The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Artaeum Pickled Fish Bowl and the clam gall conundrum

DigiAngel
DigiAngel
✭✭✭✭✭
Welp....after days of fishing, finally got the recipe! Not gonna lie, I was pretty stoked. Until....I started looking for clam gall. A quick guild store lookup shows a single one at around 6K (ya pass). After searching the shores of Summerset for 2 hours (ironically the length of the food buff) I found: 6 chests (let THAT sink in for a moment..) and 4 clams. 2 clams had pearls, the others nothing of value. My hopes are now dashed that I'll actually ever use this recipe. Really disappointed that ESO seems to dangle something neat in front of you...only to yank it away with a ludicrously rare ingredient.
  • Malkorga
    Malkorga
    ✭✭✭
    Completing the Geysers have a chance to award clam gall as well, perhaps more efficient than just farming clams. I dont recall if the daily geyser rewards one as well.

• DigiAngel
    DigiAngel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's VERY good to know...thank you!
  • DigiAngel
    DigiAngel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well I played for about 45 more minutes. Snagged the HarvestMap addon as an assist...which DID help some. I must have found maybe 5 clams, none of which had the clam gall. I also ran 2 geysers (solo'd one), which I got one clam gall. After re-looking at the recipe, which requires 3 clam gall, I STILL don't have enough to even make one...and that's after almost 3 hours of playtime. This is, sadly, NOT going to be anything I'm actually going to use. I guess I'll just stick with crusty bread and drive on.
  • etchedpixels
    etchedpixels
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are a lot of good food options beyond crusty bread that are easy to make including red frothgar, venison pot roast and so on.
    Too many toons not enough time
  • DigiAngel
    DigiAngel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thank you. My goal was to try and kind of use what I naturally find...and clam gall is NOT it. I'll look those up for high health...ideally a health and magicka buff.
  • kringled_1
    kringled_1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    For most content you can use on level blue max health and magicka food. Solitude salmon-millet soup, mistral bunny banana hash, and melon baked parmesan pork are the CP 160 versions
  • zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    kringled_1 wrote: »
    For most content you can use on level blue max health and magicka food. Solitude salmon-millet soup, mistral bunny banana hash, and melon baked parmesan pork are the CP 160 versions
    As I understand you get around 200 more health and magic using Artaeum Pickled Fish Bowl over an blue health + magic one who is basically free to make or you can buy bulk from guild stores for 25 gold.

Well people buy $500 hdmi cables too.

Note that Artaeum Pickled Fish Bowl is worth if going master angler on the other hand.
    Edited by zaria on January 15, 2021 11:45AM
    Grinding just make you go in circles.
    Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.
  • DigiAngel
    DigiAngel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks...no luck on finding a good health + magicka buff recipe so far. Tried a few more times for clam gall with no luck...4 hours in and only farmed 2...kind of a joke.
  • JKorr
    JKorr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    DigiAngel wrote: »
    Thanks...no luck on finding a good health + magicka buff recipe so far. Tried a few more times for clam gall with no luck...4 hours in and only farmed 2...kind of a joke.

There are 277 food recipes in the game. You can find blue food recipes that boost health and stamina, or health and magicka, or magicka and stamina. UESP.net has a list. Melon baked parmesan pork, Mistrial banana bunny hash, Solitude salmon millet soup are all magicka/health buffs. None need clam gall.
  • DigiAngel
    DigiAngel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks...I stumbled on the Orsinium Frothgar (I think that's the name), and I'll be sticking with that one :)
  • SpiritofESO
    SpiritofESO
    ✭✭✭
    That's VERY good to know...thank you!

Yes -- I do hunt occasionally for Clam Gall and I suggest you start at the far northeastern-most wayshrine and work your way down. Drop rate, however, is poor. There are online maps to show where the Giant Clams are.

I think a better chance is it do the Geysers (there's a daily) and the drop rate for Clam Gall seems better from them.

:smiley:
    • ~ PS NA ~ ALDMERI DOMINION ~
    • IVY GOLDBLADE, WOOD ELF NIGHTBLADE, Former Empress
    • IVY GOLDBLAZE, HIGH ELF TEMPLAR
    • "Adapt or Die"
  • DigiAngel
    DigiAngel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just did a geyser today...no clam gall ;) It's sad that a neat recipe has such a ludicrously rare ingredient as to make it pretty much useless.
  • Araneae6537
    Araneae6537
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have gotten clam gall as a reward from crafting writs, either alchemy or provisioning, but I happened to notice the amount I hd increased while doing my writs last night. It’s only 3 at a time and not a frequent drop, but I’ve never gone specifically farming for it and have what I need for recipes and one of the alchemy master writs.
  • SpiritofESO
    SpiritofESO
    ✭✭✭
    Just did a geyser today...no clam gall ;) It's sad that a neat recipe has such a ludicrously rare ingredient as to make it pretty much useless.

I agree. Actually I was so thrilled to get the Psijic Ambrosia until I realized the rare ingredient was Perfect Roe and (although I had four) I refuse to do hours of fishing just to get Perfect Roe nor will I pay the high prices for the stuff.

Besides, it's an XP buff so -- you literally get that EVERY DAY as an Enlightened buff on CP characters.

I got Clam Gall just to have it in my Craft Bag, but I do not actively seek it.

:smiley:
    • ~ PS NA ~ ALDMERI DOMINION ~
    • IVY GOLDBLADE, WOOD ELF NIGHTBLADE, Former Empress
    • IVY GOLDBLAZE, HIGH ELF TEMPLAR
    • "Adapt or Die"
  • JKorr
    JKorr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    At least now the clams show up on maps [addon]. When Summerset first released, I found a clam. One. By falling over it. I went, literally, for months before finding a second one. And it seems, just like other nodes, people take the "best" items out, and leave what they consider trash behind. So it is possible that you found one that really had gall in it, and someone nabbed it and left.
  • Dojohoda
    Dojohoda
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    A lot of my clam gall dropped from the Anniversary Jubilee Gift Boxes. (The anniversary event typically runs during April). Clam gall was added to gift boxes in 2019, but loot tables change each year.
    Fan of playing magblade since 2015. (PC NA)
    Might be joking in comments.
    -->(((Cyrodiil)))<--
  • Raideen
    Raideen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    The fact that clam gall can only be had from Summerset, and the fact that people farm it all day long, every day, all year long (all of which makes it hard to obtain), and the fact that it takes what I think 3 clam gall to make 4 food means that clam gall should be a 100% drop in every giant clam found.

• Juhasow
    Juhasow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Raideen wrote: »
    The fact that clam gall can only be had from Summerset, and the fact that people farm it all day long, every day, all year long (all of which makes it hard to obtain), and the fact that it takes what I think 3 clam gall to make 4 food means that clam gall should be a 100% drop in every giant clam found.

You can also get it in Imperial City.