Gates of Oblivion leaked gameplay trailer

theCampeR_
theCampeR_
✭✭✭
https://youtu.be/-dN5sk80IA8

there you go. all the things that you can look forward to :)
  • shimm
    shimm
    ✭✭✭✭
    “Halt criminal scum!” ... I can’t wait!
    Options
  • MaleAmazon
    MaleAmazon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Radiant AI....

Oh the promises...

Brings back memories...

:'(
    Options
  • RemanCyrodiil_I
    RemanCyrodiil_I
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    -
    Edited by RemanCyrodiil_I on April 20, 2022 5:15PM
    Options
  • Oakiyo
    Oakiyo
    ✭✭✭
    Can't wait for that Adoring fan to follow me again
    Options
  • adriant1978
    adriant1978
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Oakiyo wrote: »

Eveli Sharp-Arrow confirmed then? :p
    Options
  • Chaos2088
    Chaos2088
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    giphy.gif
    @Chaos2088 PC EU Server | AD-PvP
    Options
  • RemanCyrodiil_I
    RemanCyrodiil_I
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oakiyo wrote: »

5MC6vSu.gif
    Options
  • Greasytengu
    Greasytengu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey, they finally added potato as a race!
    " I nEeD HeAlInG!!! "
    Options
  • YstradClud
    YstradClud
    ✭✭✭✭
    I actually played Oblivion more then Skyrim.
    Options
  • Lysette
    Lysette
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oblivion - where the name of birth signs and their effects made actual sense. I recently walked around to look at all the standing stone types and was quite baffled about how little the effect is matching the name of the sign. ZOS has given it no 2nd thought, just slapped effects on them without making sure, that the connection between name and effect is reasonable.

Ah, I'm still playing Oblivion from time to time as well - Oblivion's skill system was by far better than Skyrim's or ESO's. ZOS has change it so often that neither class skills, nor most normal skills and race abilities make a lot of sense - well, if any at all. But this is just recognizable, if one knows TES:Oblivion well enough.
    '
    Options
  • Tommy_The_Gun
    Tommy_The_Gun
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oblivion was... I would say better than Skyrim in some ways. I mean it was probably the most ambitious TES game they ever made. Share complexity of NPC AI was ahead of its time.

Also, graphics wise it was the 1st game with "lod" models I have ever played (level of detail, so you had less detailed models in the background) and as a result the game had no "fog" system that was limiting rendering distance. It was cutting-edge technology back then.

Before Skyrim was released I was joking that they will water-it-down again and remove 8 attributes (Strength, Intelligence, Willpower, Agility, Speed, Endurance, Personality, Luck) and covert it to Health, Magicka and Stamina... and they did lol...

Despite that, vs TES III Morrowind - they simplified pretty much everything in Oblivion, even skill lines and some (like spears) were straight out removed... ...but It was still more advanced system than in Skyrim.

Nonetheless, I think that while Skyrim may have been "nicer" game to play, TES IV Oblivion was way better. Especially If you are not English - native speaker, so the often simplified dialogue does not bother you that much.

Also, Oblivion was released in those times when "DLC" (DOWNLOADABLE content) was a new term. So patching games was way harder as often users had no way to update the game via internet or a "launcher". That is right. Games back then were "stand-alone" - installed like everything else in C:\Program Files. So basically speaking, game HAD to work and be "beatable" out of the box, no "day-one patches". And if they were patches, those could be downloaded manually (like "patch 1.02 setup.exe") or often those were distributed in a gaming magazines on CD or DVD disc.
    Edited by Tommy_The_Gun on January 21, 2021 1:18PM
    Options
  • Lugaldu
    Lugaldu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I really loved Oblivion (in particular also the music), it was for me the first game of its kind after playing turn-based and strategy games like Heroes of Might and Magic, Ceasar, Age of Empires etc. for years. At the time, I felt this completely new gaming experience was also a PC implementation of the good old days of the pen-and-paper role-playing games. Skyrim couldn't evoke those feelings. If you compare it to ESO, Oblivion was simply relaxing and not overloaded with anything.
    Options
  • adriant1978
    adriant1978
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Lugaldu wrote: »
    I really loved Oblivion (in particular also the music), it was for me the first game of its kind after playing turn-based and strategy games like Heroes of Might and Magic, Ceasar, Age of Empires etc. for years. At the time, I felt this completely new gaming experience was also a PC implementation of the good old days of the pen-and-paper role-playing games. Skyrim couldn't evoke those feelings. If you compare it to ESO, Oblivion was simply relaxing and not overloaded with anything.

OK, the nostalgia is really setting in now. :p

Oblivion was my first Elder Scrolls game, and my 2nd ever first person RPG, beaten out only by Ultima Underworld.

Now that I think about it, I'm not sure what I spent more time doing: playing the game or reading up on all the lore and backstory that went with it, having never played Arena, Dagerfall or Morrowind. :D

Skyrim was awesome too, but in a much different way.
    Options
  • magnusthorek
    magnusthorek
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My best memory of Oblivion is the ending with Martin fighting Dagon as the avatar of Akatosh. Strange that I was pretty sure the scene was a bit more... "dramatic", with Martin praying to Akatosh, sacrificing himself but watching the video I didn't see no such thing. Heh, my memory sucks >.<
    I am the very model of a scientist Salarian, I've studied species Turian, Asari, and Batarian.
    I'm quite good at genetics (as a subset of biology) because I am an expert (which I know is a tautology).
    My xenoscience studies range from urban to agrarian, I am the very model of a Scientist Salarian.
    Options
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Also, graphics wise it was the 1st game with "lod" models I have ever played...

AFIAK, the first example of this was Far Cry in 2003. That said, I remember there was something akin to LOD in Operation: Flashpoint a few years earlier, (but that applied to NPCs and vehicles, not world geometry), so there may be some earlier, more obscure, examples out there.
    Options
  • Syldras
    Syldras
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Before Skyrim was released I was joking that they will water-it-down again and remove 8 attributes (Strength, Intelligence, Willpower, Agility, Speed, Endurance, Personality, Luck) and covert it to Health, Magicka and Stamina... and they did lol... Despite that, vs TES III Morrowind - they simplified pretty much everything in Oblivion, even skill lines and some (like spears) were straight out removed... ...but It was still more advanced system than in Skyrim

Yep, complexity going downhill since Morrowind... Removing rpg elements for standard "action" stuff... Makes me a bit nervous about TES6.
    @Syldras | PC | EU
    The forceful expression of will gives true honor to the Ancestors.
    Sarayn Andrethi, Telvanni mage (Main)
    Darvasa Andrethi, his "I'm NOT a Necromancer!" sister
    Malacar Sunavarlas, Altmer Ayleid vampire
    Options
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Syldras wrote: »
    Before Skyrim was released I was joking that they will water-it-down again and remove 8 attributes (Strength, Intelligence, Willpower, Agility, Speed, Endurance, Personality, Luck) and covert it to Health, Magicka and Stamina... and they did lol... Despite that, vs TES III Morrowind - they simplified pretty much everything in Oblivion, even skill lines and some (like spears) were straight out removed... ...but It was still more advanced system than in Skyrim

Yep, complexity going downhill since Morrowind... Removing rpg elements for standard "action" stuff... Makes me a bit nervous about TES6.

Daggerfall. It's been going down hill since Daggerfall. Morrowind removed climbing (imagine Assassin's Creed style parkour in a TES game... because it wasn't in Daggerfall, but the skill suggested it), languages, the custom class system (seriously, look this one up, Daggerfall's custom classes put everything else in the series to shame), ownable ships, carts, ect... There were a lot of things lost from Daggerfall to Morrowind, which is honestly for the best, because Daggerfall was kinda a mess, but still.
    Options
  • Syldras
    Syldras
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Morrowind removed climbing

Why climb when you can levitate? ;)
    languages, the custom class system (seriously, look this one up, Daggerfall's custom classes put everything else in the series to shame), ownable ships, carts, ect... There were a lot of things lost from Daggerfall to Morrowind, which is honestly for the best, because Daggerfall was kinda a mess, but still.

I remember how buggy it was. It's some years ago that I last played it, though ;)

Edited by Syldras on January 21, 2021 1:13PM
    @Syldras | PC | EU
    The forceful expression of will gives true honor to the Ancestors.
    Sarayn Andrethi, Telvanni mage (Main)
    Darvasa Andrethi, his "I'm NOT a Necromancer!" sister
    Malacar Sunavarlas, Altmer Ayleid vampire
    Options