Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Level 50 clothing crafter needs skill points for other crafts - what can I take from clothing?

OmenRIP
OmenRIP
✭✭✭
Hi,

I’m desperately in need of additional skill points to level blacksmithing and woodworking. I’ve taken almost all points from alchemy and jewelry crafting.

I thought that I’m level 50 in clothing their might be some skill points that I could do without or spare to lose for a while.

Are there any skill points from clothing without hamstringing my ability to craft? I am doing the daily crafting writs for clothing, woodworking and blacksmithing.

Thanks for your input!
  • tmbrinks
    tmbrinks
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    OmenRIP wrote: »
    Hi,

I’m desperately in need of additional skill points to level blacksmithing and woodworking. I’ve taken almost all points from alchemy and jewelry crafting.

I thought that I’m level 50 in clothing their might be some skill points that I could do without or spare to lose for a while.

Are there any skill points from clothing without hamstringing my ability to craft? I am doing the daily crafting writs for clothing, woodworking and blacksmithing.

Thanks for your input!

If you have the research done, you can take those out,

You can take out the Keen Eye points as well.

If you're just doing writs on a character, you don't need Extraction or Upgrade Passives

If you don't care about the hirelings you can take those out.

Tenacious Dreamer - Hurricane Herald - Godslayer - Dawnbringer - Gryphon Heart - Tick Tock Tormenter - Immortal Redeemer - Dro-m'Athra Destroyer
    The Unchained - Temporal Tempest - Curator's Champion - Fist of Tava - Invader's Bane - Land, Air, and Sea Supremacy - Zero Regrets - Battlespire's Best - Bastion Breaker - Ardent Bibliophile - Subterranean Smasher - Bane of Thorns - True Genius - In Defiance of Death - No Rest for the Wicked - Nature's Wrath - Undying Endurance - Relentless Raider - Depths Defier - Apex Predator - Pure Lunacy - Mountain God - Leave No Bone Unbroken - CoS/RoM/BF/FH Challenger
    60,005 achievement points
  • OmenRIP
    OmenRIP
    ✭✭✭
    tmbrinks wrote: »
    Hi,

Thanks for your input!

If you have the research done, you can take those out,

You can take out the Keen Eye points as well.

If you're just doing writs on a character, you don't need Extraction or Upgrade Passives

If you don't care about the hirelings you can take those out.

Thanks for the reply. My research is not done yet for the items I want to upgrade, so I guess I’ll keep that. The hirelings aren’t a bad idea. 3 skill points to play with in another craft.

Another question please - should I continue to deconstruct items to gain resources? Maybe only do intricates or higher quality items? I looked on the web but I couldn’t find out what normal clothing processes I should continue to do (like deconstruction) after 50.

Grateful for the information!

• tmbrinks
    tmbrinks
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    personally, I decon intricate clothing/bs/woodworking because they have an increased amount of materials you get returned (not worth my guild store slots to sell, with doing writs on 36 characters a day, I'd spend my whole day just restocking my guild store listings)

I also decon any purple and above gear I get that I'm not going to keep/sell (if valuable item).

I vendor sell (or guild store sell) and green and blue gear I don't want

If you're going to deconstruct for maximum return, you'd want to keep the deconstruction passive in that skill line at maximum.
    Tenacious Dreamer - Hurricane Herald - Godslayer - Dawnbringer - Gryphon Heart - Tick Tock Tormenter - Immortal Redeemer - Dro-m'Athra Destroyer
    The Unchained - Temporal Tempest - Curator's Champion - Fist of Tava - Invader's Bane - Land, Air, and Sea Supremacy - Zero Regrets - Battlespire's Best - Bastion Breaker - Ardent Bibliophile - Subterranean Smasher - Bane of Thorns - True Genius - In Defiance of Death - No Rest for the Wicked - Nature's Wrath - Undying Endurance - Relentless Raider - Depths Defier - Apex Predator - Pure Lunacy - Mountain God - Leave No Bone Unbroken - CoS/RoM/BF/FH Challenger
    60,005 achievement points
  • OmenRIP
    OmenRIP
    ✭✭✭
    tmbrinks wrote: »
    personally, I decon intricate clothing/bs/woodworking because they have an increased amount of materials you get returned (not worth my guild store slots to sell, with doing writs on 36 characters a day, I'd spend my whole day just restocking my guild store listings)

I also decon any purple and above gear I get that I'm not going to keep/sell (if valuable item).

I vendor sell (or guild store sell) and green and blue gear I don't want

If you're going to deconstruct for maximum return, you'd want to keep the deconstruction passive in that skill line at maximum.

tmbrinks

Thanks for the great tips! There’s so many guides on how to level crafting, but a lot less on what to do after 50. You’ve given me great ideas. Since I have only one toon and money is tight (<100k gold right now), and I’m a solo player PvE only no guild, I wanted to know which items I can sell and which items I can deconstruct. You’ve given me that info.

Thanks again!
  • FlopsyPrince
    FlopsyPrince
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Why not just find a few Skyshards? Not that hard to get points that way.

I am doing it for a bunch of characters now. More of a pain there, but that means I don't need to downgrade anyone, except for the research once that is full.
    PC
    PS4/PS5
  • OmenRIP
    OmenRIP
    ✭✭✭
    Hi FlopsyPrince

That’s what I’m doing now and undaunted pledges that usually give skill points. The big problem is all that I have are static maps; there’s no addons for PS4. I can’t even fathom how much easier questing is for lore books, skyshards, etc. I spent 2 hours in Malibor Tor and only found 2 skyshards and 5 books. I don’t understand why ZOS doesn’t allow addons for PS4/Xbox. They did for Skyrim and the president had been set for eso on the pc and Mac. Probably just coding laziness. 🤬
  • katanagirl1
    katanagirl1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I use the maps from gamemapscout.com for base games areas, they are the easiest because they show the skyshards and all other markers on the map as well (instead of an empty map like some), so you have a lot of good landmarks to help you find them.

Hope this helps.

Here is an example:

http://www.gamemapscout.com/tes-online/greenshade.html
    Khajiit Stamblade
    Dark Elf Magsorc
    Redguard Stamina Dragonknight
    Orc Stamplar PVP
    Breton Magsorc PVP

PS5 NA

• OmenRIP
    OmenRIP
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for that link! It has good info on it. More information is better 😄

I use http://teso.mmorpg-life.con for skyshards, quests, lore books, etc. I also use https://game-maps.com for world and zone maps. The nice thing they show is delve maps with the boss/skyshards marked.

The iPad app I like is The Eso App. It doesn’t have a world map like game-maps.com, but has interactive maps of each zone showing tool tips on everything including crafting survey mat spots and treasure chests. It’s pay $1.99 but well worth it.

Omen
    Edited by OmenRIP on December 25, 2020 4:47PM
  • katanagirl1
    katanagirl1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Thanks for that link! It has good info on it. More information is better 😄

I use http://teso.mmorpg-life.con for skyshards, quests, lore books, etc. I also use https://game-maps.com for world and zone maps. The nice thing they show is delve maps with the boss/skyshards marked.

The iPad app I like is The Eso App. It doesn’t have a world map like game-maps.con, but has interactive maps of each zone showing tool tips on everything including crafting survey mat spots and treasure chests. It’s pay $1.99 but well worth it.

Omen

I agree! game-maps.com is good for dlc areas.

Fextralife is another source I use, usually for the delve maps with skyshard and boss locations.

I’m not an app person so I just google stuff.

Also, forgot to mention that I think you get a skill point for completing (clearing) public dungeons.
    Edited by katanagirl1 on December 25, 2020 4:58AM
    Khajiit Stamblade
    Dark Elf Magsorc
    Orc Stamplar PVP
    Breton Magsorc PVP

PS5 NA

• idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Early on, before I had enough SPs, I split crafting between two characters. One had the three armor and weapon lines so I only had to deal with one motif for each style and the other had all the consumables such as alchemy, provisioning, and enchanting. This helped me with skill point management. Now those characters have more than enough SP to do whatever I want.
  • katanagirl1
    katanagirl1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    You can do that, but if you want to do housing furnishings you need them all on one character. Glad I did that.

It’s just so super easy to get skill points if you have the time and the patience, I think my main has 90-something free skill points and she does everything. My other 3 alts have all crafting skills too.
    Khajiit Stamblade
    Dark Elf Magsorc
    Orc Stamplar PVP
    Breton Magsorc PVP

PS5 NA

• DarcyMardin
    DarcyMardin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Other skill points can be gained (in case you haven’t already done this) from public dungeons — they each have one skill point event that you can solo and one skyshard. Every delve also has a skyshard, so 3 delves equals one skillpoint. And there are skill points to be gained from doing the primary story in each zone (usually 3 per zone). And of course you get one skill point from each of the main story quests from the Prophet.

I have a lot of alts, so the main thing I do when leveling them is run around getting all the skyshards and quest skillpoints that I can find.

My sympathies for the lack of skyshard add-ons on consoles.
    Edited by DarcyMardin on January 2, 2021 3:57PM
  • OmenRIP
    OmenRIP
    ✭✭✭
    DarcyMardin

That for the dungeons típ. When I first started playing in May, I just dove in and started exploring. I had no idea about shyshards, so many of the delves i completed still have shards. But now at CP540, going back to those delves just to get the skyshards and constantly fighting trash mobs is really boring. But I found a guide that tells me where those cryptic skyshard hints in the zone explorer map point to, so now I can easily see what delves I’ve done still have skyshards.

To be honest, it wasn’t until yesterday when doing a Mages Guild quest in a public dungeon that I realized that there are skyshards there too. Please don’t laugh too much 😂. Now, I’ll have to find all the public dungeons (note to self - use a map) and go thru them again for the skyshard. More trash mobs ☹️

Thanks again. I learn something new everyday.

Omen

PS - besides a console skyshard map, ZOS needs to have a mini map on the main screen. It’s easily doable and would keep me from walking 10 feet, open zone map, find location, close zone map, walk 10 feet....rinse and repeat ad nauseum 🤬
    Edited by OmenRIP on December 26, 2020 6:35PM
  • DarcyMardin
    DarcyMardin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    You're most welcome. BTW, doing that Mages guild quest in the public dungeons will always take you to the room where the skill point boss is, so if you've missed any skillpoints in public dungeons, you can find the boss who gives them by doing those quests. Finding the skyshard can be a little trickier, without add-ons.
  • OmenRIP
    OmenRIP
    ✭✭✭
    I’m currently 9.5 in the Mages Guild, but I’m completely burned out on lore books, so doing Mages Quests as you suggest will get me to level 10 and some more skill points. I should’ve started crafting in phases and a long time ago, but I guess I’m old-school where level is king. I ignored everything else.

Thank you again Darcy for your insights.
    Edited by OmenRIP on December 26, 2020 10:27PM
  • etchedpixels
    etchedpixels
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    When I run low on skill points I run my alts through clockwork city, southern elsweyr, murkmire and now starting to use the reach. Those four all have a lot of skill points for the quest lines rather than lots of skyshards/dungeons.

Public dungeons have both a skyshard and a 'group event' (not the main boss). The group event is intended to take a bunch of people but gives a skill point. They also usually contain a book or two. There are 26 skill points from group events I believe.

Group dungeons each have a 1 skill point quest and again there are books hiding in them.
    Too many toons not enough time
  • OmenRIP
    OmenRIP
    ✭✭✭
    Get info etchedpixels! I wish I’d read more about the mechanics of the game before leveling so much. I’d forgotten that some quests give skill points. When I started my character, I only ran zone story quests, so I had so many skill points that I didn’t even bother collecting the skyshards😩. Now I need to revisit those zones and find them again. Luckily I found a site that shows their locations using the cryptic skyshard messages shown in the zone guide (http://teso.mmorpg-life.com/skyshards/). I’m now going back and finding what I missed. Same for lore books (but that’s a whole different story).

Thanks.
  • lyx10679
    lyx10679
    I have had the same problem like you when I ran out of skill points to allocate on one of my toons. I would agree with pretty much what @tmbrinks suggested.

1. Keep your main crafting skill lines at max. This pretty much allows you to use the highest quality materials and allows you to see that material in the environment.
    2. The Keen Eye passive doesn't do much especially during "the day". Even at night, you can see those nodes pretty well. So you can remove points from this.
    3. Research helps with reducing wait time and you are able to research up to three at times at a time. If you don't really care about waiting for the research and don't mind researching one item at a time, then you can take points out.
    4. My personal preference is to deconstuct everything. So I keep my Extraction passive at max. If you tend to sell every item loot or don't care about deconstructing, then you can remove points from this.
    5. I don't usually put points in Hirelings since they don't give much in extra materials but if you feel it benefits you, then you can leave points here.
    6. As far as upgrade skill is concerned, I'd personally put points if I see myself upgrading more often than usual.
    Platform: PC/NA - CP 500+

Character Roster:
    Ebonheart Pact: Kelvinia Telvanni - Dunmer Mag DK, Arenwe Direnni - Altmer Magsorc
    Aldmeri Dominion: Shalana-el-Kemel - Khajit Stamblade, Ithanarth Woodwalker - Bosmer Stam Warden
    Daggerfall Covenant: Reman Cyrolius Septim - Imperial Stamplar, Marcel Motierre - Breton Mag Necromancer
  • Minyassa
    Minyassa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    What EtchedPixels said, plus if you are on PC, get Urich's Skill Point Finder addon and it will tell you where you can go get more skill points and what skill points you've already collected, so you don't waste time wandering around in a public dungeon you already did on that toon.
  • OmenRIP
    OmenRIP
    ✭✭✭
    Hi lyx10679!

Great ideas! I’ll comment on your points below:

1) I have everything at 50 except Jewelry (38) and Provisioning (6). I don’t see my leveling Provisioning since I use tri-pots and crown food only. However, Blacksmith Metalworking is only level 7 and Jewelry Engraver is level 1. I leveled Alchemy to 50 just to get the Medicinal Use passive, but then I realized that it doesn’t matter much when using tri-pots. So I may pull those 2 skill points out of Medicinal use and put them into Jewelry engraver. That should help me with getting more with Jewelry writs.

2) I removed the Keen Eye skill points from Enchanting, Jewelry, and Alchemy (but I may need to put them back on if I do its writs, but I’m not doing them now).

3) Since I am a magsorc, I do research for woodworking and clothing, but not for blacksmithing, or enchanting. Basically, I would only use the clothing skill to upgrade my armor pieces to gold; the same is true for my staves.

4) all my extraction passives (except for jewelry) are at max. Once in a while I’ll get a Kuta, Rosin, Tempering Alloy, and Turpen from extractions.

5) hirelings have time to time gotten me those highly prized extracted ingredients I listed in #3, so I keep them around for now.

6) I really want to put points in scrying and excavation so I can get the Ring of the Pale Order, but that’s a lot of skill points I need. So I’m finding all of the skyshards listed the the game’ zone guide using:

https://elderscrollsonline.wiki.fextralife.com/Skyshards

If I’d known in before starting my character on the PS4 that I couldn’t use addons like in Skyrim, or that I couldn’t transfer my PS4 characters to the pc servers, I would’ve started on the pc. But it’s too late for me now to start over. I’ve invested too much time and money on my character; I’m not giving her up.

Thank you for your detailed comments! I appreciate them!

Omen
  • OmenRIP
    OmenRIP
    ✭✭✭
    Minyassa wrote: »
    What EtchedPixels said, plus if you are on PC, get Urich's Skill Point Finder addon and it will tell you where you can go get more skill points and what skill points you've already collected, so you don't waste time wandering around in a public dungeon you already did on that toon.

Thanks for the tip! There are many addons available for the pc. Unfortunately I started my character on the PS4 🤬. I don’t know why ZOS doesn’t allow some addons on the PS4; they did on Skyrim. I think it’s ZOS’s laziness/disinterest in adding this feature to the consoles.

When I’m done with my current character, I will definitely play my next character on the pc.

Omen
  • etchedpixels
    etchedpixels
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can actually find most of the information it accumulates without the add-on, although it's great and I run it as I play on PC.

The group dungeons each have a trophy so you can check what you have in the housing. The vet ones have a similar thing so you can check those in housing. Each public dungeon group event has an achievement as well as the skill point - so is visible in your journal for that zone.
    Too many toons not enough time
  • OmenRIP
    OmenRIP
    ✭✭✭
    Than you again etchedpixels! I recently found out that I can see all the Undaunted dungeons I’ve won, but I didn’t know there was a trophy for every group dungeon. In addition, when I was younger, I used to run the Summerset dungeon Sunhold. I’ll have to check and see where that appears in the interface.

Thanks for the tips! My next character (I’m only 564 now) I will definitely play on the pc. Urich's Skill Point Finder is just what I’ll need to get my crafting skills up fast!
  • FlopsyPrince
    FlopsyPrince
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Hi FlopsyPrince

That’s what I’m doing now and undaunted pledges that usually give skill points. The big problem is all that I have are static maps; there’s no addons for PS4. I can’t even fathom how much easier questing is for lore books, skyshards, etc. I spent 2 hours in Malibor Tor and only found 2 skyshards and 5 books. I don’t understand why ZOS doesn’t allow addons for PS4/Xbox. They did for Skyrim and the president had been set for eso on the pc and Mac. Probably just coding laziness. 🤬

I use the maps at https://game-maps.com/ESO/ and http://teso.mmorpg-life.com/skyshards/

regularly on my computer while playing on my PS4 (which are close together).

Many things would be a lot better if they were in the game and I regularly argue for those. (I would say any "highly recommended" or "required" addon should be part of the core game.) But you don't need much to find a "few" skyshards.

I have done enough across about 22 characters that I am even getting to know the locations without looking them up for many.

I wouldn't wait for addons on consoles at any point. They are not built for that for a great many reasons.

I would just like the functionality in the game, as the map and guide show can be done!
    PC
    PS4/PS5
  • OmenRIP
    OmenRIP
    ✭✭✭
    FlopsyPrince

I took your advice and tediously picked up many skyshards. Then I started Caldwell’s Almanac. At the completion of one of his listed tasks I’m getting a skill point. So now I gave 22 spare points, enough for scrying and excavating; I want to get a hold of the Ring of the Pale Order.

Thanks.
  • redlink1979
    redlink1979
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    @OmenRIP If you're on console you can keep a track of all skyshards (collected and uncollected), ect, with an app called ESO Helper.

"ESO Helper includes the following features:
    - You can find Maps that are in the game (locations and dungeons) and mark achievements: lorebooks, skyshards, group bosses, fishing and other!
    - Added the current Quests (including daily). Mark your completed Quests!
    - List of all Sets and Skills that are in the game and their full description.
    - Champion Points calculator.
    - Undaunted Daily pledges.
    - Mark all your learned Styles, Outfits, caught Fish, Provisioning and Furniture recipes!
    - Crafting and Alchemy Calculator, Glyphs description and Runestone combinations.
    - Set timers for Traits, Mount, Hirelings, Trials weekly quests, Dungeons and etc. and receive notifications! Keep track of all your timers.
    - List of Mundus Stones.
    - Server Status in real time. Receive notifications when the server is online or offline!
    - Name Generator. Added 25000 first and last names!
    "
    "Sweet Mother, sweet Mother, send your child unto me, for the sins of the unworthy must be baptized in blood and fear"
    • Sons of the Night Mother [PS5][EU] 2165 CP
    • Daggerfall's Mightiest [PS5][NA] 1910 CP
    • SweetTrolls [PC][EU] 1950 CP
    • Bacon Rats [PC][NA] 1850 CP
  • OmenRIP
    OmenRIP
    ✭✭✭
    Hi redlink1979,

Thanks for the heads-up on this app. Unfortunately it’s only for android phones ☹️

Omen
  • redlink1979
    redlink1979
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Hi redlink1979,

Thanks for the heads-up on this app. Unfortunately it’s only for android phones ☹️

Omen
    @OmenRIP If you're on iPhone there's a similar app there: the ESO app.
    This one I don't know, might not be updated with latest content, but you can give it a look. The lite version is free.
    The ESO App Lite
    "Sweet Mother, sweet Mother, send your child unto me, for the sins of the unworthy must be baptized in blood and fear"
    • Sons of the Night Mother [PS5][EU] 2165 CP
    • Daggerfall's Mightiest [PS5][NA] 1910 CP
    • SweetTrolls [PC][EU] 1950 CP
    • Bacon Rats [PC][NA] 1850 CP
  • OmenRIP
    OmenRIP
    ✭✭✭
    Hi redlink1979,

Omen
    @OmenRIP If you're on iPhone there's a similar app there: the ESO app.
    This one I don't know, might not be updated with latest content, but you can give it a look. The lite version is free.
    The ESO App Lite

@redlink1979 Thanks for the tip! I installed it and it is pretty good at identifying all the major lorebooks, skyshards, treasure maps, crafting surveys, etc. However, it hasn’t been updated since 2019. But it is a start.