The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Tips for PVE in PVP for magblade (CP 400)

wheresbes
wheresbes
✭✭✭✭
Hi guys, I've recently started collecting the mythic leads and I'm at the point where I'd like to go to the IC. A couple of things to consider: I've been once to a delve in Cyrodiil in my PVE gear and I noticed that I took slightly longer to kill things (because of battle spirit maybe?) compared to non-Cyrodiil places and also, I can easily solo world bosses (outside of PVP zones) providing I switch one set to heavy armour (leeching). Also, I've got an "in your face" approach (I tank in dungeons).

So, now that I supposedly aim at putting down an IC district boss, I've got some questions:

Are IC districts controlled by alliances?

How to stand a chance if I'm attacked by another player? I have no hope to defeat a good player, and I don't plan to attack anyone, but I'd like to have a chance to fight back a little without gimping myself too much for the PVE stuff. If I were to follow some PVP build that I read online, I think I wouldn't be able to kill PVE things as I do now. Also, I'm not sure if leeching works great because of the healing or the extra protection, but if it's the former than it might not work well in IC due to the healing being halved.

I'm not very good, hopefully, I'll improve but for the time being I get things done in rattlecage jewels and weapons (quite redundant, I know) and mother's sorrow. I swap MS for leeching when I solo world bosses. I'm thinking about going all offensive for IC in heavy armour maybe putting Rattlecage on the body, and MS on weapons/jewellery or maybe something like Spinner's would be better to offset the lack of penetration due to heavy armour?

Thoughts?

Thank you.
  • tsaescishoeshiner
    tsaescishoeshiner
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    wheresbes wrote: »
    I've been once to a delve in Cyrodiil in my PVE gear and I noticed that I took slightly longer to kill things (because of battle spirit maybe?)

Yes, battle spirit (or being in a non-CP campaign)
    Are IC districts controlled by alliances?

Yes, but that only impacts which district you can resurrect in, how much Tel Var you earn up top, and which color of NPCs guards the flag. If you can solo the bosses in IC, you can definitely capture the districts — but it might draw attention from the other alliances
    How to stand a chance if I'm attacked by another player?

Start by accepting that in ESO, there will always be someone better than you, or at least someone able to beat your build. You're gonna die a lot, so just try to learn and experiment on the way. Foster a good attitude

For concrete advice, I personally keep a "kill bar" and a "buff bar" on magblade. My frontbar has everything I need to kill someone — stun (Flame Clench), execute, spammable, Inner Light (for the buff), and Grim Focus (you might want a heal/damage shield there instead of an execute). Grim Focus can be hard to land, but is important for bursting people down. The best times to stun people IMO are when you're about to kill them (so they can't heal), or when they're about to kill you (so you can heal). I keep my bars this way so that I don't waste a precious second bar swapping when it's a bad time to

I've been using Steed Stone, Ring of the Wild Hunt, and Bewitched Sugar Candy Skulls and I feel pretty survivable in PvP*, even in no-impen light armor (not recommended lol. you should absolutely use impen). Movement speed is super key in IC to avoid & pick fights. Health recovery isn't halved by Battle Spirit

I used to use Harness Magicka, and found it works well with all the heal-over-time Nightblades have
    for the time being I get things done in rattlecage jewels and weapons (quite redundant, I know) and mother's sorrow.

Mother's Sorrow is bad for PvP because Critical Resistance drastically reduces your crit damage. I recommend War Maiden as a damage set, because it buffs most skills nightblades use, and is cheap/easy to get. People usually pair a damage set with a survivability set or a sustain set for a well-rounded build

I run an aggressive no-cloak glass cannon build and I only consider myself medium skill. So that's the grain of salt for this advice (New Moon Acolyte, War Maiden, Ring of the Wild Hunt, ~700 Magicka Recovery)
    Edited by tsaescishoeshiner on January 15, 2021 6:20PM
    PC-NA
    in-game: @tsaescishoeshiner
  • wheresbes
    wheresbes
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hi @tsaescishoeshiner

thank you so much for taking the time to reply, you gave some great points to think about!

I see I have a setup similar to yours, front bar is for single target, back bar is for AoEs, I also use the Steed and tri-stat food, though Bewitched Sugar Skulls is better than what I'm currently using.

I'm a Nord, so extra stamina and resistances should help. I think I'll bring with me a couple of options in term of sets, one light, one heavy and see how it goes. I've read IC bosses are harder than world bosses.

I know I'll eventually die by players, that's not an issue providing at the end I can get the dang lead! :)
  • SpiritofESO
    SpiritofESO
    ✭✭✭
    Just a note for PVE in Cyrodiil PVP -- and Alliance Points.

If you are traveling with a large group, you're golden. BUT -- if you want to just solo on quiet days (probably should avoid the perpetually locked Alliance-locked Campaigns and enter the CP-enabled but Alliance locking DISABLED simply because there are fewer players there, therefore much less lag and much less zerging nonsense (although zerging can be fun :smiley: ).

Get outfitted for PVE combat (I recommend Reinforced vs Impenetrable), get Vanish potions for quick escapes, use Rapid Maneuvers for fast travel and go kill the NPCs at the Resource points surrounding the Keeps. You can take a Resource and be GONE (usually) before enemy players show up. You will do doing something GOOD for your alliance and getting Alliance Points as well.

Granted, killing enemy players will give more AP but if you have trouble killing certain enemy builds (it's not madskillz by the way, they just are using a build optimized for PvP, although they absolutely THINK they are gods of war (actually they are probably just junior high school kids working on a sugar-high :wink: )

If you see your guys attacking a Keep, join in and have fun!

:smiley:
    Edited by SpiritofESO on January 16, 2021 5:19PM
    • ~ PS NA ~ ALDMERI DOMINION ~
    • IVY GOLDBLADE, WOOD ELF NIGHTBLADE, Former Empress
    • IVY GOLDBLAZE, HIGH ELF TEMPLAR
    • "Adapt or Die"
  • fred4
    fred4
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    So you're merely looking for the Malacath lead? Just run along with a large group of your faction that's doing the bosses. Build does not matter.
    PC EU (EP): Magicka NB (main), Stamina NB, Stamina DK, Stamina Sorcerer, Magicka Warden, Magicka Templar, Stamina Templar
    PC NA (EP): Magicka NB