The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Hybrids won today!

StarOfElyon
StarOfElyon
✭✭✭✭✭
*cue my Altmer hybrid doing the Carson Shearer dance*

Spell swords rise!
Equipped Armor pieces now passively augment your character’s effectiveness at a base line, in addition to their purchasable passives. Their effects are now denoted in the Armor section of the Skills screen and are unlocked immediately upon unlocking the Skill Line itself. You can find their effects below:

Light Armor Bonuses
Reduces your damage taken from “Magical” (Magic, Flame, Frost, and Shock Damage) attacks by 1% per piece worn
Reduces the cost of Roll Dodge by 3% per piece worn
Increases your Movement Speed while Sneaking by 5% per piece worn
Reduces the cost of Break Free by 5% per piece worn
Reduces the cost of Bash by 3% per piece worn

Light Armor Penalties
Increases your damage taken from “Martial” (Physical, Poison, Disease, and Bleed Damage) attacks by 1% per piece worn
Increases the cost of Block by 3% per piece worn
Decreases your damage done with Bash by 1% per piece worn

Medium Armor Bonuses
Reduces the cost of Sprint by 1% per piece worn
Reduces the cost of Sneak by 5% per piece worn
Reduces the cost of Block by 3% per piece worn
Reduces your damage taken from Area of Effect Attacks by 2% for 2 seconds after you Roll Dodge
Increases your Movement Speed by 2% while immune to crowd control

Heavy Armor Bonuses
Reduces your damage taken from Martial attacks by 1% per piece worn
Increases the amount of damage blocked by 1% per piece worn
Increases damage done with Bash by 3% per piece worn
Reduces your damage taken while immune to crowd control by 2% per piece worn

Heavy Armor Penalties
Increases your damage taken from Magical attacks by 1% per piece worn
Reduces the Movement Speed bonus of Sprint by 1% per piece worn
Increases the cost of Roll Dodge by 3% per piece worn
Increases the size of your detection area while Sneaking by 10% per piece worn (making you easier to detect)

The above changes were done to help increase the effect that Armor plays on your build, by augmenting your Core Combat Mechanics such as Break Free, Roll Dodge, and Sprint in ways that are not already apparent in the paradigms. Additionally, the “Rock Paper Scissors” effect that Armor was originally meant to follow should have more sharp effects in PvP situations, where Light Armor is stronger versus Heavy but weaker versus Medium, and Heavy is stronger versus Medium.

We also tried to avoid outright buffing the same exact playstyles that already exist with some Armor types in efforts to improve armor viability, rather than reinforcing the existing patterns.
For example, Light Armor has much more freedom with most of its Stamina costs but is less effective with outright soaking damage. Heavy Armor is now slower but bulkier, and Medium Armor is more slippery but with less sharp bonuses as it has no drawbacks.

All armor passives now scale per piece of Armor equipped, rather than some of them granting bonuses while wearing 5 pieces or more. This, along with the new penalty and bonus system of Armor, should help diversify build variety and increase the viability of unique options such as 4/3 and all 7 pieces of the same Armor weight being worn.

Light Armor
Concentration: This passive now grants 469/939 Spell Penetration per piece of Light Armor worn, rather than 2442/4884 when wearing 5 pieces or more.
Prodigy: This passive now grants 0.5/1% Spell Critical per piece of Light Armor worn, rather than 5/10% when wearing 5 pieces or more.
Spell Warding: Increased the amount of Spell Resistance granted per rank to 363/726, up from 182/363.

Medium Armor
Agility: This passive now grants 1/2% Weapon Damage per piece of Medium Armor worn, rather than 7/15% when wearing 5 pieces or more.
Dexterity: Decreased the amount of Weapon Critical granted to 0.3/0.6/1% per piece of Medium Armor worn, down from 0.3/1/1.5% per piece.

Heavy Armor
Rapid Mending: This passive now increases your Healing Taken by 1% for every 2/1 pieces of Heavy Armor worn, rather than 4/8% when wearing 5 pieces or more.
Resolve: Decreased the amount of Armor granted per piece of Heavy Armor worn to 114/229/343, down from 121/142/363.
Revitalize: This passive now increases the resources restored from your fully-charged Heavy Attacks by 2/4% per piece of Heavy Armor worn, rather than 12/25% when wearing 5 pieces or more.

• WrathOfInnos
    WrathOfInnos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    And bows/daggers now give Spell Crit. Base mag and stam pools were increased. Just need to see if the new CP system is friendly to hybrids, Mighty/Elemental Expert was one of the few remaining obstacles.
  • Solariken
    Solariken
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    They need to go a step further and make light armor grant physical penetration/crit, and medium grant spell power/crit
  • Cheveyo
    Cheveyo
    ✭✭✭✭
    If they added a CP node or skill that made it so strong melee weapon attacks generated magicka instead of stam, I'd be so happy...

Melee mage is something I've always wanted in this game.
  • Casul
    Casul
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I always talk people down who bring up hybrids. After seeing these notes I may make one myself just to mix things up.
    PvP needs more love.
  • ExistingRug61
    ExistingRug61
    ✭✭✭✭
    And bows/daggers now give Spell Crit. Base mag and stam pools were increased. Just need to see if the new CP system is friendly to hybrids, Mighty/Elemental Expert was one of the few remaining obstacles.

In general it is looking like it is, from the images (of the slottable skills) I have seen anyway. Haven't seen anything that refers to damage types in the elemental sense (phys/mag/fire tec), only in the mechanical type sense (ie: direct, aoe, dot etc). Spell and weapon damage seem to always be together and critical damage isn't split into physical and magical either. The only thing I've seen that is still split are the stars that just give a stat (ie: mag or stam), which I'd say is fair.
    So it would only be if there are non- hybrid friendly BiS stars that aren't slottable (I haven't seen the non-slottable ones yet), which I suspect is unlikely.

There's still the issue with armour that each piece is specific, ie: you have to choose mag or stam as there isn't really a hybrid dps armour choice, but at least there is more flexibility in the number of pieces of each.
  • VocalThought
    VocalThought
    ✭✭✭
    If you make a nude character, you could avoid the penalties!
  • StarOfElyon
    StarOfElyon
    ✭✭✭✭✭

In general it is looking like it is, from the images (of the slottable skills) I have seen anyway. Haven't seen anything that refers to damage types in the elemental sense (phys/mag/fire tec), only in the mechanical type sense (ie: direct, aoe, dot etc). Spell and weapon damage seem to always be together and critical damage isn't split into physical and magical either. The only thing I've seen that is still split are the stars that just give a stat (ie: mag or stam), which I'd say is fair.
    So it would only be if there are non- hybrid friendly BiS stars that aren't slottable (I haven't seen the non-slottable ones yet), which I suspect is unlikely.

There's still the issue with armour that each piece is specific, ie: you have to choose mag or stam as there isn't really a hybrid dps armour choice, but at least there is more flexibility in the number of pieces of each.

Yeah, we're still not going to be on par with a pure build but at least now I'm not forced to put on 5 pieces of any particular armor weight to get some value out of it.
  • JMadFour
    JMadFour
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Honestly...it sounds nice...

But until you can recover Magicka from a Melee Heavy Attack, I just don't see it.
  • Fennwitty
    Fennwitty
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    If you make a nude character, you could avoid the penalties!

It's the new meta.
    PC NA
  • Faulgor
    Faulgor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Help me ignite my imagination - what would a hybrid even look like these days?

Destro back bar for Stamina builds has been an okay-ish option for some time, but what class/weapon combination do you see making interesting hybrids?
    Alandrol Sul: He's making another Numidium?!?
    Vivec: Worse, buddy. They're buying it.
  • StarOfElyon
    StarOfElyon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My Altmer Necro uses an Ice Staff on the back bar. A 2H maul on the front bar. She wears medium armor.

Stamina skills: Dizzy Swing, Executioner, Blighted Blastbones. For PVE: Ruinous Scythe

Magicka skills: Frost Reach or Wall of Ice, Mystic Syphon. For PVE: Unnerving Boneyard and Skeletal Arcanist

• MashmalloMan
    MashmalloMan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    JMadFour wrote: »

But until you can recover Magicka from a Melee Heavy Attack, I just don't see it.

Magicka recovery is great because it works 24/7, stamina regen is harder to obtain as it gets cut off when you block, sprint, etc, so I've never seen that as a huge drawback.

There is no CP node to swap heavy attack resource return, but that is a fantastic idea and I hope they add it in the future. That would be a great swappable.

There is CP node for +150 health, stam and mag regen and 2 for 1500 stam/mag return on kill.

For pve, everyone has 17k hp, so we don't need to use hp + resource foods. Hybrids already have pretty solid sustain, so it's very easy to just use the stam + mag food now and you will barely be behind other players there who are going to over sustain with something like resource + recovery parse food or have to much health with hp + resource food.

% multiplier CP nodes buff all crit damage, single target, dot or aoe damage so there are excellent hybrid options there too.
    Edited by MashmalloMan on January 30, 2021 3:17AM
    PC Beta - 1900+ CP

Stam Sorc Khajiit PvE/PVP Main || Stam Sorc Dark Elf PvP ||
    Stam Templar Dark Elf || Stam Warden Wood Elf || Stam DK Nord || Stam Necro Orc || Stam Blade Khajiit

Mag Sorc High Elf || Mag Templar High Elf || Mag Warden Breton || Mag Necro Khajiit || Mag Blade Khajiit
  • Vevvev
    Vevvev
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    JMadFour wrote: »

Magicka recovery is great because it works 24/7, stamina regen is harder to obtain as it gets cut off when you block, sprint, etc, so I've never seen that as a huge drawback.

Blocking with an ice staff with the passive that lets you block with magicka actually disables magicka recovery while blocking. Neat little bit of information to know, and why Blood Lord's Embrace can get a tad bit crazy when used right.
    PC NA - Ceyanna Ashton - Breton Vampire MagDK
  • Ryuvain
    Ryuvain
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Every class I play is a hybrid, although I don't know if they count as a true hybrid.

2 hand/Dw front bar with destro/resto back bar. Back bar is mostly for buffs or support abilities like element wall, element weakness, debuffs, dots, etc.

Those weapon passive changes are exciting.
    Edited by Ryuvain on January 30, 2021 5:43AM
    That one khajiit obsessed with werewolf behemoth and vampire lord. Lady Thorn is bae, dont @ me.
    Werewolf behemoth=vampire lord>blood scion>werewolf>vampire.
  • wheresbes
    wheresbes
    ✭✭✭✭
    Too difficult for this Nord to understand. I'll fight in my bather’s towel.

Edited because this Nord also can't spell properly.
    Edited by wheresbes on February 1, 2021 9:01AM
  • robpr
    robpr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cheveyo wrote: »
    If they added a CP node or skill that made it so strong melee weapon attacks generated magicka instead of stam, I'd be so happy...

Melee mage is something I've always wanted in this game.

There is one that gives stam/mag on kill. On DK you can increase martial status chance and equip poison to get stamina every time it procs, or magic status chance and fire enchant on weapon.
  • Feizao
    Feizao
    ✭✭✭
    Allow CP points to be put into any tree. Create the option to stack fully into 1 tree and saacrifice in another. the way i see it no DD is 'min/maxing' damage if they still have >200 CP to spend on defensive passives. IMO as of now everyone is sort of hybrib
    PS4 NA lsoSO4P
    EP - Dark Elf - MagBlade Vamp
    EP - Nord - Stam/MagDk
    EP - Argonian - StamCro
    EP - Nord - StamPlar/Hybrid Healer
    AD - Khajit - StamBlade/Tank
    AD - Khajit - StormSorc/Hybrid WW
    DC - Breton - MagDen