The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

"... unnecessary stress on the server"?

Dusk_Coven
Dusk_Coven
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭
Champion System

As mentioned earlier, the current Champion System relies on passive abilities and this was largely due to the technology that was available at the time. On the backend, the game will perform a check on most passive abilities each time you perform an action, whether that be drinking a potion, dodge rolling, or using an ability on your hotbar. The game must also constantly check passive abilities for the right thing at the right time. For example, a Champion ability such as Bastion requires the game to check if a damage shield was cast on every action your character does. Multiply that by the 30-40 passives you have on your character, and the result is a system that puts unnecessary stress on the server.

So you're concerned about too many checks?
But you let players exploit block by spamming it as often as they like, for dubious reasons. https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/514544/game-breaking-issue-spamming-block-can-now-disconnect-you-from-the-server/p1

Have you considered that the animation time provides a natural time window in which to process calculations properly?

Animation cancelling (including light attack weaving and block cancelling and bash cancelling and mashing the block button instead of holding down block, etcetera) in ESO is clearly the worst thought out "feature" that has ever been "embraced" and ESO has paid for it over and over again in constant re-coding.
Instead of doing the right thing and coding out the nonsensical exploit, ESO continues to support it and be crippled by it.

That's justice right there.

Maybe next they're going to give animation cancelling / light attack weaving / block cancellation to monsters and NPCs to make them more challenging?
Edited by Dusk_Coven on January 27, 2021 7:44PM
  • Renegader
    Renegader
    ✭✭✭
    Dusk_Coven wrote: »
    Champion System

As mentioned earlier, the current Champion System relies on passive abilities and this was largely due to the technology that was available at the time. On the backend, the game will perform a check on most passive abilities each time you perform an action, whether that be drinking a potion, dodge rolling, or using an ability on your hotbar. The game must also constantly check passive abilities for the right thing at the right time. For example, a Champion ability such as Bastion requires the game to check if a damage shield was cast on every action your character does. Multiply that by the 30-40 passives you have on your character, and the result is a system that puts unnecessary stress on the server.

So you're concerned about too many checks?
    But you let players exploit block by spamming it as often as they like, for dubious reasons. https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/514544/game-breaking-issue-spamming-block-can-now-disconnect-you-from-the-server/p1

Animation cancelling (including light attack weaving and block cancelling and bash cancelling and mashing the block button instead of holding down block, etcetera) in ESO is clearly the worst thought out "feature" that has ever been "embraced" and ESO has paid for it over and over again in constant re-coding.
    Instead of doing the right thing and coding out the nonsensical exploit, ESO continues to support it and be crippled by it.

That's justice right there.

Maybe next they're going to give animation cancelling / light attack weaving / block cancellation to monsters and NPCs to make them more challenging?

lol?
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you want reactive combat, players have to be able to take non-skill combat actions whenever they want. That includes not having a cooldown on blocking and bashing...

Oh, wait, this is shilling the old "Animation canceling and light attack weaving is an exploit and should be removed" talking points.

Nvm.
  • OlumoGarbag
    OlumoGarbag
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    you are aware, that you can only block cancle a fraction of the skills you could could block cancle before. And most of those cancles arent even looking to clean. All while they nerfed the only semi clean cancling method, bash cancling.

Im pretty sure they nerfed animation cancling more then enough.
    class representative for the working class, non-cp, bwb and Trolling
  • Merlin13KAGL
    Merlin13KAGL
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm trying to figure out how one 'spams block.'
    If Stamina bar <> 0 and Block Then Block...

Say it with me: "G C D"
    Just because you don't like the way something is doesn't necessarily make it wrong...

Earn it.

IRL'ing for a while for assorted reasons, in forum, and in game.
    I am neither warm, nor fuzzy...
    Probably has checkbox on Customer Service profile that say High Aggro, 99% immunity to BS
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    On another note, Bastion increases the effectiveness of damage shields.

My MagDK goes probably 95% of her playtime without a damage shield, but Bastion is checked every time she takes an action? My Stam Sorc never has a damage shield unless someone in group is using Healing Ward, but she's still checked constantly to make sure that - in the very rare event that someone else has cast a damage shield on her - her miniscule Bastion passive is properly calculated?

If that's how the coding worked, good grief, no wonder their system was stressed.
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

You stand there and rapidly press the block button. The first time ZOS had that bug where doing that disconnected you, I was able to reproduce it in middle of nowhere Craglorn. Didn't even have to be blocking damage. Something about repeatedly doing the block action was causing problems for the server resulting in a disconnect.

Now the problem is that you also got players who are using block a lot in trials who were crashing. ZOS prefers players to fluidly use block as opposed to perma-block so it was causing issues even with fairly normal play, not just standing in the middle of nowhere Craglorn tapping block.
  • Gilvoth
    Gilvoth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    animation canceling is the reason we have horrificly high ping and horrible lagg.
    THAT is the point of this thread and i agree 100%

Edited by Gilvoth on January 27, 2021 8:02PM
  • Merlin13KAGL
    Merlin13KAGL
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

You stand there and rapidly press the block button. The first time ZOS had that bug where doing that disconnected you, I was able to reproduce it in middle of nowhere Craglorn. Didn't even have to be blocking damage. Something about repeatedly doing the block action was causing problems for the server resulting in a disconnect.

Now the problem is that you also got players who are using block a lot in trials who were crashing. ZOS prefers players to fluidly use block as opposed to perma-block so it was causing issues even with fairly normal play, not just standing in the middle of nowhere Craglorn tapping block.
    I was being mildly facetious. I understand you can do it. I fail to see the purpose behind it. I guess "Why" would have been a better word choice.

Is it an attempt to bypass the stopped stam regen or just being used as another AC? I figure you have, at best, a 50% chance of hit or miss, for both the block, and the (missed) tick.
    Just because you don't like the way something is doesn't necessarily make it wrong...

Earn it.

IRL'ing for a while for assorted reasons, in forum, and in game.
    I am neither warm, nor fuzzy...
    Probably has checkbox on Customer Service profile that say High Aggro, 99% immunity to BS