Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Cyrodiil Message Conduct

lorto777
lorto777
Soul Shriven
I have a suggestion for the Dev ppl. I have several people I run with in PvP and they are taking a break due to the hate whispers they get from the other factions they are fighting. Many people hate losing and will then send a nasty hate whisper to the one that got the killing blow. Would it be possible to block people who are in Cyrodiil from messaging opposing factions while in Cyro PvP? If they must whisper a person then they need to leave Cyrodiil to do so. I think this will cut down on the hate whispers and make it much more enjoyable for many players.
  • SgtNuttzmeg
    SgtNuttzmeg
    ✭✭✭✭
    lorto777 wrote: »
    I have a suggestion for the Dev ppl. I have several people I run with in PvP and they are taking a break due to the hate whispers they get from the other factions they are fighting. Many people hate losing and will then send a nasty hate whisper to the one that got the killing blow. Would it be possible to block people who are in Cyrodiil from messaging opposing factions while in Cyro PvP? If they must whisper a person then they need to leave Cyrodiil to do so. I think this will cut down on the hate whispers and make it much more enjoyable for many players.

You can always use the ignore feature. You still get the initial tell but it's just as effective.
    Legions of Mordor Core

Cold0neFTBs
  • relentless_turnip
    relentless_turnip
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I totally agree with this! I am often put off by people hate whispering me. I have got better with dealing with it, but I agree the opposing faction should not be able to contact you whilst playing.
    It perpetuates what can be a very toxic environment. I hate t-bagging as well, I don't play PvP to make people feel ***. I genuinely enjoy the challenge of fighting other players and feel no negativity to those that kill me or I kill.
  • Taleof2Cities
    Taleof2Cities
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

You can always use the ignore feature. You still get the initial tell but it's just as effective.

@SgtNuttzmeg is right.

The ignore feature has a 100-player capacity ... so use it liberally if you have to.

There’s no way to police what other players say (unless it’s against the TOS).
  • ClawOfTheTwoMoons
    ClawOfTheTwoMoons
    ✭✭✭✭
    You could also appear offline so nobody can send you whispers. It's wonderful.
  • Tandor
    Tandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've never understood why different factions can talk to each other in a PvP zone. It makes no sense.
  • Faiza
    Faiza
    ✭✭✭✭✭

@SgtNuttzmeg is right.

The ignore feature has a 100-player capacity ... so use it liberally if you have to.

You can only ignore 75 players.

If you pvp a lot and ignore everyone who sents you hate messages...that's gonna fill up fast.

There does need to be a better way than just ignoring people, or ZOS should remove the cap
  • SeaGtGruff
    SeaGtGruff
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like to remove my glasses while playing to help reduce eye strain, which makes the screen a bit blurry, so I have to lean a bit closer to the part of the screen I'm most interested in, which helps me ignore the chat box and focus on the game. :)
    I've fought mudcrabs more fearsome than me!
  • SgtNuttzmeg
    SgtNuttzmeg
    ✭✭✭✭
    Faiza wrote: »

@SgtNuttzmeg is right.

You can only ignore 75 players.

If you pvp a lot and ignore everyone who sents you hate messages...that's gonna fill up fast.

There does need to be a better way than just ignoring people, or ZOS should remove the cap

Perhaps but personally I have yet to fill it and I have been liberally ignoring since 2016
    Legions of Mordor Core

Cold0neFTBs
  • renne
    renne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

I don't think there's an ignore feature on console, but you can just block them instead.
  • Crash427
    Crash427
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The worst is people who send hate tells then go offline mode.
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Pretty much this. There is a negative effect of what OP proposes as I may need to whisper a friend about raiding later that night yet I am in Cyrodiil, maybe they are too.

Considering Zos already gave us a solution that works incredibly well there is no reason to hinder others.

Oh, the best thing to do is not reply to them. Doing so lets them think they can get to you and really serves no purpose. Let them fume in their own incompetence alone.
  • kargen27
    kargen27
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tandor wrote: »
    I've never understood why different factions can talk to each other in a PvP zone. It makes no sense.

The PvP guild I was in used to do guild vs guild battles in Cyrodiil. Being able to whisper is needed to coordinate locations. If you PvP often you get to know the players in other factions. It isn't uncommon for players familiar with you in other factions to share the build (or part of it anyway) they used to kill you with over and over if you ask.

Getting on to the opening post. A better idea might be a toggle so players who do not want to receive whispers from the enemy factions can toggle them off. Players that don't mind the whispers would leave them toggled on. If you have whispers toggled off and someone whispers you they would receive a notice that you are not receiving whispers.
    and then the parrot said, "must be the water mines green too."
  • techyeshic
    techyeshic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No way. How else would you know you did something right? I mean; dead players cannot tea bag.

There's also the opposite end of the spectrum. Some people on opposing factions are really cool when you talk to them.
    Edited by techyeshic on January 1, 2021 2:31AM
  • JamieAubrey
    JamieAubrey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Only way you get a hate whisper and a mouthful of abuse from me is if you tbag me

• Faiza
    Faiza
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    techyeshic wrote: »
    No way. How else would you know you did something right? I mean; dead players cannot tea bag.

There's also the opposite end of the spectrum. Some people on opposing factions are really cool when you talk to them.

One time I was turning in a quest inside the house at Vlastarus

As I was talking to the npc, two blues came in behind me, and one of them attacked me, so of course I started attacking back, well after a short skirmish inside the house, no one dies, the other blue leaves, so i go out the door as well and leave in the opposite direction.

Then one of them messages me and says, "I just wanted to turn in the quest, you didn't have to attack me :( " So I responded, "I DIDN'T attack you, I was talking to the npc, you hit me first!" then we realized that our sorc pets probably just attacked each other, making us both think it was the other player.

We laughed about it and got on talking. He was doing dailies to try to get an antiquity and I told him I was collecting cyrodiil oranges for war torte, then we got on talking about housing, and recipes, and crafting...and now we're friends :D

So yeah, sometimes talking to the other faction isn't a bad thing haha.
  • LMFBA
    LMFBA
    ✭✭✭

Offline mode = exactly what you want.
  • VampireLordLover99
    VampireLordLover99
    ✭✭✭✭

They are just words on a screen.

Ignoring and blocking are very effective.

It helps to not read too much into what people whisper after you kill them.

If people are genuinely taking breaks due to hate whispers then an online PvP game might just not be for them. PvP games will always be toxic in some manner or form, this is a fact. The devs have given you options to deal with it.

it's part of the whole 'being online' thing.
    Edited by VampireLordLover99 on January 1, 2021 4:18AM
  • Roztlin45
    Roztlin45
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am not going to hide my online presence or block anyone! Stand up to bullys and jerks. Make them hide and block you!
  • SeaGtGruff
    SeaGtGruff
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Only way you get a hate whisper and a mouthful of abuse from me is if you tbag me

I got t-bagged by a player during the last IC event.

I was doing the IC daily with the Ogrim traps. My alliance (DC) enters near one trap, so my established procedure was to do that one first, then go to the next trap on the same side of the district and set it, which is right by a door to the next district, so I run through that door to reach safety on a balcony in that other district. But after I set the second trap, I got spotted by the NPCs near that door, so I had to fight them.

As I'm taking out the NPCs (a bit slowly, because my DPS is low), an enemy player runs up and starts attacking me. I'll call them EP1, but EP means Enemy Player, not Ebonheart Pact, because they might have been AD; I honestly don't recall. I start defending myself and fighting back against everyone-- NPCs and EP1-- but naturally the NPCs were ignoring EP1 because they were focused on me. Thank goodness I'm tanky, so I was holding out against everybody.

Then another enemy player from EP1's alliance-- I'll call them EP2-- runs up and joins in the fun. EP2 takes me out easily with just a few hits, then finishes off the NPCs, then turns and runs off because they're more interested in finishing the quest.

So guess who t-bags me? Exactly! EP1, who couldn't kill me.

Except I'd been in the process of trying to get through the door when I was first attacked by the NPCs, so my corpse was so close to the doorway and wall that my third-person view was basically indistinguishable from a first-person view because my corpse's back was to the wall, so to speak, hence when EP1 t-bagged me all I could see were their head and shoulders going up and down, so it looked as though EP1 were bowing repeatedly to me.

I laughed out loud!

True story.
    I've fought mudcrabs more fearsome than me!
  • Jaraal
    Jaraal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't care about the hate whispers, I must be doing something right to get under somebody's skin. But TBH, I've had a lot of great conversations with enemy players over long duels, or whispers about gear sets and whatnot. And I'm not above telling somebody they outplayed me, and that I respect their talent. If you are kind to people, they usually respond in a like manner.

I, for one, would not like having my ability to communicate with enemy players rescinded. After all, they are no better or worse than you and I. I think the good that can come from conversation outweighs the potential bad, and a reasonable person should be able to take rude criticism with a grain of salt.
    RIP Bosmer Nation. 4/4/14 - 2/25/19.
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jaraal wrote: »
    I don't care about the hate whispers, I must be doing something right to get under somebody's skin. But TBH, I've had a lot of great conversations with enemy players over long duels, or whispers about gear sets and whatnot. And I'm not above telling somebody they outplayed me, and that I respect their talent. If you are kind to people, they usually respond in a like manner.

I, for one, would not like having my ability to communicate with enemy players rescinded. After all, they are no better or worse than you and I. I think the good that can come from conversation outweighs the potential bad, and a reasonable person should be able to take rude criticism with a grain of salt.

This is a very good point to support continuing with the status quo.

Besides that we already have the ability to place another on our ignore list it is also very easy to avoid replying to hate whispers. The mentality of the people who resort to that because they were defeated will end up realizing you are smarter than they are and realize it is a waste of time to send you such hate whispers.
  • katanagirl1
    katanagirl1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    renne wrote: »

I don't think there's an ignore feature on console, but you can just block them instead.

You can only block 20 players on console

Not nearly enough as I have already hit that limit.

I don’t need to have PSN messages blocked, I just don’t want to see them in zone text chat.

Khajiit Stamblade
    Dark Elf Magsorc
    Redguard Stamina Dragonknight
    Orc Stamplar PVP
    Breton Magsorc PVP

PS5 NA

• idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I don’t need to have PSN messages blocked, I just don’t want to see them in zone text chat.

Again, just refrain from replying to them. The ability to ignore someone goes beyond putting them on a list.

I can only assume people that are truly upset about getting these hate whispers have replied to them. Stop doing that as it is pointless to do so.

These people are raging via text because of their own inadequacies which go beyond that they suck at PvP. Do not let them bring you down to their level. They are not worth it.
  • renne
    renne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Wait really? I didn't know that.