Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Keyboard macros, contribution to lag, QoL macro detection software

vgastel
vgastel
✭✭✭
Fighting once again today on PC EU against certain (in)famous players, including some streamers, doing their spinny flippy stuff, casting 5 or more skills seemingly instantly while I struggle to get my first skill to fire. Quite clear that they use keyboard macros, 1 keypress and all skills are queued to the server. Always the same set of skills too. I wonder how much this clogs up the server and contributes to lag we are experiencing for such a long time. A secondary QoL improvement directly after fixing bugs would be some sort of macro detection software that analyzes the server traffic and takes appropriate action. Using macros is against the TOS afaik.
  • oXI_Viper_IXo
    oXI_Viper_IXo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    oof
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    While macros are not allowed, they also can't bypass the global cooldown on skills.

I've experienced it looking like I got hit a bunch of times at once when I was in the midst of a heavy lag spike, but then it became apparent that my opponent attacked normally while I had a delay...then everything processed at once. I'm not sure if that's what's happening here.

As always, if you think cheating is happening, report those players to ZOS.
  • Theignson
    Theignson
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    While macros are not allowed, they also can't bypass the global cooldown on skills.

I've experienced it looking like I got hit a bunch of times at once when I was in the midst of a heavy lag spike, but then it became apparent that my opponent attacked normally while I had a delay...then everything processed at once. I'm not sure if that's what's happening here.

Well, as you know the whole point of bursts are to make everything land at once. The simplest combo is the warden one: Subterranean assault, Dizzy, Heavy, executioner. All 4 abilities land at once if timed right, and then a DB. So you could imagine that a simple macro could help make this combo perfect every time, subject to the variabilities of lag: (Cast SA, pause 1 sec, cast Dizzy, cast HA, wait .6 sec, cast executioner.)
    Sorcerors have a similar idea with haunting curse and Stam sorcs have one with crystal weapons/crushing blow. Necros have one with blastbones.
    NB and DKs don't have a good delayed skill based combo as I recall.
    The simpleton Warden combo is one reason you see so many warden tanks. With 3 proc sets and the above combo they don't need weapon damage or skill
    Quakrson, Stam DK, Grand Overlord
    Trackrsen, Stam Warden, Grand Overlord
    Quakrsen, Mag DK, Overlord
    Tolliverson, Stam NB, General
    Farfarel, Stam Necro, Praetorian
    Spencerson, Templar, Prefect
    Phosphorsen, Stam Sorc, Colonel
    Phosphorson, Mag Sorc, Centurion
    Glimson, Arcanist, Major
    All EP/ PC NA
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Theignson wrote: »

Well, as you know the whole point of bursts are to make everything land at once. The simplest combo is the warden one: Subterranean assault, Dizzy, Heavy, executioner. All 4 abilities land at once if timed right, and then a DB. So you could imagine that a simple macro could help make this combo perfect every time, subject to the variabilities of lag: (Cast SA, pause 1 sec, cast Dizzy, cast HA, wait .6 sec, cast executioner.)
    Sorcerors have a similar idea with haunting curse and Stam sorcs have one with crystal weapons/crushing blow. Necros have one with blastbones.
    NB and DKs don't have a good delayed skill based combo as I recall.
    The simpleton Warden combo is one reason you see so many warden tanks. With 3 proc sets and the above combo they don't need weapon damage or skill

I suppose you could macro a combo of delayed skills so they all line up as burst damage...but in that case, I'd like to hear more from the OP exactly what was happening. Their post is rather lacking in details, and being hit with skills at the same time is distinct from casting multiple skills at the same time as the OP said.

Plus, burst combos are pretty normal in PVP. Again, if you think a player is using a macro to pull them off perfectly every time as opposed to skill and practice, report it to ZOS, since they are the only ones who can check the combat data and confirm it.

In my personal case, I'm sure it was just a lag spike since my movement got very wonky on my end before I took five cliffracers in the back at once from the same player. Either that player timed their movement and cliff racer spam perfectly, or more likely, the server just registered all the attacks at once, similar to a snipe desync.
  • SgtNuttzmeg
    SgtNuttzmeg
    ✭✭✭✭
    Were you buffed? Did you have your HoTs up? You would be surprised how quickly people die this patch do to not keeping these up. Also look at the skills, were they DoTs or single target? Do they have a delay? Do you have a picture of your death recap or of the fight? Black out the names and post it here. We could give you a better explanation of what specifically happened in your situation and if they are using a macro I am sure we could help point you in the right direction.
    Legions of Mordor Core

Cold0neFTBs
  • Grimlok_S
    Grimlok_S
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Another common combo is Necros (or any class really) running unleashed + vma 2h into Dawnbreaker.

Cast Blastbones, Crit rush, DB into Executioner.

Crit rush lands just before Blastbones figures out where its going and will generally land alongside the DB. Now you're stunned + defiled with 3 or more dots ticking for an easy executioner followup.

It takes time, but after getting smacked by these combos a few times you'll see them coming and figure out how to counter.
    Light Attack Hero

Class context
    Stamplar
    StamDK
    Stamsorc
    MagDK
    StamMAGStamden
    Magplar
    Stam NB
    Bomb NB
  • WrathOfInnos
    WrathOfInnos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Burst combos are easy enough without macros. I don’t believe they would be helpful, you need to be able to respond quickly, not have several seconds of pre-defined inputs.

As far as lag is concerned, I suspect that any type of macro detection software would put additional strain on the servers.