Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Most Master Crafting writs aren't worth it

StarOfElyon
StarOfElyon
✭✭✭✭✭
I say this because a writ will ask for a piece of jewelry in a hard to obtain set in epic (very expensive) quality. And the payout will be like 30 writ vouchers. Like, what the hell? The reward should be much more for such an expensive item.
  • Canperial35
    Canperial35
    ✭✭✭
    Most of the jewelry writs have been worthless for a long time. As someone who did master writs for a long time, I can say that you could make some profit by doing other professions but unlike the materials, writ prices have gone down since Greymoor. And sadly there are not many incentives for a player to do these writs.
    Edited by Canperial35 on January 21, 2021 7:54AM
  • tmbrinks
    tmbrinks
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Most of the jewelry writs have been worthless for a long time. As someone who did master writs for a long time, I can say that you could make some profit by doing other professions but unlike the materials, writ prices have gone down since Greymoor. And sadly there are not many incentives for a player to do these writs.

Hmm... I was selling items from the writ vendor for about 600g/voucher before Greymoor (attunable stations for 150k).

I have sold 8 attunable stations this week for 215k each... for an 860g/voucher price, prices have definitely gone up (at least on PC/NA)

The only "epic" jewelry giving you 30 vouchers are very old ones from before they did their revamping of them. Blue quality are for between 26-30, purple quality are like ~110-150 (I don't remember exact values) and gold quality are like ~450-666 vouchers.

I've been making MORE PROFIT selling items this past 3 months than I was before Greymoor. Mostly because the increase in PURPLE quality materials has been much less than that of gold materials, and the bulk of master writs you get are for purple quality gear.

I do a whole bunch of "good" master writs weekly
    1. I sell all alchemy and enchanting master writs as you can get 1k+ a voucher for them
    2. All gold clothing and most gold blacksmithing, I sell as well
    3. I keep only the best blue jewelry master writs (base trait (Arcane, Robust, Healthy, 9-trait set ones are the best) destroy the rest. Occasionally a purple is "okay" to do, but usually not. I only see like 5-6 gold jewelry master writs a year and I do writs on 36 characters a day. But I will sell the purple and gold ones as well
    4. Perfect Roe Provisioning master writs are sold as well.
    5. I'll do those that are left... and I usually have a crafting cost of about 500g/voucher, to sell at a 860g/voucher, for a 360g/voucher profit. In a typical week I'll earn about 1000 vouchers that I do, so that's about 360,000 gold profit that I make additionally per week.

If any of those listed gold clothing/blacksmithing and purple/gold jewelry master writs don't sell in 30 days, I'll destroy them.
    Tenacious Dreamer - Hurricane Herald - Godslayer - Dawnbringer - Gryphon Heart - Tick Tock Tormenter - Immortal Redeemer - Dro-m'Athra Destroyer
    The Unchained - Temporal Tempest - Curator's Champion - Fist of Tava - Invader's Bane - Land, Air, and Sea Supremacy - Zero Regrets - Battlespire's Best - Bastion Breaker - Ardent Bibliophile - Subterranean Smasher - Bane of Thorns - True Genius - In Defiance of Death - No Rest for the Wicked - Nature's Wrath - Undying Endurance - Relentless Raider - Depths Defier - Apex Predator - Pure Lunacy - Mountain God - Leave No Bone Unbroken - CoS/RoM/BF/FH Challenger
    60,005 achievement points
  • katanagirl1
    katanagirl1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I try to keep up with most of my master writs, but ones like Honor Guard and Pyre Watch aren’t worth doing when I have to buy mats for a 5 voucher Metal, Wood, or Cloth writ. Most of the time I can’t find the Honor Guard mat and when I do it’s 10k each. Last time I looked for Pyre Watch mat it was 6k each.

Why am I trying to keep up with these motifs when it’s not worth doing the writs for them, I asked myself. So, I stopped buying them.

Jewelry writs are the only ones giving a good amount of vouchers for them. You can do a blue one and get more vouchers than some purple Metal, Wood, and Cloth ones, even nirnhoned trait.

I do my daily jewelry writs and surveys and can do both blue and purple jewelry writs every now and then.

I don’t buy or sell writs either.
    Khajiit Stamblade
    Dark Elf Magsorc
    Redguard Stamina Dragonknight
    Orc Stamplar PVP
    Breton Magsorc PVP

PS5 NA

• Feric51
    Feric51
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I try to keep up with most of my master writs, but ones like Honor Guard and Pyre Watch aren’t worth doing when I have to buy mats for a 5 voucher Metal, Wood, or Cloth writ. Most of the time I can’t find the Honor Guard mat and when I do it’s 10k each. Last time I looked for Pyre Watch mat it was 6k each.

With regards to the expensive style mats, I typically use my mimic stones since I've managed to acquire a stockpile after the outfit stations were implemented. I figure I'll never use them for anything else, so might as well burn them up in place of expensive/rare style mats.

That being said, I wouldn't waste them on a 5-8 voucher writ (I stopped doing basic purple writs a long time ago, but that's beside the point).
    Feric51
    Xbox NA

Darkness Falls: The Crusade survivor (you young kids will never know the struggle of text-based games)

• katanagirl1
    katanagirl1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Feric51 wrote: »

With regards to the expensive style mats, I typically use my mimic stones since I've managed to acquire a stockpile after the outfit stations were implemented. I figure I'll never use them for anything else, so might as well burn them up in place of expensive/rare style mats.

That being said, I wouldn't waste them on a 5-8 voucher writ (I stopped doing basic purple writs a long time ago, but that's beside the point).

Yes, if it’s a purple nirnhoned or legendary I will use a mimic stone for them or buy the style mat from a guild trader.
    Khajiit Stamblade
    Dark Elf Magsorc
    Redguard Stamina Dragonknight
    Orc Stamplar PVP
    Breton Magsorc PVP

PS5 NA

• katorga
    katorga
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

I will do a gold jewelry writ only if it has an exceptional number of vouchers, I think I have done a total of ONE, for ~624 vouchers. I do the purple ones in the ~200 range, if they are cheap trait like robust and an easy to get to crafting station. You can find them for next to nothing on guild traders.

I'll do just enough to buy what I want from the vendor. And for me the purple jewelry writs are the most cost effective.
  • MonkLoHan
    MonkLoHan
    ✭✭✭
    Jewelry master writs arent really worth doing. If you are totally into decorating a house you may do it just for the writ vouchers, but to me, I place more value on the materials to upgrade jewelry for my characters to use than to waste on obtaining writ vouchers for things I dont want, like or use.

• volkeswagon
    volkeswagon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You must be looking at old master writs. Most purple master writs pay around 200 writ vouchers and the blue ones pay around 25-30. Definitely worth doing as long as they are robust, arcane, healthy, infused or protective.