The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Which class for pvp (at the moment) sorc or Templar?

Wilkesy91
Wilkesy91
Hi, was going to wait until 810 to create a pvp build but I’ll have a go today. Which would be better Templar or sorc ? And then Stam or mage within that class. I was thinking a stamplar and I’ll be a bit more tanky whilst also having a change from making another mage build. Already have both levelled up just want to know which would be better suited for pvp ?

Want something tanky/survivablity whilst also having good dps and has a simple rotation.

Would us play also go to skinny cheeks for pve builds, where is a good go to for pvp builds?

Cheers
  • Grimlok_S
    Grimlok_S
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Anyone well practiced can find success on either class, mag or stam.

Stamplar is in a kind of rough patch right now. Can't believe I'm saying this, but Stamsorcs actually make better use of their class passives.

You have a better chance of escaping a zerg with Ball of Lightning/Streak and can reset fights with Dark Deal.

Stamsorcs also have Major Brutality in their class kit so you can mess around with different weapon setups, you aren't shoehorned into 2h.

Light Attack Hero

Class context
    Stamplar
    StamDK
    Stamsorc
    MagDK
    StamMAGStamden
    Magplar
    Stam NB
    Bomb NB
  • wheem_ESO
    wheem_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stamina Sorcerer is one of the best PvP classes in the game for all situations right now, and probably #1 for soloing in open world Cyrodiil or Imperial City. The mobility is completely unmatched, single target burst damage is incredible (especially when combo'd with Vateshran 2h), and sustain is also quite good. It's also going to be a lot more forgiving than pretty much anything else, and has the option of using one of the most important group-oriented PvP Ultimates in the game - Negate.
  • MurderMostFoul
    MurderMostFoul
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sorc is better at PvP currently.
    “There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so.”
  • fred4
    fred4
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    wheem_ESO wrote: »
    Stamina Sorcerer is one of the best PvP classes in the game for all situations right now, and probably #1 for soloing in open world Cyrodiil or Imperial City. The mobility is completely unmatched, single target burst damage is incredible (especially when combo'd with Vateshran 2h), and sustain is also quite good. It's also going to be a lot more forgiving than pretty much anything else, and has the option of using one of the most important group-oriented PvP Ultimates in the game - Negate.
    Huh? All accurate in a technical sense, but I've never seen stamsorc that highly rated, although I do currently play one and it's probably my best character for Midyear Mayhem. Hmm, I guess you're right.

Let's run down the classes from my perspective as a long time CP PvPer who plays multiple classes:

Stamplar: Hard to play. I never came to grips with it. Not tanky and no good class heals. The cleanse, sure, is a strong and unique skill, but is situational. Jabs can do a ton of damage, but you can't block cast it. This adds up to a class that must IMO be played very aggressively to be successful. Not a good class for a new PvPer. I guess you could look into a healthplar build like Kristofer ESO is currently playing, if you insist.

Magplar: More solid and forgiving than stamplar, but not strong this patch. Can feel quite visceral and mobile for a magicka character, if you build for it, but ultimately doesn't have the escape skill that is Bolt Escape. Nice straightforward toolkit, but best played in a group. Does not match sorc for mobility and is IMO outclassed in tankiness and damage by the Brawler stamsorc build I play.

Stamsorc: Pretty easy to play, more so than magsorc for me personally or at least my current build, which uses a Master's 2H weapon. That weapon basically turns it into a magplar without the downsides. It's an AOE cone and the Brawler shield is stronger than the healing you get from Puncturing Sweeps. It hits all targets equally strong, not just one. It's not a channel, so you can block cast it - a major advantage. You get mobility from Bolt Escape. If playing this class I recommend either Eternal Vigor or Engine Guardian for mag sustain for Bolt Escape / Dark Deal. I don't like the Torc. My build, for what it's worth. Just try Ravager, but beware it makes no sense and will be fixed / nerfed next path ;). I recommend Escapist's Poison and tri-pots for this build:

https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Special:EsoBuildData?id=313792

Magsorc: A strong class with a distinct build pattern and playstyle that has never really changed. The main disadvantage in Midyear Mayhem is that it's a single target class unless perhaps you go for some kind of heavy attack pet build. I don't really play this class. I don't believe it is especially hard to play, but if you have no PvP experience then balancing your shield discipline with your attack rotation is probably harder to learn than stamsorc. I direct everyone who wants to play magsorc to Malcolm on YouTube.
    PC EU (EP): Magicka NB (main), Stamina NB, Stamina DK, Stamina Sorcerer, Magicka Warden, Magicka Templar, Stamina Templar
    PC NA (EP): Magicka NB
  • jaws343
    jaws343
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would say Mag Sorc is the better option to go with if you are looking for a simple rotation and decent damage and survivability.

The problem is, unless you are experienced with a mag Sorc, you are going to have trouble handling other players in the current high health proc meta. Sorcs are a very bursty playstyle and require a lot of setting up burst and repeating if you fail to get a kill. And almost your entire combo is dodgeable. Sustained damage from a sorc is a bit rough with repositioning constantly to stay out of melee range, raising shields to prevent falling over from most attacks, and having to turn your camera around after a streak.

I think Magplar is a little more forgiving. You have a gapcloser that acts as a stun and places you on top of your opponent rather than on the other side. You have an AOE spammable that heals you. You have an undodgeabal execute. A decent melee range ultimate, and a really strong burst heal. Your ability to disengage from an enemy and reposition is not as good as a Mag Sorc, unless you are a vamp running mist form. But your sustained damage is pretty solid.

Now, all of that is assuming you aren't just running 3 proc sets and 35K+ health. If you are doing that, it really doesn't matter which class you play. I personally enjoy the non pet, non proc, mag sorc gameplay, even when there are enemies I know I will never have the power to burst down and kill.
  • fred4
    fred4
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I swapped Ravager out for Eternal Vigor and took my stamsorc into BGs. Here is the result. Rotation is almost as simple as it can get: Spam Brawler B):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VniS3OdmC6k
    PC EU (EP): Magicka NB (main), Stamina NB, Stamina DK, Stamina Sorcerer, Magicka Warden, Magicka Templar, Stamina Templar
  • dcmgti
    dcmgti
    ✭✭✭
    I would say sorc. Streak is by far the most oppressive stun in the game. Even worse when you can spam it on someone and cc break doesn't work. It can't be dodged, blocked, does damage, mitigates damage, can sustain it with built in class abilities, can stun others during their cc animation, offers incredible mobility and people can me burst down in two streaks.

So yeah, I would go sorc.

And to think, people complain about mist form.....
    Edited by dcmgti on February 3, 2021 8:13AM
  • Qbiken
    Qbiken
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sorc > templar. And that goes for both magicka and stamina.
  • Firstmep
    Firstmep
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Magsorc is great for across all skills levels, for a new player it can teach you the importance of timing and combo-abilities together.
    Templar is more of a pressure class, however good they're at it right now.
    Templars have a more distinct difference between offensive and defensive widows, than sorc.
    Stamsorc is very varied in terms of playstyle, mostly due to the variety of procsets and getting most of their dmg out of class.
    Stamplar is more traditional, relying on jabs heavily(at least for meta builds),the build variety isn't really there.
    I'd say mag or stamsorc rn is in a better place.
    For a new pvper I'd start magsorc, altho bolt escape might teach you some bad habits down the line, when you want to try out some other classes.
  • THEDKEXPERIENCE
    THEDKEXPERIENCE
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I love my Magplar but the answer is Sorc for most people.
  • wheem_ESO
    wheem_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    fred4 wrote: »
    Huh? All accurate in a technical sense, but I've never seen stamsorc that highly rated, although I do currently play one and it's probably my best character for Midyear Mayhem. Hmm, I guess you're right.
    The setup you're playing is fairly different from what's typical among most Stam Sorcs right now. Most of the time it's either various stat sets + Dizzying Swing/Crystal Weapon/Vateshran 2h proc/off balance stun/Dawnbreaker combos, or proc set builds, oftentimes with Unleashed Terror applying in an AOE triggered by Streak. Both setups can also Bombard spam if they want, though it's typically more common on the proc builds, as they aren't usually trying to move from 1-shot to 1-shot.
  • fred4
    fred4
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    wheem_ESO wrote: »
    The setup you're playing is fairly different from what's typical among most Stam Sorcs right now. Most of the time it's either various stat sets + Dizzying Swing/Crystal Weapon/Vateshran 2h proc/off balance stun/Dawnbreaker combos, or proc set builds, oftentimes with Unleashed Terror applying in an AOE triggered by Streak. Both setups can also Bombard spam if they want, though it's typically more common on the proc builds, as they aren't usually trying to move from 1-shot to 1-shot.
    Yeah, that could be. I'm in two stamsorc threads at the moment and wanted to provide a counterpoint to the conventional wisdom promulgated in the other thread. I currently play that Brawler build anyway. For those who didn't skip to the end of my video, I was in a team of 3 against 2 teams of 4 and we almost won. My score was 11 kills, 22 assists, 3 deaths.

Brawler is strong in low MMR BGs, which I figured may be one of the things the OP is enjoying at level 26. That said, I reckon it hinges on that Master's 2H weapon. The flat 1.5K bonus per target appears to be especially effective in no CP, much like procs. Still, with reconstruction you could actually make such a build at level 26 and a purple weapon would be sufficient.

I believe a properly spec'd Vateshran burst build would be superior 1v1 and against better players in general. That said, another stamsorc or warden can have a hard time killing my build. I ran into a player who rattled off their Dizzying combo to little effect against my Brawler shield only to be killed by my pressure. He didn't do it a second time - he had been asleep at the wheel maybe - but it goes to show Brawler is not so bad. What does kill me easily is DOT pressure on the one hand, e.g. a good DK, or a strong ranged (magsorc) build on the other. I'm forced to heavily roll and LoS against the latter.

Sometimes I think what separates the good from the great players is their mouse control. I play a fast medium armor build. Basically, if they're able to track me accurately, especially after I streak through them, and their PC and Internet is up to scratch - good framerate, no positional desyncs , ZOS servers not acting up - then they get me.
    Edited by fred4 on February 4, 2021 8:22AM
  • WoppaBoem
    WoppaBoem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Arena Destro, Zaan, mist form magplar OP, stam sorc most fun and hyper active gameplay.
    Xbox EU & NA - PVP Only
  • fred4
    fred4
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    WoppaBoem wrote: »
    Arena Destro, Zaan, mist form magplar OP, stam sorc most fun and hyper active gameplay.
    I have not tried the magplar you describe, but it was recommended to me independently as well. If I've been lukewarm about magplar, that could be the reason :D.
  • wheem_ESO
    wheem_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    WoppaBoem wrote: »
    I have not tried the magplar you describe, but it was recommended to me independently as well. If I've been lukewarm about magplar, that could be the reason :D.
    Cleanse, cloak, decent mobility, or simply having a healer available will all completely hardcounter the offense of the build he's referring to, but the same is not as easily said for dealing with a Stam Sorc running a proper burst setup. Sure, the Stamina Sorcerer is generally going to be easier to kill for classes/builds that have very high burst damage and/or mobility of their own, but taking them out is very much a hopeless endeavor for quite a few others.
  • Neoauspex
    Neoauspex
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sorc