Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 15
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
The issue is resolved, and the North American PC/Mac megaserver is now available. Thank you for your patience!

Need help for my build : looking to improve my 18K DPS Vampire Magicka Necromancer

Serkuos
Serkuos
✭✭✭
Hello,

So, I play a Breton Vampire Magicka Necromancer, as a DPS.

I always played mostly solo or in easy content (quests or normal dungeons) but recently, I felt the need to try to go deeper in harder content (Veteran dungeons, Trials, etc...)

I did my build based on many Alcast's guides, espically these ones :

https://alcasthq.com/eso-necromancer-vampire-build-pve/ (mostly this one, to be honest)

https://alcasthq.com/eso-solo-magicka-necromancer-build-pve/

https://alcasthq.com/eso-magicka-necromancer-build-pve/

My build is :

- full "Law of Juliaons" light armor (except for the shoulders and hat, for obvious reasons),

- Ilambris for the hat and shoulders,

- and Mother's Sorrow for jewelry and wepons. (I play with storm staff). I have max magicka enchantment on the armor and storm damages on the weapons.

Screenshot_20210112_132458.png

Screenshot_20210112_132534.png

Here are my skill bar :

unknown.png

unknown.png

With this build, I only achieve to do between 17K-18K DPS, which... seems to be really insufficient.

I'm not a theory crafter, since I'm really bad at it, sadly...

I'm coming here looking for help, I think I really need help on that haha-

Would someone be willing to help me please?

Edited by Serkuos on January 12, 2021 12:59PM
  • zvavi
    zvavi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    cmx of the parse?
  • Serkuos
    Serkuos
    ✭✭✭
    zvavi wrote: »
    cmx of the parse?

I'm sorry, I don't know what you're talking about. I'm kinda new to this haha...
    Edited by Serkuos on January 12, 2021 2:10PM
  • Viewsfrom6ix
    Viewsfrom6ix
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Serkuos wrote: »
    cmx of the parse?

I'm sorry, I don't know what your talking about. I'm kinda new to this haha...

Parse basically means a fight encounter whether on a dungeon boss or a dummy.

There is an add-on called "Combat Metrics" (cmx for short) which can log your damage and give you a VERY detailed summary of your "parse".

Zvavi is asking you to show a screenshot of the damage info page of the cmx parse.
    Edited by Viewsfrom6ix on January 12, 2021 1:58PM
  • Viewsfrom6ix
    Viewsfrom6ix
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't play vampire mag necro but a couple things
    • You need MA staff on your backbar. This will increase your DPS by a considerable amount
    • You need access to major prophecy (mages light on frontbar) and major sorcery (degeneration on backbar). Unless you're rich and can spam spell power pots.
    • Get a rotation you're comfortable with and practice it with la weaving until you can do it without looking at your action bar.
    Edited by Viewsfrom6ix on January 12, 2021 2:22PM
  • Serkuos
    Serkuos
    ✭✭✭
    cmx of the parse?

I'm sorry, I don't know what your talking about. I'm kinda new to this haha...

Parse basically means a fight encounter whether on a dungeon boss or a dummy.

There is an add-on called "Combat Metrics" (cmx for short) which can log your damage and give you a VERY detailed summary of your "parse".

Zvavi is asking you to show a screenshot of the damage info page of the cmx parse.

Oh, thank you for the explanations ! Sadly, I consider very important to me to keep my game as "vanilla" as possible, so I don't use any addon.

However, The damages I've done on a dummy are, as I said, between 17K-18K.
  • mobicera
    mobicera
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Without combat metrics or a recorded parse its going to be difficult to pin point the exact issue, and there are also different test dummy's.
    3 million, 6 million, 21 million raid buffed as well as a 51 million used for group testing.
    Testing on the 21 million standardizes everything but also boosts your numbers to levels that for most people will be unrealistic in content.
    However if you're around 17k I have a feeling you are both missing light attack weaves as well as over/undercasting dots.
    But without more information its going to be hard to say without any doubt.
    Now I don't mean to knock alcast as he has done quite a bit for the community and his trials mechanics and dungeon mechanics guides seem to be spot on, however over the years his posted builds have become very questionable...
    May I recommend skinny cheeks for dps builds, he seems to be the go to for most people on ps4 I find.
  • Sephyr
    Sephyr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    mobicera wrote: »
    Without combat metrics or a recorded parse its going to be difficult to pin point the exact issue, and there are also different test dummy's.

^This. It may be handy to have just that one loaded so you can bring it in and then take it out when you're focusing on just the game itself.

Right of the bat though, Julianos tends to be a bit of a baseline for starting out. Maelstrom weapons can help, although if you're running Stage 4 like that - you may want to take your stage down by one so you still have some health regeneration. I used Alcast's as sort of a guide, but I ended up swapping a lot out based on my playstyle. What's the tooltip of your Arterial Burst?
  • Vevvev
    Vevvev
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is there a reason you're doubling barring Swarming Scion? As much as I use the ultimate even I know that the vampire ultimate doesn't give you anything for having it slotted. Putting the Mage's Guild Meteor ultimate on your primary damage bar would increase the max magicka by 2% on that bar even if you don't use it, which would boost the damage of all the abilities on that bar.

Could also slot a different ultimate besides Meteor on one of your bars as it would increase your flexibility in combat. Like for example I have Ferocious Leap on my front bar just in case I need to activate an ultimate now instead of later when I don't have enough ult to cast Swarming Scion. And I do this even though the passive for slotting Leap gives me increased health regeneration despite the fact if I'm at stage 4 I have 0 health regeneration.
    Edited by Vevvev on January 12, 2021 4:25PM
    PC NA - Ceyanna Ashton - Breton Vampire MagDK
  • Serkuos
    Serkuos
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you everyone for your advices, I noted everything ! It's just that 18K DPS seems soooo little, I didn't really know if it was only because of my gameplay, it seems so little...
    I tested my DPS on a Skeleton (so...3 Millions HP, I think ?)

For the Swarming Scion, it helps me to do good Damages while also helps me to avoid death (thanks to the full HP it gives.)

As I said, I'm not a theory crafter so maybe I'm making a mistake...

However, thank you everyone for your help so far, I'll answer more when I'm home !
  • Vevvev
    Vevvev
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

For the Swarming Scion, it helps me to do good Damages while also helps me to avoid death (thanks to the full HP it gives.)

I understand, but what I was getting at is you double barred it. You can still use it, but double barring an ultimate is usually only done when that ultimate has a passive buff associated with it or it's a pet like the Warden Bear. If you don't double bar the Warden Bear and change to the bar it's not in it'll unsummon. That's what I was getting at >.>
    PC NA - Ceyanna Ashton - Breton Vampire MagDK
  • SeekerAssassin
    Are you running spell power potions? do yo have the Alchemy passive Medicinal Use? Using food?
    Edited by SeekerAssassin on January 12, 2021 7:30PM
  • Serkuos
    Serkuos
    ✭✭✭
    Vevvev wrote: »

I understand, but what I was getting at is you double barred it. You can still use it, but double barring an ultimate is usually only done when that ultimate has a passive buff associated with it or it's a pet like the Warden Bear. If you don't double bar the Warden Bear and change to the bar it's not in it'll unsummon. That's what I was getting at >.>

I think I see what you mean ! Yeah, there is no actual reason for to double it, I just want to cast the ultimate anytime. But if an other ultimate is better on 1 of my bar, I'll take it !
  • Serkuos
    Serkuos
    ✭✭✭
    Are you running spell power potions? do yo have the Alchemy passive Medicinal Use? Using food?

For the Alchemy Passive Yes, and for potions, nope. I only take food (Witchmother’s Potent Brew).
  • Fennwitty
    Fennwitty
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I'm no DPS expert. Possibly this advice is well-intentioned but wrong. 18k on a 3mil dummy isn't horrible, it could be much worse :)

Alcast doesn't seem to explain the skill choices in that build or the rotation (that I can find at least) so I can't say how they fit into the theory. But the build is labeled as for 'solo pve' which balances your damage with personal survivability.

I suspect your Illambris uptime isn't very good, considering it's triggered by doing flame and/or lightning damage. If you're using lightning staves with lightning enchants, and only have one lightning skill slotted, you'll never get the fire proc except from Stalking Blastbones, and probably get the lightning less often than a storm sorcerer would get.

You have several defensive skills slotted. From memory I don't think they do anything to help your damage. Spirit Mender keeps you alive but no damage boost. Summoner's (Beckoning?) Armor keeps you alive, but no damage boost (helps reduce magicka costs which you might want). Baleful Gaze stops enemy attackers looking at you but gives no damage boost, and in a group with a tank it may not be useful.

Replace most of these with damage and buff abilities like Mage's Guild Degeneration which gives you an immediate 20% damage boost since you're not getting Major Sorcery from potions.

Ricochet skull would give you another fire skill to help Illambris. Mystic Siphon is a little wonky but directly increases your damage and regen, plus also does lightning which could help Illambris.

Try using Colossus as an ultimate for the Major Vulnerability debuff and compare against the vampire Ult's.

Try Simmering Fury (keep the damage shield skill on your bar). That's risky but would help your vampire do damage better than Baleful Gaze.

Unnerving boneyard and Necrotic Potency won't help as much soloing a dummy as they probably would in a real fight. Nobody around to activate the synergy and you're getting only your own corpses for ultimate.

PC NA
  • Astrid
    Astrid
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You’ll want meteor front bar and Colossus backbar, and whilst not on the 21mil you’ll want to be using the Colossus ultimate for the Major vulnerability. Double inferno is the best choice for DPS nowadays, if you’re really wanting to push shock damage then pop a shock glyph on your front bar and use a weapon/spell damage on your backbar. You’re also missing your source of minor force (channeled acceleration, trap beast or Medusa) which is 10% helps your crit damage. Ensure you’re also running the shadow mundus. Inner light passively on your front bar too, and take off the defensive skills except your shield and pop necrotic orb on your backbar too. It helps other players sustain and the damage is totally worth running it.

Vampires not overly used anymore, it kinda had its moment when BFB was hitting ridiculously hard but skulls as a spammable or even force pulse works nicely. You have options with necromancer such as Elemental Catalyst (as you naturally have access to all 3 elements if you use an inferno. Fire blockade, Boneyard is frost and Shocking siphon is lightning aswell as your source of sustain), Master architect which you’ll use with your Colossus ultimate for Major slayer, Mothers Sorrow, False Gods, even Medusa if you can redo your monster sets as it’s heavy. Look into Zaan too, Illambris is great for cleave but Zaan is nicer single target.
    Edited by Astrid on January 13, 2021 11:36PM