The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Help Needed with pvp build

zo6zo6
zo6zo6
Hello,
i am playing a mag sorc and i never play pvp. i would like to participate in the upcoming event, but i know nothing about available pvp sets and best traits or weights. i would like to help me create a beginner friendly pvp build suitable for my class. Any suggestion will be welcomed
Edited by ZOS_Lunar on January 13, 2021 1:02PM
  • Lephrel
    Lephrel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answering such a question properly would take ages. Especially since we don't really know what kind of a playstyle you're going for. Mostly depends on what you want to do in pvp: Do you want to heal other players in a zerg, play solo, use pets etc.?

I'll link this video for you to get some ideas though. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aL2qn5f2CeQ
  • jaws343
    jaws343
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, recommending a solid build has a lot to do with the expected playstyle.

I can highlight what I plan to wear:

5x Caluurians
    5x Mothers Sorrow
    2x Pirate Skeleton

All Impen on the gear.

From a beginner DPS in PVP standpoint, you may want to run something defensive, like Armor Master or Pariah. On top of something offensive, like New Moon or Julianos or Burning Spell Weave.
  • Pauwer
    Pauwer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I didn't like caluurion on my magsorc, the ball thing is too easy to dodge at range.
  • jaws343
    jaws343
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pauwer wrote: »
    I didn't like caluurion on my magsorc, the ball thing is too easy to dodge at range.

Yeah, it is a bit easy to dodge, but I like that i provides a delayed burst that really fits in with the burst of a sorc. You can time it right to land Caluurians and a frag at the same time and it just provides a nice amount of added pressure.
  • caperb
    caperb
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Making a PvP build is completely different than what you are probably used to. In PvE you either need damage, heals or defence to at least be able to fulfil a role. In PvP you will need everything, plus mobility as well (unless you will be playing in an optimized group, but these builds lack the ability to fight alone).

Since you will be playing a magsorc, the king of mobility, it might be smart to make use of that. Forget about about a build like what jaws listed, that will only get you killed. The best defence is NOT offence. Of course keeping pressure on your opponents is important, but you will only be able to kill people if you not die in the first place. Make good use of your environment, keep your buffs up all the time, make sure you don't run out of resources, keep your health topped and look around what is happening. Magsorc has powerful burst combinations, so try to line these up to drop the opponent to execute phase. Then you should keep the pressure high and finish soon with another combination, or your opponent will recover and go offensive. Or worse, you spend your resources and die. Sustain > mobility > damage.

For your skillbar you want at least skills that do the following things: spammable/interrupt, stun, mobility, burst damage, shield, heal, buffs.
    Spammable: I would go for crushing shock, since it has an interrupt and you won't waste it when you won't be able to light attack due to lag or shoot into the air (ele wep).
    Stun: streak. No discussion possible. It is your hard stun and your high mobility skill in one. It is one of the best skills in the game but quite expensive. Don't overcast it unless you really need it.
    Burst: frags and curse. Often used in combination with a stun like streak, an burst ultimate like meteor and an execute like fury (fury is usually a noob killer though, use it if you find barspace but it is not a must).
    Shield: this patch I would use both empowered ward and dampen magic.
    Heal: depends on the build. I think malacath is a must so no surge, but else it should be one or your main heals. The healing matriarch works on malacath builds. Don't forget you have shields, so usually one heal should be enough.
    Buffs:
    - pet: very strong LoS tool. Makes it harder for opponents to target you.
    - dark deal: Sorc has bad sustain, unless you use this, then it's great. Has a cast time so cannot always use and very dangerous on a pet build (still both dark deal and a pet are worth slotting at the same time)
    - boundless: speed buff, resistance buff and lightning for enemies that get close. Strong skill, I would never slot chudan to replace it.
    - spell damage buff: either degeneration or surge. I use malacath so the heal of surge is useless, thus I use degeneration for the extra pressure, like it.

For the weapons I would go with inferno/resto if I were you. There are Sorc builds out there that use s&b backbar, but for learning the class and sustain resto is definitely easier. Also this means you don't have to spend cp on block cost so have more for dodging.

For food and potions use sugar skulls for the extra stamina and immovable + magicka potion. Since you want high magicka for your shields I wouldn't use something like witchmothers. High stamina will save your life.

For sets there are a lot of combinations. Especially proc sets are stronger this patch, but with stat based sets you have more possibilities (in cp). Make sure you have at least one defensive/sustain set and at least one offensive set. Offensive could be necropotence, crafty alfiq, a spell damage set or a proc set (proc set = meta now). Good hybrid sets are amber plasm, shacklebreaker and bright throat. Defensive set depends on the build. Monster set I would either go with balorgh or engine guardian.

Myself I like to use malacath and a monster set, so that means one 5 piece or sets that can be backbarred. Lich is a good example of such a set.
  • zo6zo6
    zo6zo6
    thanks for your suggestions, they were all very helpfull
  • The_Lex
    The_Lex
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    zo6zo6 wrote: »
    thanks for your suggestions, they were all very helpfull

@caperb has given excellent advice. It's exactly what I run in both CP and no-CP. I find that a stat build, as opposed to a proc build, is the way to go on a magsorc. Plus, a stat build will help you master the class better.

Edited by The_Lex on January 11, 2021 1:33PM
  • Waseem
    Waseem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    just go naked shoot coldfire ballista
    PvP is not playable in current state
    PC EU

• zo6zo6
    zo6zo6
    i will go with caperb's advice