The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

WE NEED:- Glow points. Sourceless Omnidirectional illumination.

Princess_Kassiopeia
Princess_Kassiopeia
✭✭✭✭
For the gardens and even interiors of houses/caverns etc we need to be able to have "Glow points". A pixel point that illuminates an omni-directional light source with no actual visible light source.
This way we could illuminate dark corners of a garden or a cliff face / cavern / high ceiling and if the glow points were coloured we could choose the colour most suited to the environment within which we wished it.
Atmospherically this would work very well ANBD we could, for example, have any one of our trophies "glow" by throwing light around it making it stand out at night somewhere on a pedestal or in a glade of our gardens.

In "edit" mode you'd see a cube which would be your anchor point to move it about. But in normal mode it would simply throw out light.
I think this could have massive implications on lighting in any set.

Does anyone else agree?
"All young girls think they are Princesses. Life teaches that we have to also be warriors."
Menelaus, king of Sparta and his wife, Helen of Troy.
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    While I think lighting can be improved I think illumination needs to remain with lighting and the "sunlight".
  • rumple9
    rumple9
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Place a light inside a wall or under the ground
  • Faiza
    Faiza
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I achieve this largely by putting small psijic waterglobes or small magma geodes inside of other items.
  • UntilValhalla13
    UntilValhalla13
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I just hide candles within things, especially the daedric blue candles, to give off eerie glows.
  • Daemons_Bane
    Daemons_Bane
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    You WANT a projector, it is not a need.. and as people have already said, there are ways to light up items
  • Princess_Kassiopeia
    Princess_Kassiopeia
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hmmm. lots of misunderstood comments there.....

Let me try and simplify this for the non-gardeners.

Lighting nodes in this fashion do not take up slots.
    Lighting in this fashion means I can have a light source two feet proud (away from , not inside, not against, not "in") of any object.

I CANNOT float a candle or a lantern in front of a picture I want illuminated.

I CANNOT float some candle bunch in front of a trophy to selectively illuminate the features of its design in a dark corner.

I CANNOT bury a lantern inside the thin branch of a tree because I want parts of the tree illuminated at night magically.

I CANNOT light a pathway by hovering glowing weeds three foot above the already planted decorated pathway

UNLESS I had illuminating point light sources.
    "All young girls think they are Princesses. Life teaches that we have to also be warriors."
  • mairwen85
    mairwen85
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    On a similar note, dynamic, positionable light sources for the outfit station.
  • Kiralyn2000
    Kiralyn2000
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Lighting nodes in this fashion would definitely still take up slots. Because that cast light is still part of the rendering budget for the space.
  • Princess_Kassiopeia
    Princess_Kassiopeia
    ✭✭✭✭

Lighting nodes in this fashion would definitely still take up slots. Because that cast light is still part of the rendering budget for the space.

It would be illogical for them to take up slots because they have no direct body-render tax via GPU as would, say, a 40+ sided cabinet for interior placement.
    Don't argue this point. I'm a professional animation engineer. They are costless... The only thing that may come into play is shadow tax. But even then the existing garden I wish to enhance has over 110 lanterns already and growing in number. I see no flicker yet.
    Our systems here constantly run on 100+RFPS and suffer no demeanage of render quality because of something so menial. We even render real-time @128rfps. Most sets we deploy have at the very least 200 light nodes of about 30+ different hues, densities, directions, strengths and graduation. (Light graduation intensity from core to outer perimeter.).

If it was devised that they were to take up slots this still wouldn't be reason for them to be absent.

Housing in ESO is a stunning method of allowing personalised interaction with friends and visitors and is a stunningly superior solution to everything from Chat windows to IMVU.
    I deploy it and take it very seriously. To the credit of the designers and digital artists who engineered the facility.

My wish is to voice some simple improvements that enhance and "superiorize" the environment already in place.
    After all, if the user wishes to spend money on light node enhancement... how can this be a detriment to Bethesda, ESO or any of the other bodies so involved?

I would say vote for superior lighting instead of tollerating something [snip]

[edited for baiting]
    Edited by ZOS_Lunar on December 31, 2020 3:54PM
  • Grandchamp1989
    Grandchamp1989
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Clockwork Illuminator, Solitary Capsule will give you the most natural light in the game in the largest area (along Psijic lights for blue lights and Culanda stones for yellow light).

Hide of of those in the ceiling and/or walls and everything will be lit up.
  • Sylvermynx
    Sylvermynx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Clockwork Illuminator, Solitary Capsule will give you the most natural light in the game in the largest area (along Psijic lights for blue lights and Culanda stones for yellow light).

Hide of of those in the ceiling and/or walls and everything will be lit up.

Hard to do that in a midnight garden outdoors....
  • Daemons_Bane
    Daemons_Bane
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    As a lore fan, I would also like to know, is there a viable bay for this.? Not that I would support night club light projectors, but it's a good thing to know
  • Princess_Kassiopeia
    Princess_Kassiopeia
    ✭✭✭✭
    I think the only way to have this solution validated is for someone (not digitally qualified) to take, say, a lantern, and move it INSIDE a wall or rock face... !!!!! then move it OUT of the rock face then AWAY from the rock face.... and notice the beautiful effect it has on the surrounds AND the rock face. NOW eliminate the lantern but NOT the emittted ambient omnidirectional light.

VOILA.

I could place 4 light nodes around a tree, say, 4 feet off the ground, and illuminate that tree for a superb night time effect.
    If I had "four floating Clockwork Illuminated Solitary Capsules" over the LARGEST possible area..... it would completely obliterate the delicate effect I was after and look riddiculous.

I dont want giant areas lit. Nor floating inane props glowing about hovering.
    Just ambient light for shadows and effect. :s

I think the only way to show others what this is all about is to actually go into my own software and create this simple demo.
    I had no idea this would be such an inordinately difficult concept to grasp.

I KNOW the people who devise ESO know what Im talking about because its a major part of every day basic design in ESO.
    Edited by Princess_Kassiopeia on December 31, 2020 4:18PM
  • Raideen
    Raideen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I agree OP. In fact ZOS uses this very "trick" for some of their lighting in game. Lighting both IRL decorating, film making, photography and games is one of the most important aspects of creating a visually appealing space. There is no reason we should not have omni directional lighting AND spot lights that do not have a physical rendered body. Those who know how to employ lighting techniques could create some truly stunning homes in ESO.

Secondly, I have a hard time accepting the official excuse reason for furnishing limits for a number of reasons. The official reason has something to do with "ensuring all players have good performance in homes".

1. Not all players get "good performance" even roaming around in game. Any major city has much more going on in lighting, poly count, and player models/data streaming than any home in game.
    2. The amount of random players visiting a home is EXTREMELY small and in reality not even worth considering. I have 19 homes and over the course of 3 years I may have not had more than 30 visitors. Of course I don't set the rule, but I bet my scenario is more common place than the scenario where any given home is seeing hundreds of visitors a month. So take this small number and then extract how many have potato computers. The number gets even smaller and less worthy of consideration.
    3. If there is a "rendering budget", then how come ALL homes are not set to 350 or 700 with ESO+?....and on the ESO+ Topic, how does spending 15 dollars a month increase your "rendering budget"? That is not how rendering works. I am sure someone could argue the rendering density, but even that makes no sense because you can cram 200 items in Snug Pod which is about as dense as it gets.
    4. If "performance" was the reason, how come some homes have a large amount of polygons and textures being loaded into memory that the player will never see? When my Stillwaters house had invis walls added in the Markarth update (that have since been fixed, ty ZOS), I was able to walk through the walls and see the "backside" of the environment. There were a large amount of unused objects placed that were never cleaned up. This game does not use occlusion culling so all of these assets are loaded into memory. If player performance was the goal, all of these items would have been cleaned up.

It appears to me that the reason for limiting furnishing items has less to do with player performance and more to do with server costs and data transfer costs. ESO+ allowing for double the furnishing amount makes more sense now, as they are making more money to spend on server and data costs.

• Sylvermynx
    Sylvermynx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree too @Princess_Kassiopeia - we had that sort of thing in RIFT and it was a very helpful thing, and quite useful for lighting up most anything. RIFT's housing was so much better than what we have here - and that's the only reason I miss that game.
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

It would be illogical for them to take up slots because they have no direct body-render tax via GPU as would, say, a 40+ sided cabinet for interior placement.

It would be logical for them to take up slots as everything placed into a home takes up a slot.
    Edited by idk on January 2, 2021 2:40PM
  • Faiza
    Faiza
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    idk wrote: »

It would be logical for them to take up slots as everything placed into a home takes up a slot.
    Hmmm. lots of misunderstood comments there.....

Let me try and simplify this for the non-gardeners.

Just because there is not agreement does not mean those in disagreement are not gamers. Heck, I have been playing digital games since the 1970s starting with pong, then consoles. I started online gaming in 1992, almost three decades ago, with a 386 and a 2800 baud modem. I think I have been gaming long enough to be considered a gamer. I expect everyone who has posted in this thread is a gamer as well.

Gardeners...she wrote gardeners. She didn't accuse anyone of not being a gamer.
  • Princess_Kassiopeia
    Princess_Kassiopeia
    ✭✭✭✭
    I am a Gardener... :-)
    See my Garden.
    ussyxr7lwepq.png

lauoioep065e.png

4k48lkbu607n.png

1crsiw3426nw.png

Im a Chinese Artist in real life anyway. But I wanted a Chinese garden without dead animal and monster heads everywhere. :p
    I wanted Romance and quietude and sexy and stillness where people can romance together and share
    kiss-wishes........................ and then blow the crap out of each other if the needs surface. :D:p
  • Jaimeh
    Jaimeh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    rumple9 wrote: »
    Place a light inside a wall or under the ground

The problem with this is that the surface of the ground or the wall afterwards seems like it's flickering, and also the problem of direction remains. I would like omnidirectional light sources as well, if only to lessen the amount of slots used to light up dark areas in houses, as in some houses this is a big issue.
  • Dr_Con
    Dr_Con
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I think the word you're looking for is Lumens
  • Ugrak
    Ugrak
    ✭✭✭
    Glow points would be cool, but what I'd also want is a shadow/darkness version of it.

Edited to add that I've found that the New Moon crates shadow tendril patch is exactly such an item. A shame it's not a more readily available item, but I'm happy it exists.
    Edited by Ugrak on February 12, 2023 5:56PM