. Thing is, I used to do this in the past (I was 200cp back then with worst gear) with great success. Now, I'm geared all offensive still no issues with health dropping low *but* there's one type of guard (the honour one I think) that at one point gets back to full health.

The only thing I'm doing differently that I can think of is that I fight at range, previously melee.

What am I missing?
  • Vizirith
    Vizirith
    ✭✭✭✭
    wheresbes wrote: »
    While not in a group or stalking a group o:) I went to capture a resource by myself and failed. Thing is, I used to do this in the past (I was 200cp back then with worst gear) with great success. Now, I'm geared all offensive still no issues with health dropping low *but* there's one type of guard (the honour one I think) that at one point gets back to full health.

The only thing I'm doing differently that I can think of is that I fight at range, previously melee.

What am I missing?

The honor guards (the 2 heavy armor guards on the flag) have a heal to full but they can only do it so often. Either do enough damage and when they get to about 60%-ish health cc them and then kill them before they heal. Or just keep wailing on them and they'll die. There is no difference fighting them melee vs ranged.
  • wheresbes
    wheresbes
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks, I'll give it a try later.
    I still don't understand why it was easier before though :|
  • Theignson
    Theignson
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You have to kill the menders or they will just keep healing the honor guards to full health.

One way is to run into the resource tower, a guard comes in and a mender. Kill the guard and mender. Go upstairs and kill the mage.
    Then run down and out and kill the menders. A good area effect is useful. If you want to take the risk that no enemy players will come, you could use your ultimate. Vampire's ultimate quickly kills everything around a flag.
    Once the menders are down, focus the annoying honor guards. If you are squishy you can actually die (they boosted gaurd damage and tankiness at some point) so be prepared to heal yourself.
    Quakrson, Stam DK, Grand Overlord
    Trackrsen, Stam Warden, Grand Overlord
    Quakrsen, Mag DK, Overlord
    Tolliverson, Stam NB, General
    Farfarel, Stam Necro, Praetorian
    Spencerson, Templar, Prefect
    Phosphorsen, Stam Sorc, Colonel
    Phosphorson, Mag Sorc, Centurion
    Glimson, Arcanist, Major
    All EP/ PC NA
  • driosketch
    driosketch
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    It's something of a dps check. After you've cleared the rest as @Theidnson describes, (some rss have other npcs that wander close to the flag), focus on bursting down the guards. Build up your ult. If you see one heal, turn your full attention on them. That will give you the maximum amount of time to kill that guard before it can heal again.
    Main: Drio Azul ~ DC, Redguard, Healer/Magicka Templar ~ NA-PC
    ●The Psijic Order●The Sidekick Order●Great House Hlaalu●Bal-Busters●
  • Grimlok_S
    Grimlok_S
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Try standing in melee range next time.

The honour guards ranged attacks smack a bit harder than their melee, iirc.

Generally the easiest route is to take out the mage guard, followed by the healer and base guard that follow you into tower.
    Then see if you can cleave the flag guards.
    Light Attack Hero

Class context
    Stamplar
    StamDK
    Stamsorc
    MagDK
    StamMAGStamden
    Magplar
    Stam NB
    Bomb NB
  • wheresbes
    wheresbes
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thank you all for the tips, much appreciated. I'll give it a try again when things settle down a bit. If I get any issue with survivability (I haven't got a burst heal) I might switch to heavy armour (I do this when I solo WBs, these guards can't be worst than them lol). I also need to remember that I've got an ultimate, for some reasons I never use that :/
  • Jaraal
    Jaraal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, I always tag the tower healer and guard, run into the tower making sure they follow me, and then run up to the tower mage and kill all three up there. Focus the mage on the ledge and burn them down, because they won't move from that spot and may get healed from below.

Refresh your resources in the back of the tower, then run straight to the flag. Throw Razor Caltrops on all 4 NPCs, which will lower their resistances and make them easier to kill. Focus both healers until dead, than finish the honor guards. I like to run Spiked Bone Shield, which is a thorn skill available to anyone that gives you a damage shield and returns damage to your attackers.

Of course, this is a melee strategy, I don't play range, so there may be better ways of accomplishing that.
    RIP Bosmer Nation. 4/4/14 - 2/25/19.
  • FrancisCrawford
    FrancisCrawford
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Jaraal wrote: »
    Yeah, I always tag the tower healer and guard, run into the tower making sure they follow me, and then run up to the tower mage and kill all three up there. Focus the mage on the ledge and burn them down, because they won't move from that spot and may get healed from below.

Refresh your resources in the back of the tower, then run straight to the flag. Throw Razor Caltrops on all 4 NPCs, which will lower their resistances and make them easier to kill. Focus both healers until dead, than finish the honor guards. I like to run Spiked Bone Shield, which is a thorn skill available to anyone that gives you a damage shield and returns damage to your attackers.

Of course, this is a melee strategy, I don't play range, so there may be better ways of accomplishing that.

I do similar things ranged.

I usually don't bother tagging, as I just ride in on my horse. They usually follow anyway. When I've finished the first-floor fight I go up to visit the mage, who's an easy kill without his allies helping him. Then I go back down, go outside, focus menders, etc.

That straightforward strategy works unless other players show up.

However, it's fair to note that I go to Cyrodiil with builds very similar to what I might use in PvE. So Cyrodiil PvE is easier for me that it might be for some other folks. ;)
  • Jaraal
    Jaraal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    However, it's fair to note that I go to Cyrodiil with builds very similar to what I might use in PvE. So Cyrodiil PvE is easier for me that it might be for some other folks. ;)

I like to throw on the Sellistrix monster set if I'm going to be doing resources, as it's a good AOE stun vs NPCs, who don't break free. Against players, there are better 2 pc sets.

RIP Bosmer Nation. 4/4/14 - 2/25/19.
  • mook-eb16_ESO
    mook-eb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    the easy way for ranged is

1 kill the mender and guard near the tower steps first from the side of the tower try to stay out of range of the guards on the flag.
    2 kill mage on tower
    3 kill menders on flag
    4 kill guards.
  • GreenHere
    GreenHere
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Bit of an old topic, but... Are you in a different campaign now than when you found resource caps easy, OP?

Unless I'm mistaken, those fools are just straight up nastier in regular campaigns vs under 50 or no CP or something... My memory is fuzzy, and things may have changed (I took a long break from ESO, so...), but I do believe the npcs are balanced differently in different campaigns.

Also, they get buffs related to how their alliance is doing, no? (again, going from shoddy memory here)

Can anyone knowledgeable on this mechanic set me straight here?

EDIT :: Nevermind, I'm dumb... shoulda looked it up before spouting nonsense. My bad! : P

Here's likely the answer to what's going on for you, @wheresbes
    Resources do get harder under conditions outlined on that helpful wiki page. UESP almost always has the answers!

Edited by GreenHere on February 10, 2021 7:44AM
  • wheresbes
    wheresbes
    ✭✭✭✭
    GreenHere wrote: »
    Bit of an old topic, but... Are you in a different campaign now than when you found resource caps easy, OP?

Unless I'm mistaken, those fools are just straight up nastier in regular campaigns vs under 50 or no CP or something... My memory is fuzzy, and things may have changed (I took a long break from ESO, so...), but I do believe the npcs are balanced differently in different campaigns.

Also, they get buffs related to how their alliance is doing, no? (again, going from shoddy memory here)

EDIT :: Nevermind, I'm dumb... shoulda looked it up before spouting nonsense. My bad! : P

Resources do get harder under conditions outlined on that helpful wiki page. UESP almost always has the answers!

Hi @GreenHere yeah, the UESP website is great, it's my go-to resource since Oblivion times :) I missed that page though, thank you for providing the link, it explains quite a few things.

Nonetheless, I had few other occasions to solo resources and, as long as I go melee, I can actually pull it off!
  • GreenHere
    GreenHere
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    wheresbes wrote: »
    GreenHere wrote: »

Hi @GreenHere yeah, the UESP website is great, it's my go-to resource since Oblivion times :) I missed that page though, thank you for providing the link, it explains quite a few things.

Nonetheless, I had few other occasions to solo resources and, as long as I go melee, I can actually pull it off!

Right on! Glad it's working out for you now! : )
  • ealdwin
    ealdwin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Theignson wrote: »
    You have to kill the menders or they will just keep healing the honor guards to full health.

One way is to run into the resource tower, a guard comes in and a mender. Kill the guard and mender. Go upstairs and kill the mage.
    Then run down and out and kill the menders. A good area effect is useful. If you want to take the risk that no enemy players will come, you could use your ultimate. Vampire's ultimate quickly kills everything around a flag.
    Once the menders are down, focus the annoying honor guards. If you are squishy you can actually die (they boosted gaurd damage and tankiness at some point) so be prepared to heal yourself.

They also gave all npc guards a shield against siege at some point. Used to be you could open up with a few fires from a siege weapon to take out a few guards and wear them down.
  • grkkll
    grkkll
    ✭✭✭
    Risking an obvious question but have you strayed into no cp? That's the only time I've experienced what you're describing
  • orion_1981usub17_ESO
    orion_1981usub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do remember that we all got a nerf to healing in pvp some time ago. So this is likely why you can't simply lol over the guards like before. I know how you feel, I used to run up, drop aoe and watch them melt before my light armor characters, but no more. Now you must be slightly tanky to stand toe to toe, and be ready for more stuns, silence, and immobilized, those seem more often now too.
  • Nordic__Knights
    Nordic__Knights
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    THIS IS AN L2P ISSUE
    i play solo and cap them solo all the time , yes there harder then they once was but they still can be done you just need to learn what npcs to take out 1st ect ect