Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

A few Tips for Newbies

anthoo67
anthoo67
Soul Shriven
Hi. Just a couple of tips to help the new people! get going
Quick Level Ups!!!
(Dolmen - Grinding) - this is really good for newcomers to just help them get going...
Where? Alik'r Desert
This helps a lot - so you can wear heavier or more powerful-protective armour and also to equip more advanced and powerful weapons

Find the Alik'r Desert on you map and from your location teleport to a wayshrine near one of the Dolmens
Why Alik'r Desert? - Well the teleport stations are pretty close to each of the three "Dolmen"
What's a Dolmen? On the map is looks like a circular saw blade "logo" with 6 pointed swirled arms going clockwise- there are three of them around the map

You will know when you have arrived at an active Dolmen, there are anchor chains leading tot he ground at the Dolmen and a swirling portal and Daedric ring in the sky above
If you get there before it initiates you will hear a loud Daedric War horn sound - then the chains unfurl and link to the Dolmen anchors on the earth

Usually a bunch of people appear just before and race towards the Dolmen to start fighting. Just join and run/ride to Dolmen and start fighting!
Go around dead (Outlined yellow) and collect goods from them - you can sell to merchants for gold etc (Your character will start to fill up its holding slots quick though - so go find a merchant to sell your looted goods to!)

After a few rounds of fighting 30 or so Daedric summoned, a Boss drops and you all attack! Stand back and let the experienced players take it out
but put your slashes, mauls or staff attacks in too! to score Xp for your character! Once defeated the Dolmen drops a treasure chest 10 yard to the right
(Just follow everyone else - they are going to the chest to loot it)

People will now race back to the Wayshrine - and teleport to the next Dolmen that will become active!
They can activate in either clockwise or anti-clockwise order, try going clockwise - If you don't see the Daedric Crown ring and portal in the sky
or any other players, turn back to the Wayshrine and teleport to the other Dolmen instead!

Happy Dolmen Grinding!!

***You will collect lots of loot in no time!! and lots of experience and Champion points to allocate to your character
Its easier to google and youtube what to do if skill lines and champion points (Champions points can be easily reset anytime too)***

Ps. There is a trader you can sell you loot to not far from the southern most Dolmen
Save your gold! Don't teleport directly from your location, find a Wayshrine and teleport to the Southern most Wayshrine below the Dolmen
Turn right and follow the sand road for 500 yards and there is a lone trader in a tent - he will buy your goods for gold and also repair your armour too
so you can empty your character slot and go back to the Dolmen runs armour repaired and slots ready to fill again!

IMPORTANT: Don't accidentally sell your valuable armour! Lock it to your character!
If you do! find its missing - go back tot he merchant there is a Buy-back option in the dialogue menu!

Join a guild!
Members will help you and also
You can also teleport to other members by clicking on their names - if they are presently in an area you want to go
In the drop down list you have an option to "Teleport to member"
Saves you 146 gold to teleport somewhere!

Some guilds will actively form groups and clear out a set of Bosses from an area, you get all the loot along with everyone else!
Also they might do all the Skyshards in one zone, once a week etc. (so you can start applying new powers in your skills line
Or they will help build you powerful armour etc)

Also if your doing a quest and keep getting killed - get your guild mates to come help!?

so... 2 things Dolmen Grinding in Alik'r Desert + Join a good guild that does lots of activities, and invites its members to group events to reap
lots of cool rewards! (But don't forget to donate some loot to your guild to keep the guild going!)

One other thing - try and collect an armour set with 5 pieces (or special 2 piece head & pauldron) - that then gives another added hidden bonus!
(I have 3 special power sets all equipped at once!)

There's tons of other tips!! But that should get you started

If your really stuck! just message me - be happy to help...
Enjoy!
Antooh
  • Nairinhe
    Nairinhe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Dolmen grinding is the most horrible way to level up, especially for a new player. You get a lot of XP learning nothing about how to play your character or game in general.
    And it's boring as heck.
  • redspecter23
    redspecter23
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nairinhe wrote: »
    Dolmen grinding is the most horrible way to level up, especially for a new player. You get a lot of XP learning nothing about how to play your character or game in general.
    And it's boring as heck.

I agree with this. I would never recommend Dolmen grinding to a new player. I'd usually suggest they do quests or delves and see if they enjoy the game before going numb for 5+ hours chasing dolmens.
  • Recent
    Recent
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Let's race to 50 with no idea how to play and no skill points to buy skills with ...excuse the sarcasm...typical vet mentality whos forgotten what it was like to be a beginner

Also please note not all new players have a merchant kor banker so doing dolmens fill up your bags fast...not as easy as you think storing all the loots that drops from those dolmen runs.

I think dolmen runs are great once you have a merchant or lots of bag spaces and a bit of speed on your horse to keep up with the group

I have heard players say they watch utube vids while running dolmens and they just stand around soaking up xp....is this the sad state gaming is moving towards ?🤐🤐🤐
    Edited by Recent on December 30, 2020 7:53AM
  • El_Borracho
    El_Borracho
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    And it's boring as heck.

I wanted to click "Agree" about 99 more times, so instead I hit "Awesome."

Don't dolmen grind. Learn how to play your character so you know how to play the game. Do the main line/Harborage quest. Do zone story quests (Auridon, Stonefalls, Deshaan, Shadowfen are all pretty decent with a good number of skill points). Do delves. Do public dungeons. Do battlegrounds. Do under-50 Cyrodiil.

My favorite way: Do normal group dungeons when they open up. Learn mechanics. Learn when to block, interrupt, roll dodge, shield, heal, and res. Yes, you will likely see a topped-out 810 in there melting stuff. WATCH THAT PLAYER. They didn't get to that level of DPS by grinding dolmens with 1,000 people helping kill low level adds.
  • validifyedneb18_ESO
    validifyedneb18_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dolmen grinding is, for several reasons, a terrible idea for new players.

It's boring, it requires way shrines unlocked that the player won't have, it requires you to be fast at organising yourself.

It gives no perk points, so you will end up lvl 50 with only the base perks available to you. You could have spent your time doing main story quests, faction storyline, public dungeons, group dungeons, sky's hard hunting while exploring, dlc storyline. All of which will reward you with extra perk points as you go, needed for you to fully complete a build.
    EU: Magden, Magknight, Stamsorc(*2), Magsorc
    NA: Magplar, Magden, PotatoBlade
  • SpiritofESO
    SpiritofESO
    ✭✭✭
    And it's boring as heck.

I AGREE -- this is NOT playing the game; it is "gaming the game" by reducing the game to its barest, most boring level by "grinding" and/or "farming." The exact OPPOSITE of what it means to PLAY the game! :s

The best and most productive way to play the game and enjoy the challenge is to -- at a low level -- do DELVES which are soloable dungeons, and collecting Skyshards therein and on the landscape will give you a surplus of Skill Points -- and that is worthwhile.

Also, doing Zone Quests (ornate downward pointing arrowhead icon) gives you a basic understanding of each zone AND more Skill Points, gear, gold and XP.

Add to that learning ALL crafting skills. Vitally important at some point in the game, and begin doing research (since it takes time) into whatever crafting area you choose.

Then, for more skill points, more gear, more XP and more fun, do the Daily Random Dungeon plus throw in some Battlegrounds (like it or not) to level up the TWO important Alliance War Assault and Support skill lines to gain, especially, VIGOR (stamina heal) and RAPID MANEUVER (fast gallop) and I would add PURGE (nice, even required, for dragon fighting when the massive DOT from the dragon hits!)

And then -- you can add Dolmen (a word for an ancient stone tomb or site) which will give XP, gear and gold -- also good for "set" jewelry. :smiley:
    Edited by SpiritofESO on January 2, 2021 6:03PM
    • ~ PS NA ~ ALDMERI DOMINION ~
    • IVY GOLDBLADE, WOOD ELF NIGHTBLADE, Former Empress
    • IVY GOLDBLAZE, HIGH ELF TEMPLAR
    • "Adapt or Die"
  • anthoo67
    anthoo67
    Soul Shriven
    And it's boring as heck.

I AGREE -- this is NOT playing the game; it is "gaming the game" by reducing the game to its barest, most boring level by "grinding" and/or "farming." The exact OPPOSITE of what it means to PLAY the game! :s

The best and most productive way to play the game and enjoy the challenge is to -- at a low level -- do DELVES which are soloable dungeons, and collecting Skyshards therein and on the landscape will give you a surplus of Skill Points -- and that is worthwhile.

Also, doing Zone Quests (ornate downward pointing arrowhead icon) gives you a basic understanding of each zone AND more Skill Points, gear, gold and XP.

Add to that learning ALL crafting skills. Vitally important at some point in the game, and begin doing research (since it takes time) into whatever crafting area you choose.

Then, for more skill points, more gear, more XP and more fun, do the Daily Random Dungeon plus throw in some Battlegrounds (like it or not) to level up the TWO important Alliance War Assault and Support skill lines to gain, especially, VIGOR (stamina heal) and RAPID MANEUVER (fast gallop) and I would add PURGE (nice, even required, for dragon fighting when the massive DOT from the dragon hits!)

And then -- you can add Dolmen (a word for an ancient stone tomb or site) which will give XP, gear and gold -- also good for "set" jewelry. :smiley:

Thanks for your input - Sure they can go do all the things you guys suggest, but when I first started, I remember it was a bit of a struggle - (Maybe they have made it easier in levelled dungeons?? quests etc?)

My tips: "really good for newcomers to just help them get going..." its not to level up all the way to 50 in some mindless grind... its to help get started... get a bit of gold in the bank and get some decent decent armour to start out.

So once again if your NEW and struggling a bit with Armour, Gold and want to use higher level weapons etc
    don't be afraid to go to Alikr Desert and spend a bit of time on it. It will definitely help "get you on your way"

But I agree with this guy - dont spoil it by level grinding all the way, most of us have spent a year or two years or much longer on here...Its one of the rare games that has so much to do, you can never get bored...good luck! enjoy
  • Hotdog_23
    Hotdog_23
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Just play the game and enjoy it. Leveling comes naturally. Don't try to rush it if it's your first time thru the content. Grinding sure if just making alternate character.

Personally I rather do public dungeons. Good xp points for quest and whatever you discover along the way. Run across a delve do it also since you get good exp. points again the first time you kill the boss in a delve. Pickup the skyshards as well. Once in the public dungeon do quest for it and always kill the skill point boss/group event for the extra skill point.

You get to learn how to use your new character since public dungeons have bigger mobs and the bosses are harder in general for general PVE. Generally start this process around level 10. Wear training gear 2 pieces from heavy, medium and light then 7th piece wear whatever will be you main use such as light for magic and medium for stamina.

Queue for dungeons also at level 10 the experience again and skill points.

Stay safe and enjoy the game :)
  • zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    And it's boring as heck.

Don't dolmen grind. Learn how to play your character so you know how to play the game. Do the main line/Harborage quest. Do zone story quests (Auridon, Stonefalls, Deshaan, Shadowfen are all pretty decent with a good number of skill points). Do delves. Do public dungeons. Do battlegrounds. Do under-50 Cyrodiil.

My favorite way: Do normal group dungeons when they open up. Learn mechanics. Learn when to block, interrupt, roll dodge, shield, heal, and res. Yes, you will likely see a topped-out 810 in there melting stuff. WATCH THAT PLAYER. They didn't get to that level of DPS by grinding dolmens with 1,000 people helping kill low level adds.
    Agree, now doing dolmens once as doing zones gives tons of XP.

Now dolmen zerging and the midwinter festival quests are very good for is leveling up weapons and skills who is especially nice if you move between magic and stamina. Yes crafting writs are faster here if you leveled up alchemy and enchanting.

Grinding just make you go in circles.
    Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.
  • El_Borracho
    El_Borracho
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    zaria wrote: »
    And it's boring as heck.

Agree, now doing dolmens once as doing zones gives tons of XP.

Now dolmen zerging and the midwinter festival quests are very good for is leveling up weapons and skills who is especially nice if you move between magic and stamina. Yes crafting writs are faster here if you leveled up alchemy and enchanting.

No doubt. And if you are over that CP 160 hump, its a good way to get up to CP 300+.

I still grind out alternates doing the same thing as my first character, just more streamlined. I need the skill points. If I happen upon a dolmen along the way, great. At some point, you still need the skill points or you'll just be light attacking your way through the game