Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

How far are we now ?

PunkAben
PunkAben
✭✭✭
The development of technology and software is revolutionary, it is amazing so fast everything goes.
A game like eve got 8,825 players pnline at same time.
Eve is free to play and not as good product as a paid game.

Cyrodiil is able to hold 2000 players at a time, with 200 able to appear on screen at once. With 16 keeps and their surrounding areas to capture and control and six Elder Scrolls to steal, there is plenty to keep PvP diehards constantly busy in this epic zone.

This is many years ago and with the revolutionary development, it could be nice to know how far are we now ?
3000 at each side ? 4000 at each side ?
How much have Zenimax moved since day zero ?

I like computer game and i like this MMO games so much.
Long live Zenimax software team.
The good news about computers is that they do what you tell them to do.The bad news is that they do what you tell them to do.Ted NelsonElder Scrolls Online most balanced part is maybe the the number of bugs and not bugs!
  • oXI_Viper_IXo
    oXI_Viper_IXo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    This is the only game I've ever played that's managed to get consistently worse over time.

Cyrodiil only holds maybe around 300 players now and the performance is way worse than it used to be with many more players.

A lot of this has to do with them making calculations server side instead of client side due to rampant cheating.

They've tried many different things to try and improve performance to no avail and have actually made it worse in many cases.
  • Greasytengu
    Greasytengu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is the only game I've ever played that's managed to get consistently worse over time.

Cyrodiil only holds maybe around 300 players now and the performance is way worse than it used to be with many more players.

A lot of this has to do with them making calculations server side instead of client side due to rampant cheating.

They've tried many different things to try and improve performance to no avail and have actually made it worse in many cases.

You know at this point the cheating is probably less jarring and rage inducing than the lag.
    " I nEeD HeAlInG!!! "
  • manny254
    manny254
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I suspect articles like this are why they never talk about current POP Cap numbers.

Someone might go and call this false advertisement.
    - Mojican
  • PunkAben
    PunkAben
    ✭✭✭
    ESO is not a game i recommand to any at all :neutral:
    I like the game, it have the potential for be a good game but for now i wont recommand it to any.
    I start play becouse my brother ask me if we could join a game together, my brother stop for long time ago.
    Many of my friends i meet in the game are here not anymore.
    When people stop playing ESO it is not like other games, in other games people sometimes return.
    My experience is the people i see leave the game only a few return and only for short time, then the leave again.
    It is sad and i sometimes wonder, why do i keep pay for a game i have hope will be better, i have hope now for almost 7 years.
    The good news about computers is that they do what you tell them to do.The bad news is that they do what you tell them to do.Ted NelsonElder Scrolls Online most balanced part is maybe the the number of bugs and not bugs!
  • alterfenixeb17_ESO
    alterfenixeb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    PunkAben wrote: »
    The development of technology and software is revolutionary, it is amazing so fast everything goes.
    A game like eve got 8,825 players pnline at same time.
    Eve is free to play and not as good product as a paid game.

Cyrodiil is able to hold 2000 players at a time, with 200 able to appear on screen at once. With 16 keeps and their surrounding areas to capture and control and six Elder Scrolls to steal, there is plenty to keep PvP diehards constantly busy in this epic zone.

This is many years ago and with the revolutionary development, it could be nice to know how far are we now ?
    3000 at each side ? 4000 at each side ?
    How much have Zenimax moved since day zero ?

I like computer game and i like this MMO games so much.
    Long live Zenimax software team.

A few points:
    • EvE is not really that much more f2p product than The Elder Scrolls Online. You can check limits of free accounts there and you will see why this is closer to rather some demo version. Just the fact that not all skills can be trained on free account makes it such.
    • Did not check for a long time but if you say it is only 8k players in prime time then it would look like game is dying after more than 15 years:-) Back those few years ago there were constantly 40k - 60k players logged in at the same time. One world for everyone. Sounds familiar btw, doesn't it?:-)
    • 2k was at launch and if you go through history of announcements / pach notes since 2014 you will notice that it was mostly about reducing the capacity and not increasing it. With situations like we had last year it would seem that this may be even less than 300 for real. I mean seriously first having to wait in a queue (as confirmation of a pop lock) and then it appears that there are like 2 full groups plus some randoms all around the place so with some luck maybe 100 players in a single alliance. Btw that reminds me, ZOS. DAoC had it always bigger than that, right? Almost 20 years ago. WAR had population cap limit on forts - 200 PER SIDE. And that excluded at least another 200 players in neighboring zone. That makes it almost 1000 players playing more less in the same area. Both were working well btw. WAR was often crashing, true but other than that the actual lag was not nearly as bad as here. That really gives something to think about.

Edited by alterfenixeb17_ESO on January 27, 2021 6:20PM
  • JkahrrRadnar
    JkahrrRadnar
    ✭✭✭
    Jep, we're very far from the initial populations as in: There is less.

Tho at this point I question if raising the pop cap would even make a difference to the playerbase. Notice that there aren't many complaints about people not getting into campaigns during a regular night -implying that even though pop cap is at an all-time low, there aren't enough players wanting to get in for it to be a problem.

I remember a time (4ish years ago) when <50 would pop lock nearly every night of the week. Haven't seen that happening in at least 2 years. It must be a calculated risk for nobody under CP to play/enjoy Cyro PvP. Either ZoS doesn't know what to do about it or intends to let AvAvA die out.

No steady influx of new players => overall declining pop => low pop in an area designed for a massive amount of players (map size, game mechanics like sieging etc) => fewer aspects of the mechanic working as intended & advertised => less of an appeal to a wider audience => even more rampant elitism => the cycle continues.

The people constantly complaining about PuGs/randoms should not forget that once average campaign pop is down to 3x 12 person ballgroups and a handful of gankers, the costs of maintaining the service at all will outweigh the revenue generated by its limited and highly specialized playerbase.
    Edited by JkahrrRadnar on January 29, 2021 12:35PM
  • alterfenixeb17_ESO
    alterfenixeb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Jep, we're very far from the initial populations as in: There is less.

Tho at this point I question if raising the pop cap would even make a difference to the playerbase. Notice that there aren't many complaints about people not getting into campaigns during a regular night -implying that even though pop cap is at an all-time low, there aren't enough players wanting to get in for it to be a problem.

I remember a time (4ish years ago) when <50 would pop lock nearly every night of the week. Haven't seen that happening in at least 2 years. It must be a calculated risk for nobody under CP to play/enjoy Cyro PvP. Either ZoS doesn't know what to do about it or intends to let AvAvA die out.

No steady influx of new players => overall declining pop => low pop in an area designed for a massive amount of players (map size, game mechanics like sieging etc) => fewer aspects of the mechanic working as intended & advertised => less of an appeal to a wider audience => even more rampant elitism => the cycle continues.

The people constantly complaining about PuGs/randoms should not forget that once average campaign pop is down to 3x 12 person ballgroups and a handful of gankers, the costs of maintaining the service at all will outweigh the revenue generated by its limited and highly specialized playerbase.
    You are right and it is hard to argue with that. However point of the question about capacity limit is rather something else. Those 6 years ago we had game that had it's flows (crashes, bugs, lag) but otherwise it was working fairly well considering ordinary issues of it's childhood. Over years while competitors seemed to either maintain what they had (if not improve things) for ZOS the biggest chance of reducing lag and crashes was only limiting population cap and that's it.

Recommending reducing capacity to 3 x 12 is one thing and actually following that path is something entirely different. People will always complain even if game they signed up for is something else they imagined in the first place but that does not mean ZOS needs to do what they say.
  • WaywardArgonian
    WaywardArgonian
    ✭✭✭✭

Even more recently than that (1 year ago or so) it was still possible to find some good fights in U50 Cyrodiil on the regular, at least on PC/EU. When I played it again about 4 months back, I got into the weekly top 10 players for my faction after 2-3 hours of playing. I encountered less than 10 enemy players during that entire time.

Though I should also add that the inclusion of certain features has made it increasingly pointless to go into U50 Cyrodiil on a fresh character as opposed to regular Cyrodiil. With players being able to purchase skill lines for new characters, and more recently recreating sets from the stickerbook at a low level, the few people who still play U50 run unkilleable golded out builds. Newcomers have a better shot at learning things about PVP in a regular server than they do in the U50 one.
    PC/EU altaholic | DC Gray Host graveyard shift | Former Empanada of Ravenwatch | @ degonyte in-game | Nibani Ilath-Pal (AD Nightblade) - AvA rank 50 | Jehanne Teymour (AD Sorcerer) - AvA rank 50 | Niria Ilath-Pal (AD Templar) - AvA rank 50
  • red_emu
    red_emu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    It's probably about 70-80 players per alliance on pop lock.
    PC - EU:
    Falathren Noctis - AD MagNecro
    Falathren - AD StamSorc
    Falathren Eryndaer - AD StamDen
    Falathren Irimion - AD MagPlar
    Talagan Falathren - AD StamDK
    Falathren Infernis - AD MagDK
    Your-Ex - AD MagBlade
  • ThreeXB
    ThreeXB
    ✭✭✭✭
    I've been saying the same thing for years. The faster they fix the performance and RAISE Cyrodiil's population cap the faster pvp and pvp guilds will recover
  • erio
    erio
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    isnt it really capped at like 300 or something. Def not anything near 2000
    Edited by erio on February 6, 2021 12:40AM
  • LightYagami
    LightYagami
    ✭✭✭✭✭

"They've tried many different things to try and improve performance" - Except investing enough money in PvP servers.
    No improvement on Cyrodill servers -> no ESO plus renewal.
  • oXI_Viper_IXo
    oXI_Viper_IXo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

"They've tried many different things to try and improve performance" - Except investing enough money in PvP servers.

They said they're upgrading and replacing their servers this year but also said that we shouldn't expect any kind of performance gains.
  • ThreeXB
    ThreeXB
    ✭✭✭✭
    erio wrote: »
    isnt it really capped at like 300 or something. Def not anything near 2000

Its estimated cyrodiil total cap 400-450, I personally think it's closer to 400 and not 450
  • LightYagami
    LightYagami
    ✭✭✭✭✭

They said they're upgrading and replacing their servers this year but also said that we shouldn't expect any kind of performance gains.

They are probably investing 99% of their fund in PvE servers and keeping the sweet 1%for PvP.
    No improvement on Cyrodill servers -> no ESO plus renewal.