Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Question about leveled quests and items.

SaintAemilian
Hello everyone,
Pretty basic question here, I am well aware. But, having played this game for many years (indeed, I was in the beta!), I never really understood what leveled items and quests meant.

I meant, I have the basic idea, items scale to your current level, yes, yes. But do quest rewards have a cap? Like, if I started the Main Quest at level 50, would I get the highest leveled reward, for example, or would there be a 'ceiling', like how the item will only be, at max, a level 46 item?

Also, regarding Recipes: I know that weapons and such don't level with you, but do consumables? If a Level 1 recipe only offers, for example, 5000 Health at Character Level 1, and offers 5853 Health at CL 2, would I get the leveled bonus upon making that recipe?

WIth this 'logic', would it be best to start questing at around level 10-15 to get the chance to have the maximum bonus?

Thanks to those who answer! Sorry if this has been posted.
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Loot is tied to the level you are when you turn in the quest. If you want the best, don't do story quests until CP160. Delve Boss loot is repeatable, so you can aquire that again as you level.

Crafting is tied to the Material Level Passive, not the character level. It is possible to make CP160 gear on say a L10 character if they have enough skill points to invest in that craft.

I have only one master crafter, they make gear for other characters.

I now only do story quests once I reach L50.

BTW, the main quest loot is as underwhelming at max as it is at leveling ranks.
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• SaintAemilian
    Nestor wrote: »
    Loot is tied to the level you are when you turn in the quest. If you want the best, don't do story quests until CP160. Delve Boss loot is repeatable, so you can aquire that again as you level.

Crafting is tied to the Material Level Passive, not the character level. It is possible to make CP160 gear on say a L10 character if they have enough skill points to invest in that craft.

I have only one master crafter, they make gear for other characters.

I now only do story quests once I reach L50.

BTW, the main quest loot is as underwhelming at max as it is at leveling ranks.

This sounds good, thanks!

And yes, I've noticed that the MQ loot was lackluster, as in it didn't seem to pack a real punch with my weapons.
  • SaintAemilian
    So basically, you have a 'gatherer' toon, then?
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Material Nodes are 50/50 with Character Level and Material Passive Level. So, any character can be a farmer, but if you want all end game mats, you need to invest in the crafting passives. That can be like 50 to 60 skill points for all crafts. So, I only have my dedicated Speed Farmer and my Master Crafter fully skilled up. The rest get the mix of Tier 1 and Top Tier Mats as they go about the game.
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    One advice is to have one character who is the main, this will typicaly be your first unless you dislike him.
    As character does all the quests and zones you get lots of skillpoints so its smart to make him the crafter who also learn all the motifs and blueprint for furniture and is the one collecting crafting surveys and so on.

Grinding just make you go in circles.
    Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.