The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

New Player Question about Weaving and Channeling skills?

Paragonx78
HI,
I searched on forums for while and watched several youtube videos about weaving and animation cancelling but I am just still little uncertain about some of the skills that channel, like Uppercut or Flurry for example? Should I always be light attacking in between my Uppercut's? or Flurry? From what I understand since there is a 1 second GCD , and light attack is off GCD, then you can throw those in between other abilities right? I am just curious what the optimal way to use light attacks with channeling skills is.

Thanks,
  • WrathOfInnos
    WrathOfInnos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, you still want to light attack right before any skill, instant, cast time, or channeled.
  • UntilValhalla13
    UntilValhalla13
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Uppercut always feels awkward to weave to me. It's so clunky. XD I try to light attack for the next weave right as the uppercut is about to connect. Any earlier and you just wind up spamming another uppercut.

All light attack/skills have kind of a heartbeat timing, with a half second pause after the skill. La/skill/pause, la/skill/pause, etc.
  • Paragonx78
    Thank you both, this helps a ton. I was not sure if I should be using the light attacks in between. The combat system like so many things is not explained well or at all in game lol..
  • Araneae6537
    Araneae6537
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Uppercut always feels awkward to weave to me. It's so clunky. XD I try to light attack for the next weave right as the uppercut is about to connect. Any earlier and you just wind up spamming another uppercut.

All light attack/skills have kind of a heartbeat timing, with a half second pause after the skill. La/skill/pause, la/skill/pause, etc.

This is helpful to know!
    la/skill/pause

I have heard there have been issues with LA weaving since Markarth but I don’t know what the issues are exactly and whether all weapons and abilities are affected.

Also, I wonder if it is possible to totally screw things up if you turbo-click between LA and your spammable?

I’m doing something(s) very wrong and I’m trying to diagnose what. It’s definitely not gear/sets nor CP allocation. I could improve some buffs and ability selection with some guild skills that I am working toward (specifically Psijic skill line for non-pet sorc), but there’s no way that makes the difference between 15k and respectable DPS. :confounded:
  • Paragonx78

This is helpful to know!
    la/skill/pause

I have heard there have been issues with LA weaving since Markarth but I don’t know what the issues are exactly and whether all weapons and abilities are affected.

Also, I wonder if it is possible to totally screw things up if you turbo-click between LA and your spammable?

I’m doing something(s) very wrong and I’m trying to diagnose what. It’s definitely not gear/sets nor CP allocation. I could improve some buffs and ability selection with some guild skills that I am working toward (specifically Psijic skill line for non-pet sorc), but there’s no way that makes the difference between 15k and respectable DPS. :confounded:

As you can tell from my post I am very new, but I have been digging into this recently and from what I can tell, and you should take this with a grain of salt. But from what I can tell is that you can only execute up to 1 action per second, called a global cooldown. So it does not matter if it's instant case or .8 second channel it still can not be cast more then 1 time per second, its on a global cooldown with all other skills. However Light attacks , medium and heavy attacks are not on global cooldown and can be used whenever and as often as you can fit between your other skills that are on cooldown. So I can't think of any situation where you should not use at least 1 LA before using any skill/ability as it is just free damage and it procs abilities, and buffs that recharge ultimate.

I think this is correct from everything I have been studying about it.
  • Krevad
    Krevad
    ✭✭

This is helpful to know!
    la/skill/pause

turbo click -> skill -> pause, repeat is fine
    it can sound like MASH MASH MASH BLAAP... MASH MASH MASH BLAAP etc
    just don't spam skill because they have a tendency to override clicks and each other

there's no more issues; it had to do with ranged LA having to land before you could start another LA and all round bad animation where skills didn't animate so it showed you as stuck in the LA animation so it looked messed up but both issues are fixed now
  • UntilValhalla13
    UntilValhalla13
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

This is helpful to know!
    la/skill/pause

This might help you get the timing down. I always used this specific video to teach people how to weave, because on console we don't have fancy add-ons to help. You can physically see him doing the rotation on the controller, (light attack is the right trigger on ps4), and see how much space he gives after the skill is pressed. Skip to 14:50, I believe, for the timestamp.

https://youtu.be/DQiNDL9EeAE
  • Jolsyf
    Jolsyf
    ✭✭✭
    The thing about weaving cast skills is absolutely practice for each individual skill, I've found after a while how to perfectly weave atacks with Lethal Arrow but I still struggle abit with templar's jabs and Uppercut. You always want to light atack just before using the skill but some of those skills (templar jabs being the greatest offender) just won't let you smash the right click to do it, if you just spam right click and jabs, 100% of the time jabs will come out first, it has allot to do with timing so you gotta get used to it.