Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 15
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
The issue is resolved, and the North American PC/Mac megaserver is now available. Thank you for your patience!

Most fun Magicka class

washbern
washbern
✭✭✭✭
Hey everyone,

I'm trying to figure out the most fun and versatile magicka class for PVE. I'm not looking for necessarily the highest parsing class, rather the one that can have many versatile builds for solo, dungeon and trial gameplays. What i am not particularly fond of are classes with the ability to make very different builds and versatile playstyles without necessarily having to respec.

From my research i foudn that the likeliest candidates are Templar and Warden. My guild also said that Nightblade is can fit this bill but i don't know anything about that. Thank you in advance!
  • the1andonlyskwex
    the1andonlyskwex
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm not sure I understand what you want. Are you asking for a class that is forced to respec every time they want to try something different? I'm not really sure why that would be desirable.

Assuming what you want is a class that has a particularly wide variety of playstyle options, it seems like nightblade and sorcerer would be the best examples. Nightblades because they have distinct stealth and non-stealth options, and Sorcerers because they have distinct pet and no-pet options.
  • washbern
    washbern
    ✭✭✭✭
    i'm asking for the latter. thank you!
  • Taleof2Cities
    Taleof2Cities
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Assuming what you want is a class that has a particularly wide variety of playstyle options, it seems like nightblade and sorcerer would be the best examples. Nightblades because they have distinct stealth and non-stealth options, and Sorcerers because they have distinct pet and no-pet options.

I think the Warden class has a wider range in terms of playstyle options, @the1andonlyskwex ... especially in the role trinity (tank, DPS, healer).

I haven't heard of a lot of Sorc or Nightblade tanks or healers in either PvE or PvP. They do exist, but it's a niche gameplay style.
  • the1andonlyskwex
    the1andonlyskwex
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I think the Warden class has a wider range in terms of playstyle options, @the1andonlyskwex ... especially in the role trinity (tank, DPS, healer).

I haven't heard of a lot of Sorc or Nightblade tanks or healers in either PvE or PvP. They do exist, but it's a niche gameplay style.

The OP specifically said they didn't care about being the highest parsing class, which I took to mean they didn't really care about the meta. From that perspective, any class can pretty much play any role. I've certainly healed fine with all of the classes.

Similarly, it's probably worth pointing out that every class can also be played as both magicka and stamina, so there aren't really any true one trick ponies in ESO.
  • Firstmep
    Firstmep
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I like magicka templar, you can play melee, ranged, support, dps whatever.

Tons of options, that are all okay, if not bis.

You get to RP as a Priest and a Paladin on the same class, cant really ask for more ^^
  • El_Borracho
    El_Borracho
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I think the sorc is the most versatile. Many different setups, lots of gear combinations, lots of skill combinations, ability to solo as well as group play, it can be a DPS machine or healer, and if you're not chasing 90K+ its pretty easy to play.

With that said, I still love Magblade. The damage is just too much to quit, as is the ability to slot different skills. Though it takes a while to get used to the play style versus something like magsorc
  • washbern
    washbern
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks so much for your suggestions
  • SpiritofESO
    SpiritofESO
    ✭✭✭
    Firstmep wrote: »
    I like magicka templar, you can play melee, ranged, support, dps whatever.

Tons of options, that are all okay, if not bis.

You get to RP as a Priest and a Paladin on the same class, cant really ask for more ^^

~~~

Agreed. My Bosmer NIghtblade is for my "serious" work, but my Altmer Templar is so easy to play and versatile.
    :smiley:
    Edited by SpiritofESO on January 2, 2021 6:07PM
    • ~ PS NA ~ ALDMERI DOMINION ~
    • IVY GOLDBLADE, WOOD ELF NIGHTBLADE, Former Empress
    • IVY GOLDBLAZE, HIGH ELF TEMPLAR
    • "Adapt or Die"
  • Aznarb
    Aznarb
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll said Sorc.
    I've play every class, Templar and Warden the most and wouldn't touch a sorc cuz I don't like pet.
    Now that I've stop running hard content I've take time to test sorc, and I feel stupid to have wait so long, it's very fun, not the top in anything, but not bad at anything too, a very good middle ground class.

Tank is strong and sustain easy, lack a bit of group support.
    DDs stam can have a strong themed build which make them even funnier to play and still reach 90k+
    Sorc heal, same as Tank easy but lack of group support (aka useful buff)

You can't go wrong with sorc really :)
    Since I pick it I don't touch all my other char, love it. I even plan to test a lazy HA build just to see how it is x)

Finding the good class is always hard, take your time @OP !
    [ PC EU ]

[ Khuram-dar ]
    [ Khajiit ]
    [ Templar - Healer ]
    [Crazy Gatherer & Compulsive Thief]

• Zer0_CooL
    Zer0_CooL
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    MagDk
  • UrbanMonk
    UrbanMonk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Urban.Monk

-Monk I- Magden- ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
    -Tsürügi- MagBlade- ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
    -Bantam Bomber- MagPlar- AVA28
    -Hot Nöödle- MagDK - AVA37
    -Pablo Necrobar- StamCro- AVA24

youtube.com/c/UrbanMonkGaming
    Easiest mDK for vMA and vVH- https://youtu.be/dUxQO1FO1XQ

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
    Balance for the Sake of Balance is no Balance at all.
  • zvavi
    zvavi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Healers and tanks are usually dependant on group composition, during elseweyr patch nb's were main tanks (when stamcros were bis), NB healers were a thing during the roaring invisa crit hit thing, sorc tanks and healers are pretty common in vCR in the last few patches cause nobody runs mag sorcs, so I wouldn't call it niche playstyle...
  • Hotdog_23
    Hotdog_23
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Think you will get a lot of different answers as everyone will have different opinion. My first thought was DK but then again it was my first and most time played class.

Really all class can do what is asked but go Dark Elf for race since they are the best for both stamina/magic if switching between highest offensive stat.

Stay safe and have fun :)
  • fred4
    fred4
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I'm a PvPer, but I also do dungeons and solo PvE, for example the vet solo arenas.

What you and I find fun may not be the same thing. I find classes that are straightforward to play more fun than ones that have complex rotations or class mechanics. Straightforward skills to me are things like gap closers, executes, but also DOTs, burst heals and HOTs. I prefer skills that are reactive, rather than proactive. I don't like too many buffs.

According to the above, then, I find magplar fun. It's an easy class to play and to get good damage out of. Sweeps being the only skill you truly need doesn't mean the class is boring. It's got such a complete toolkit of "gold standard" skills including a gap closer, execute and burst heal. That just makes for a responsive and visceral feeling character.

I only tried mag DK a long time ago. I hated it, specifically the healing mechanics. Many of mag DKs heals are delayed and tied into your rotation, such as from Burning Embers, Deep Breath and Flame Lash. This is something I find highly artifical busywork and I really have no time for it. Your mileage may vary.

Magden is IMO a frightfully boring class. It is buff-heavy and inward looking. You're more concerned with your rotation than with what's going on around you. As a PvPer that is anathema to me, but I guess for some people that's what they like.

Magblade is both straightforward and complicated. Like templar it has good, straightforward damage skills that also heal you as well as an execute and gap closer. However to get the most out of it, you're going to play the Merciless Resolve mini-game, which is meh.

Magsorc then. I really have not explored this class in PvE. Lends itself to different builds, pet, non-pet, "standard" or heavy attack builds. In PvP you tend to get shoehorned into one way of building, e.g. for high magicka and burst, although I see more variety lately. A good class, I suppose.

I don't play Necro. Have not bought the class, based on it coming from the same team that made warden.

Let's go over some of the fun skills that classes have.

DKs greatest asset is probably Leap, but that's more a PvP skill. Wings used to be fun when they truly reflected attacks.

Wardens, to their credit, have some fun skills, such as the teleport rune and the Nature's Embrace heal. More for PvP, though, and fairly niche, which is why they don't really contribute much to warden getting a good grade from me.

Nightblades have Shadow Image, a hard skill to master, but very fun when you do. Again a PvP skill. Cloak, though, is a game changer in both solo PvP and PvE. In PvE it allows you to skip mobs, collect skyshards and probably helps with Thieves Guild and Dark Brotherhood quests.

Most fun skill of sorcs: Streak!
    PC EU (EP): Magicka NB (main), Stamina NB, Stamina DK, Stamina Sorcerer, Magicka Warden, Magicka Templar, Stamina Templar
    PC NA (EP): Magicka NB
  • LannStone
    LannStone
    ✭✭✭✭
    What you'll probably end up doing to experience a wide variety of play styles is create many different characters over time. I never thought I would when I started but now have 13, and a lot of players have more than that :)
  • FrancisCrawford
    FrancisCrawford
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    My favorite magicka class varies from patch to patch. My first four characters to Undaunted 10 were sorcerers and templars, but my current favorite is warden. That said, I mainly either solo, duo or heal. All six classes work well enough for me to heal a DLC dungeon, tromp through normal Maelstrom Arena, solo any public dungeon group event, or solo most non-DLC world bosses.

Tank builds generally assume you'll respec to stack lots of health. If you plan to keep 60+ attribute points in magicka and still want to tank, conventional wisdom about tanking might be off-base. In particular -- and I'm largely just guessing here -- I think sorcerer might rise in the rankings to challenge or overtake warden, while templar would remain weak but narrow the gap vs. the others.
  • wheresbes
    wheresbes
    ✭✭✭✭
    [quote=" (...) Tank builds generally assume you'll respec to stack lots of health. If you plan to keep 60+ attribute points in magicka and still want to tank, conventional wisdom about tanking might be off-base. (...) [/quote]

Fortunately, not necessarily, at least for content that is not too hard. On my magblade (60 points in mag) when I switch to tank gear I have 40000 hp which is plenty, and good resistances, tough I could def improve with group utility.