Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Lair of Maarselok and the Stags of Z'en

DresdenWhite
Hello! I am hoping a friendly loremaster out there can help with something that has been bothering me. In Lair of Maarselok there are wood elves who have been corrupted by the Blight. I think they are the Stags of Z'en? They are in Stags of Z'en armor. But what has perplexed me is this: why are they so tall? They'd be tall for High Elves, so as wood elves their height is exceptionally notable. There are wood elf npcs in the beginning of the dungeon in the Stags of Z'en armor who are typically sized. Please I need to know! Why are the corrupted ones so tall?!?
My PvX social guildThe Dominion Party Dojo!
  • Iccotak
    Iccotak
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hello! I am hoping a friendly loremaster out there can help with something that has been bothering me. In Lair of Maarselok there are wood elves who have been corrupted by the Blight. I think they are the Stags of Z'en? They are in Stags of Z'en armor. But what has perplexed me is this: why are they so tall? They'd be tall for High Elves, so as wood elves their height is exceptionally notable. There are wood elf npcs in the beginning of the dungeon in the Stags of Z'en armor who are typically sized. Please I need to know! Why are the corrupted ones so tall?!?

that's a gameplay mechanic to make them easier to spot in the midst of combat effects
  • Vevvev
    Vevvev
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Iccotak wrote: »

that's a gameplay mechanic to make them easier to spot in the midst of combat effects

^ this

You'll see that trick used often in gaming. One example is in Warframe when the Eximus units and the elite ones are made larger so you can make them out easier and deal with them before they become an issue.
    PC NA - Ceyanna Ashton - Breton Vampire MagDK
  • psychotrip
    psychotrip
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dont get me started on the giant death knights in Northrend back in WoW.

I really wish there was a more elegent way of doing this, but yeah this is just something MMOs are known for doing!
    Edited by psychotrip on February 1, 2021 1:20PM
    No one is saying there aren't multiple interpretations of the lore, and we're not arguing that ESO did it "wrong".

We're arguing that they decided to go for the most boring, mundane, seen-before interpretation possible. Like they almost always do, unless they can ride on the coat-tails of past games.
  • Benzux
    Benzux
    ✭✭✭✭
    As has been mentioned, this is largely (heh) just a game mechanic. Bigger enemy = bigger threat. However, given that Maarselok's blight has been seen modifying living organisms throughout the dungeon, it can be argued that these people possessed by him have had their physique altered by the Dragon's magic.
    BenzuxGamer - Xbox One since day 1 - CP 1500+
    Guildmaster of the Sacrificial Warriors, one of the oldest and most member-orientated Guilds on the Xbox One EU Megaserver
    "Casual" player from Finland who enjoys questing and dumb builds even after well over 1000 CP levels and 4000+ hours. A fan of Argonians, Goats and Elk. Also a massive Otaku (MAL Profile).
    "Following the meta makes you a sheep. That's why I'm a goat: I go in the opposite direction and make use of the things the sheep cannot." - Me, 2019
    Characters:
    Ben-Zu - Argonian MagDK DPS - EP (Main)
    Benzuth Telvanni - Dunmer MagSorc DPS - EP
    Haknir Head-Crusher - Nord DK Tank/Stam DPS - EP
    Delves-Deepest-Depths - Argonian StamBlade DPS - EP
    Raises-The-Dead - Argonian Mag Necromancer DPS7Healer - EP (Previously a Sorc healer, RIP)
    Bthuzdir Ynzavretz - Dwemer StamSorc DPS - AD (Dunmer in-game)
    Fafnir the Dragon - Nord Stam DK DPS - EP
    Bloodmage Thalnos - Breton MagBlade DPS - DC
    Finnis Wolfheart - Bosmer Stam Warden DPS - EP
    Gwyneth - Nord Warden Tank - EP
    Kud-Wazei Xeroicas - Argonian Mag Templar DPS/Tank - EP
    Barkskin Ben-Zhu - Argonian Warden Healer - EP (Alternate version of main)
    Xal-Vakka Xeroicas - Argonian DK Healer - EP
    Jaree-Shei the Wamasu - Argonian Sorcerer Tank - EP
    Gwennen Ereloth - Snow Elf Mag Warden DPS - EP (Dunmer in-game)
    Friedrich der Grosse - Imperial Nightblade Tank - EP
    Warfarin - Altmer Nightblade Healer - EP
  • Iccotak
    Iccotak
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    psychotrip wrote: »

I really wish there was a more elegent way of doing this, but yeah this is just something MMOs are known for doing!

Well if ESO was more like an Elder Scrolls game that happened to be online rather than the mmorpg that takes place in the Elder Scrolls Universe we have today - than things would have been different.

ZOS is trying to make it more like an Elder Scrolls game, piece by piece, but I do not think we will ever truly get that feeling
  • psychotrip
    psychotrip
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    psychotrip wrote: »

Well if ESO was more like an Elder Scrolls game that happened to be online rather than the mmorpg that takes place in the Elder Scrolls Universe we have today - than things would have been different.

ZOS is trying to make it more like an Elder Scrolls game, piece by piece, but I do not think we will ever truly get that feeling

Considering the wildly different tone and lore the mmo has to many of the single player games, I'm happy with ESO being an MMO first.

But this is just me being mad at ESO watering down the lore again, and no one wants another one of THOSE rants.
    No one is saying there aren't multiple interpretations of the lore, and we're not arguing that ESO did it "wrong".

We're arguing that they decided to go for the most boring, mundane, seen-before interpretation possible. Like they almost always do, unless they can ride on the coat-tails of past games.
  • Aliyavana
    Aliyavana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

this
  • Ratzkifal
    Ratzkifal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The problem is that a tiny tiny Bosmer will disappear behind a Nord tank and that obscures important casting animations which you need to see to prevent a wipe. I feel like they could have gotten away with making them a little smaller though. They look taller than Altmer.
    This Bosmer was tortured to death. There is nothing left to be done.