Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Bot Farming - Does anyone actually ban these things?

MissAethe
MissAethe
✭✭✭
Context: Xbox NA

I know bots farming crafting nodes isn't new. I'm aware this has been going on forever. My question is, does anyone actually ban these things?

I've reported them a couple of times, but the sheer number of them in beginner places or even in other spots swarming nodes with their 10 familiars is just ridiculous at this point. I've spent the last couple of hours in Khenarthi's Roost wood hunting and I've managed a few logs if I'm lucky at that. There are so so many of these bots everywhere that they keep circling any paths I try to go on and clearing them out of materials. Usually it's a high elf sorcerer, but I spotted some khajiit this time, always with the same familiar, stopping in weird places to pull the map up for a whole second, then jerkily re-route to a spot with a node. After following a couple, they quickly divert when you get near them (probably to avoid their accounts being reported on the wheel or something), and some even pause in a place for a moment as the node refreshes and loads in, clearly aware it's going to pop on as they stop. The number of them that have tried to avoid me and gotten stuck against a cliff face might be funny but it's no less of a pain.

I'm sure this is me fussing in the wind at this point, but it's just annoying how many of these things are actually on Xbox. PC I can expect, people mod PC all the time, but to go that length on Xbox? Come on now.
Xbox NA 10am-2am EST/EDT - Find me In-Game @MissAethe
Guildmaster - Nox Tyrannis - A Late Night 21+ PVE/Social Guild

Dragonknight Spite Healer Extraordinaire
  • Hallothiel
    Hallothiel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Get them on ps4 too. Mainly going after either blacksmith or jewellery nodes, nothing else. Can easily tell they are bots as are generally pet sorc builds & have same type of character name (random noun-random noun) and a psn name that is just gobbledegook. If bored, do like getting to nodes before them.

They do get removed, but I can imagine its an uphill struggle, like fighting the Hydra - get rid of one then two more spawn.

Just do report them. If you don’t then Zos won’t know about them. I just wish it was easier to send a screen shot ingame on ps4 as not dure what the actual shot is they get, as mail option pulls you out of normal screen view. Would be good if there was an ESO psn account could send screen shots in to.
  • Mettaricana
    Mettaricana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I love handling bots either looting their nodes before they can sometimes kills their ai loops, or leading danger they can't handle their way where they just kinda stand there til death
  • harmsway
    harmsway
    ✭✭✭
    I love handling bots either looting their nodes before they can sometimes kills their ai loops, or leading danger they can't handle their way where they just kinda stand there til death

This is the best. The funniest thing I've ever done was put the mysterious meat memento by a node and watching one vomit.
  • Starlock
    Starlock
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    harmsway wrote: »

This is the best. The funniest thing I've ever done was put the mysterious meat memento by a node and watching one vomit.

With one or two other people, you can use this memento or the bear trap to forcibly lure them off nodes. The cooldown on the memento is too long to do it by yourself, because action radius is generous in this game.

It's sad when this is more effective at combating bots than reporting them.
  • mzprx
    mzprx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    i'd like to point you to my thread from December 2018. you can see that ZOS do NOT ban bots. bots can be paying customers too, after all. you don't want to lose money they might be spending on the game..

p.s.: regarding the above mentioned thread, the person i was talking about is STILL in game, playing as if nothing happened. max. CP, of course..
  • ccfeeling
    ccfeeling
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Reported and no use, you can see lot of bots in Alik'r, PS4 NA.

https://youtu.be/2XGSEW2AUr8

https://youtu.be/KhcZwjip9fQ
  • MissAethe
    MissAethe
    ✭✭✭
    Alik'r, same exact place on Xbox, too.

Xbox names are usually things like SDSFJ34DFHRD, with the username also being DJRHTRHFBD with the same Halo master chief user picture. Never fails.

I've reported same-person bots, too, where the username is like "BBBB123" and "BBBB124" as the difference, it's obnoxious. I really wish there was an easier way to do something about them.

• Sahidom
    Sahidom
    ✭✭✭✭
    When the game released in 2014, you would not believe how many bots there were then. At the time, ZOS was very active shutting then down since they often interfered with a growing populace leveling their first characters.

However, ZOS has since shelved that initiative and assertiveness. Bots can be found everywhere in-game and often in the phased questing zones.

Without them. You probably would have a significant drop in upgrade materials on guild vendors. So, you may complain about them but I feel ZOS allows bots because of their benefits to distributing crafting materials.
  • VilniusNastavnik
    VilniusNastavnik
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    A lot less of them now than there were 3 years ago. Prob why prices of items have gone up. Less bots farming.
    Active Toons:
    NA - VilniusNastavnik - Magsorc DPS - Altmer
    NA - Ko'h Nehko'h - Stamblade Archer - Khajit
    NA - Arwyn Winterlight - MagPlar Healer - Breton
    NA - Urog Blackfang - DK Tank - Orc
    NA - Elen Windsong - Stamsorc DPS - Bosmer
    NA - Eats-Strange-Fungus - Magden HealzTank- Argonian
    NA - Harwyn Northwind - MagWarden DPS - High Elf
    NA - Raises-Many-Families - Necro HealzTank - Argonian

Picture of my Active Toons.

Obligatory ESO Fashion website plug: Vil's Portfolio
  • KitLightning
    KitLightning
    ✭✭✭✭
    On NA you just need to go to Vvardenfell and they will idle at the bank kneeling and standing up repeatedly! All bots stands in the starter gear we get from the introduction quest and all at level 3-4! No need to chase them at the farm spots.
    "I'd rather be insane in a sane world, than sane in an insane world!" ~Me
    Warning - This is a spoiler and looking at it for too long may cause irrecoverable eyesight issues.
    ◔̯◔

MechWarrior: Living Legends – Total conversion modification for Crysis Wars.

kitlightning.deviantart
  • WiseSky
    WiseSky
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    On NA you just need to go to Vvardenfell and they will idle at the bank kneeling and standing up repeatedly! All bots stands in the starter gear we get from the introduction quest and all at level 3-4! No need to chase them at the farm spots.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SDMLRCtJ2dg&feature=youtu.be

lol
    Immersive Quests Addon
    Wish to Quest without Quest Way Markers? ''Talk to the Hooded Figure'' Turns into ''Talk to the Hooded Figure, who is feeding the chickens near the southeastern gate in the city of Daggerfall in Glenumbra.'' If you Wish To write bread crumbs clues for quest for other players to experience come join the team!
    List of Immersion Addons
  • Kurat
    Kurat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I understand its cheating but why does it bother so many people? So what let them farm, cheaper mats for everyone. Some people say that bots ruin their business but how much gold do you really need? Me and everybody I know have so much gold that dont know what to do with it. Unless you're GM for trading guild and need it for trader bids, where else you gonna spend gold. Cant buy houses with gold, all new ones with crowns, everything else cheap as dirt.
    Let the bots be, no one cares
  • volkeswagon
    volkeswagon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    People that create bots are shady people who I wouldn't trust in real life.
  • WiseSky
    WiseSky
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    People that create bots are shady people who I wouldn't trust in real life.

Nothing Shady about, its more automation.
    Immersive Quests Addon
    Wish to Quest without Quest Way Markers? ''Talk to the Hooded Figure'' Turns into ''Talk to the Hooded Figure, who is feeding the chickens near the southeastern gate in the city of Daggerfall in Glenumbra.'' If you Wish To write bread crumbs clues for quest for other players to experience come join the team!
    List of Immersion Addons
  • Waffennacht
    Waffennacht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They cant exactly ban them because they're "fake" accounts set up for the sole purpose of farming on ESO.

I looked up some gamertags etc, viewed accounts.

They can ban the accounts but more will just be made.

From the looks of it, it was based outside of the U.S. as well
    Gamer tag: DasPanzerKat NA Xbox One
    1300+ CP
    Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds
  • Bowmanganie
    Bowmanganie
    ✭✭
    I play on both consoles and started reporting them to Xbox or Playstation instead of Zos. If resources they farmed did actually get cheaper, I would not mind it. But they do not. Been pretty much the exact same price for a long time. So the bots do not help anyone.
  • ccfeeling
    ccfeeling
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Kurat wrote: »
    I understand its cheating but why does it bother so many people? So what let them farm, cheaper mats for everyone. Some people say that bots ruin their business but how much gold do you really need? Me and everybody I know have so much gold that dont know what to do with it. Unless you're GM for trading guild and need it for trader bids, where else you gonna spend gold. Cant buy houses with gold, all new ones with crowns, everything else cheap as dirt.

Those farmers wont sell the materials at once, they sell them slowly in the market and gain the biggest profit, so bots wont help us.

Bots activities affect other players experience,at least some of us.
  • MissAethe
    MissAethe
    ✭✭✭
    Sahidom wrote: »
    Without them. You probably would have a significant drop in upgrade materials on guild vendors. So, you may complain about them but I feel ZOS allows bots because of their benefits to distributing crafting materials.

This doesn't apply to me, because I gather my own crafting materials and such, so unfortunately no this doesn't help me, it's more of a headache.

• Salvas_Aren
    Salvas_Aren
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    if zeni does not remove bots quickly, people will suppose that nothing is done at all and start botting themselves.

its basically an easy calculation: how many gold (in mats) can you earn before you get banned? might be worth the price of an alt account when you can get a few significant crown gifts from the discord channels.
  • Olupajmibanan
    Olupajmibanan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    ccfeeling wrote: »

Those farmers wont sell the materials at once, they sell them slowly in the market and gain the biggest profit, so bots wont help us.

Bots activities affect other players experience,at least some of us.

I hate bots but the bright side of botting is that they limit the speed of price-rising of Corn Flowers, Columbines and other mats needed for consumables. I would mind Corn Flower price of 800/pc much more than bot trains.
  • Curious_Death
    Curious_Death
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have also seen alot of bots queued as DD and they barely do 5k dps - also have seen alot of healers that doesnt heal ! PLS get rid of this bots that ruins dungeon runs.
  • Animal_Mother
    Animal_Mother
    ✭✭✭✭

Because some people like to gather their own mats.
  • PaddyVu
    PaddyVu
    ✭✭✭✭
    How did they create so many accounts like that? Where's the money to do that? They get banned, they create another.
  • THEDKEXPERIENCE
    THEDKEXPERIENCE
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I reported this person like 2 days ago. Western most part of Alik’r. He had like half a dozen pet sorcs in a loop on what appeared to be 3 resource nodes. I tried to knock him off his path but was unsuccessful.

MissAethe wrote: »
    Alik'r, same exact place on Xbox, too.

Xbox names are usually things like SDSFJ34DFHRD, with the username also being DJRHTRHFBD with the same Halo master chief user picture. Never fails.

I've reported same-person bots, too, where the username is like "BBBB123" and "BBBB124" as the difference, it's obnoxious. I really wish there was an easier way to do something about them.

• THEDKEXPERIENCE
    THEDKEXPERIENCE
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

Because cheaters who cheat should be reported for cheating regardless of if it affects me or not.
    Edited by THEDKEXPERIENCE on January 26, 2021 3:33PM
  • TwiceBornStar
    TwiceBornStar
    ✭✭✭✭
    I understand its cheating but why does it bother so many people? So what let them farm, cheaper mats for everyone.

Yeah, I like crafting my own gear very much and sometimes feel like farming a certain area of the game. I always pick a different location and usually get bored after an hour, so I can't imagine how that would bother someone else too much. I don't care much for buying materials at ludicrous prices, especially not when I can collect these materials myself. For free! Aside from the fact that bots totally ruin the atmosphere and the immersion, I understand why they bother people because hey, some players want to collect materials themselves! So, if I could write a program that would instantaneously nuke every bot in this game, I'd write it.

Sorry bot, it's nothing personal!
  • Goregrinder
    Goregrinder
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    mzprx wrote: »
    i'd like to point you to my thread from December 2018. you can see that ZOS do NOT ban bots. bots can be paying customers too, after all. you don't want to lose money they might be spending on the game..

p.s.: regarding the above mentioned thread, the person i was talking about is STILL in game, playing as if nothing happened. max. CP, of course..

Yep. It's a similar situation when people complain about bitcoin miners buying out all of the GPU's.....gamers aren't the only consumers...miners are customers too. They're just as entitled to buy as many GPU's as they want, just like we are. Botters have been a thing since the days of EQ1, and probably Ultima....they haven't gone anywhere, nor are they ever going to go anywhere. I don't care who is bringing in more supplies to the market in order to keep the supply high and prices down on mats.....just as long as there are people who are willing to do it. They are just efficient at doing it.

The same people who complain about bots are the same people who buy clothes and shoes made in factories overseas. Hypocrisy amuses me.