Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [IN PROGRESS] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

I hate Master Alchemy Writs

SilverBride
SilverBride
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭✭
I hate Master Alchemy Writs because they are extremely frustrating to complete.

It should be easy, especially with Lazy Writ Crafter showing which mats to use. But the problem is that not only does it matter which of the suggested mats you use, it seems to also matter in what order you place them. I make sure I have all the required traits, but it somehow doesn't always make the right potion.

Is there a trick to this that I am missing? I hope so, because I am really sick of trying to figure these out.
PCNA
  • Anotherone773
    Anotherone773
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I dont use a lazy writ crafter and do not have a problem with the writs. The order you put the ingredients in matter because the name used depends on the order of ingredients. When you do it manually you can see the name of the potion you create and the stats of that potion.

It's not a great system, especially compared to the system used in TES which is better, but its what we got.
  • SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I dont use a lazy writ crafter and do not have a problem with the writs. The order you put the ingredients in matter because the name used depends on the order of ingredients. When you do it manually you can see the name of the potion you create and the stats of that potion.

It's not a great system, especially compared to the system used in TES which is better, but its what we got.

Lazy Writ Crafter only marks which mats you need. You place them in manually, and you do see the name of the potion you are making. What I need to know is how do you know what order you need to put them in?

For example, it can tell me to craft a Potion of Stamina with stamina, healing and cowardice. I put mats in that have all those properties and the name of the potion says "Potion of Stamina" but it may not be the one the writ wants.

Just to clarify, I am only talking about Master Alchemy Writs.
    PCNA
  • Anotherone773
    Anotherone773
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Lazy Writ Crafter only marks which mats you need. You place them in manually, and you do see the name of the potion you are making. What I need to know is how do you know what order you need to put them in?

For example, it can tell me to craft a Potion of Stamina with stamina, healing and cowardice. I put mats in that have all those properties and the name of the potion says "Potion of Stamina" but it may not be the one the writ wants.

Just to clarify, I am only talking about Master Alchemy Writs.

The name of the potion changes depending on the order you put the ingredients in. The first thing you want to look at is the name of the popup when you add the second ingredient. In your example, the primary ingredient should contain all 3 traits. The secondary ingredient should contain stamina and healing, the third ingredient should contain stamina a cowardice. Then you should end up with a potion of stamina with all 3 traits on it.
  • SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The name of the potion changes depending on the order you put the ingredients in. The first thing you want to look at is the name of the popup when you add the second ingredient. In your example, the primary ingredient should contain all 3 traits. The secondary ingredient should contain stamina and healing, the third ingredient should contain stamina a cowardice. Then you should end up with a potion of stamina with all 3 traits on it.

What if there aren't ingredients that contain all 3 traits? And if the first ingredient contains all 3 traits, why do you need the next two? It's no wonder it's such a pain. What a ridiculous system.

But thanks for the info.
    Edited by SilverBride on January 12, 2021 12:45AM
    PCNA
  • Anotherone773
    Anotherone773
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

What if there aren't ingredients that contain all 3 traits? And if the first ingredient contains all 3 traits, why do you need the next two? It's no wonder it's such a pain. What a ridiculous system.

But thanks for the info.

Use this potion calculator. Put in the traits exactly like they given to you. Then add the regents in the game exactly in the order the result says. That is probably easiest.
  • Faiza
    Faiza
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I use LazyWrits in conjuction with Daily Alchemy, Potion Maker, and Daily Provisioning. It seems silly to need 3 addons to do what 1 should, but it works.
  • tmbrinks
    tmbrinks
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Use WritWorthy for Master Writs. I've done literally thousands of master writs and never had a mistake.

(Even Dolgubon, the author of Lazy Writ Crafter recommends that you use WritWorthy for master writs)
    Tenacious Dreamer - Hurricane Herald - Godslayer - Dawnbringer - Gryphon Heart - Tick Tock Tormenter - Immortal Redeemer - Dro-m'Athra Destroyer
    The Unchained - Temporal Tempest - Curator's Champion - Fist of Tava - Invader's Bane - Land, Air, and Sea Supremacy - Zero Regrets - Battlespire's Best - Bastion Breaker - Ardent Bibliophile - Subterranean Smasher - Bane of Thorns - True Genius - In Defiance of Death - No Rest for the Wicked - Nature's Wrath - Undying Endurance - Relentless Raider - Depths Defier - Apex Predator - Pure Lunacy - Mountain God - Leave No Bone Unbroken - CoS/RoM/BF/FH Challenger
    60,005 achievement points
  • SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Those are great suggestions @Anotherone773, @Faiza and @tmbrinks!

Thank you!
    PCNA
  • Faiza
    Faiza
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    tmbrinks wrote: »
    Use WritWorthy for Master Writs. I've done literally thousands of master writs and never had a mistake.

(Even Dolgubon, the author of Lazy Writ Crafter recommends that you use WritWorthy for master writs)

Ah, I have writ worthy installed as well
  • Hotdog_23
    Hotdog_23
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    They added this to base game recently for use console peasants, so no add-on needed.

Just have the master writ in your quest log and when you go to the crafting station it shows you what is needed by a white arrow next to the ingredient.

The only thing to be careful of it also shows you all the combinations. So, if a writ potion can be made using 2 sets of ingredients it will show them all. So be careful because once you select an ingredient the other non con compatible ingredient's still show but the arrow is a paler color of white. Plus, it will show some of the newer rarer ingredients so just choose what you have the most of to make it.

One thing I really wish ZOS would add to this is the ability to change the color of the arrow to make it stand out better. Say bright red. Not really an issue with alchemy but when doing clothing blacksmithing and woodworking writs and scrolling thru the over 70 styles it can be a little tricky and hard to see the tiny white arrow.

Stay safe and have fun :)
  • Araneae6537
    Araneae6537
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I haven’t noticed any change in what a potion is called depending on reagent order. It might be alphabetical? The problem is generally introducing an additional property which might change the name of the potion.

To do master alchemy writs, you definitely need the passive to use three reagents as for the potion to have a property, it needs to contain at least two reagents that supply it. Note also that the opposite property will cancel out, so if you wanted to make a potion to restore all three resource pools, none of the reagents could have properties to damage health, magicka nor stamina.

I never use any add-on for alchemy because I prioritize what reagents I use based on scarcity, market value, my own potion needs, etc.
  • Feric51
    Feric51
    ✭✭✭✭✭

The name of the potion changes depending on the order you put the ingredients in.

If you use three identical ingredients it does not matter what order you put them in unless something has changed in the past 3 months since I last did a round of them.

There are occasionally multiple 3-reagent combinations for master writs, so I went through and created a spreadsheet for every possible master alchemy writ combination and listed the 3 cheapest (according to market value when I designed it) reagents to minimize my input costs.

Also, when I get a huge stockpile of alchemy writs I will also pre-craft a stack of every possibility so I can just unload all the writs into my inventory and hang out in front of Rolis. When I'm done, I store the leftovers until the next time, then I pull those out before I pre-craft and only do enough to bring the partial stacks back up to full. The time savings of not having to look at each writ and craft specific quantities has made alchemy master writs among my favorite ones to do honestly. Also leveled 3 characters from 3-50 on nothing but alchemy master writs.
    Feric51
    Xbox NA

Darkness Falls: The Crusade survivor (you young kids will never know the struggle of text-based games)

• Taleof2Cities
    Taleof2Cities
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Feric51 wrote: »
    If you use three identical ingredients it does not matter what order you put them in unless something has changed in the past 3 months since I last did a round of them.

I've never had a problem with the order of ingredients for master writs either.

Could it be an add-on issue?

Edited by Taleof2Cities on January 12, 2021 4:55PM
  • Bucky_13
    Bucky_13
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    tmbrinks wrote: »

This. When I do master writs for alchemy, I just click on the station and go afk until it's done. Never had any issues with that add-on.