The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

proposal on fixing snipe and its problems

notyuu
notyuu
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭
For all seven of you unaware as to what the problems with snipe are, I shall list them below
1: in PvE snipe looks very powerful on paper leading to nubcakes spamming it and dealing potato dps due to the cast time which they forget to factor in.
2: in PvP snipe is subject to desync to such an extreme level where you can get hit by it 3 times in 0 seconds resulting in your health just vanishing.

Fixing either of these problems directly would result in an ability that is either useless or disgustingly overpowered so instead what is proposed is a complete swap with snipe and rapid fire

Snipe>Three Fold Barrage: Instant cast 3 hit 28 meter range shot from the bow, each hit would deal 25% the damage of snipe, can't crit.
Morph 1: Three Fold Barrage > Five Fold Barrage: deals an additional 2 hits per cast, totaling to 5
Morph 2: Three Fold Barrage > Precise Barrage: Power can now crit, upon crit applies minor defile to the target for 6 seconds

Rapid Fire >Sniper Shot: 1 second cast time, deal 150% damage of snipe, 50 meter range, 165 ult cost
Morph 1: Sniper Shot > Explosive Shot: deals an additional 50% of the damage to enemies within 5 meters of the target
Morph 2: Sniper shot > Piercing shot: Initial hit ignores 50% of the targets resistance and reduces their resistance by 30% for 6 seconds.

And for all 1 of you out there using the point blank snipe set, there would be a simple update to the set
Point Blank Snipe>Point-Blank Barrage: Increases the damage of Three Fold barrage and it's morphs based on how close you are to your target, 33% at 5 meters, 5% at 20 meters.
Edited by notyuu on December 30, 2020 12:21PM
  • Qbiken
    Qbiken
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    One of the main issues with snipe is the underlying mechanics off attacks from sneak/invisibility will cause you to stun the target. This mechanic needs to get removed asap. Makes no sense for a skill to stun someone just because you hit someone from behind while invisible or in sneak. Remove this mechanic and you´ll remove a huge part of the issue with snipe (which is the random stun that causes your character to spas out for 2 seconds before the damage even register on your end).
  • The_Old_Goat
    The_Old_Goat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    While I agree that something needs to be done about the desync, a snipe from behind most definitely should have a stun.
  • TequilaFire
    TequilaFire
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The first place to start is to have a death recap that actually works.
  • Vlad9425
    Vlad9425
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Redesign the ability to be a quick bow spammable and not a ganking tool used by cowardly players and the majority of the community will be happy.
  • BXR_Lonestar
    BXR_Lonestar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    IMO, snipe just needs to be moved to the ultimate slot. Give it a huge buff (for instance, make a morph that ignores enemy resistances), make the ultimate cost be around 200-250, and make it a guaranteed hit on targets within range. Basically, make the snipe ability an ability that cannot be spammed, but once you have it, it virtually guarantees a kill, and then replace the ability slot with something else.
  • itscompton
    itscompton
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I tuned out the second you suggested having a base weapon ability that can't crit.
  • robpr
    robpr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Snipe itself is fine, just fix desynchs and swap places of skills:
    1. Scattershot
    2. Volley
    3. Poison Injection
    4. Arrow spread
    5. Snipe

or make Snipe an ult then replace existing snipe with 0.8s version of Rapid Fire, something akin Rapid Strikes.
  • JobooAGS
    JobooAGS
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    itscompton wrote: »
    I tuned out the second you suggested having a base weapon ability that can't crit.

One of the morphs can crit and has minor defile so just pick that morph and there are no issues. Plus the other morph will have 5 shots in it making it 25% more damage than the current snipe except no cast time (other than channel time) and no interruptability making it more suited for malacath builds and builds with low crit to begin with. If you do the math, 3* 25% of snipe is already stronger than most spammables including surprise attack on nb and crystal weapon on sorc not even factoring in including bow passives and the 5 shot morph is 25% stronger than snipe (imagine that with malacath and hawkeye stacks and a decent range!)

Overall this is actually a decent suggestion, and arguably better than what I came up with (for morphs and base ability that is)
    Edited by JobooAGS on December 30, 2020 5:53PM
  • Sgrug
    Sgrug
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    IMO, snipe just needs to be moved to the ultimate slot. Give it a huge buff (for instance, make a morph that ignores enemy resistances), make the ultimate cost be around 200-250, and make it a guaranteed hit on targets within range. Basically, make the snipe ability an ability that cannot be spammed, but once you have it, it virtually guarantees a kill, and then replace the ability slot with something else.

No abilty should be an insta gib ultimate or not. That screams abuse and op.
  • alainjbrennanb16_ESO
    alainjbrennanb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    snipe's cast time is wrong its instant if you bash the button, this is down to zos not making sure this cant be done, go check on a test dummy
    Main character dk - Vanikifar whitestrike
  • Joy_Division
    Joy_Division
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I dont care how much ultimate it costs, the idea that anything on a player's bar can just delete a player is crazy.

It also gets to the core of why so many players hate this ability: many of its users want to press a single button from a safe postion and expect it to devastate the target.
  • JobooAGS
    JobooAGS
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What I was thinking of was

Rapid fire: cost 3040 base stamina range 28 m .6 sec channel time:

Shoot 3 arrows in a rapid succession dealing damage .2-.24x of current snipe damage each shot

Morph one:
    Toxic Barrage: cost 3040 base stamina range 28 m .8 sec channel:

Shoot 4 poisoned arrows in a rapid succession each dealing .24x snipe poison damage each shot. You are guaranteed to proc the poisoned status per cast. (Increases the channel time and another arrow to the shot while also proccing the poisoned status effect)

Morph 2:
    Archer’s Focus: cost 2700 stamina at rank 4 range 28 m .6 sec channel

Shoot 3 arrows in a rapid succession each dealing .24x snipe physical damage. When enemies are hit with this ability you mark it allowing you and your allies can increase your hawk eye stacks up to 2 additional stacks on that enemy for 10 seconds. (Grants additional hawk eye stacks on marked enemies reduces cost per rank)
    Edited by JobooAGS on December 30, 2020 6:27PM
  • Waffennacht
    Waffennacht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Desync is the only issue.

Without Desync it would be fine ability as is

Having 5 abilities land at once because someone fired 3 snipes at you and desynced you while you fought others is a freakin travesty
    Gamer tag: DasPanzerKat NA Xbox One
    1300+ CP
    Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds
  • Eedat
    Eedat
    ✭✭✭✭✭

There should never be a "press 1 button and win for free" skill, let alone one that cant even be avoided. This would be the most blatantly overpowered skill in the game by a large margin
  • Eedat
    Eedat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    notyuu wrote: »
    For all seven of you unaware as to what the problems with snipe are, I shall list them below
    1: in PvE snipe looks very powerful on paper leading to nubcakes spamming it and dealing potato dps due to the cast time which they forget to factor in.
    2: in PvP snipe is subject to desync to such an extreme level where you can get hit by it 3 times in 0 seconds resulting in your health just vanishing.

Fixing either of these problems directly would result in an ability that is either useless or disgustingly overpowered so instead what is proposed is a complete swap with snipe and rapid fire

Snipe>Three Fold Barrage: Instant cast 3 hit 28 meter range shot from the bow, each hit would deal 25% the damage of snipe, can't crit.
    Morph 1: Three Fold Barrage > Five Fold Barrage: deals an additional 2 hits per cast, totaling to 5
    Morph 2: Three Fold Barrage > Precise Barrage: Power can now crit, upon crit applies minor defile to the target for 6 seconds

Rapid Fire >Sniper Shot: 1 second cast time, deal 150% damage of snipe, 50 meter range, 165 ult cost
    Morph 1: Sniper Shot > Explosive Shot: deals an additional 50% of the damage to enemies within 5 meters of the target
    Morph 2: Sniper shot > Piercing shot: Initial hit ignores 50% of the targets resistance and reduces their resistance by 30% for 6 seconds.

And for all 1 of you out there using the point blank snipe set, there would be a simple update to the set
    Point Blank Snipe>Point-Blank Barrage: Increases the damage of Three Fold barrage and it's morphs based on how close you are to your target, 33% at 5 meters, 5% at 20 meters.

I'm actually fine with snipe as it is now tbh. I'm not a fan of making snipe actually viable to spam over and over and over. Your suggestion just tailors it for abuse in malacath + dual proc set meta which I would strongly oppose. You cant just give it 125% damage and make it a spammable. Not being able to crit means nothing when someone is running malacaths, especially gankers. It has super high base damage because of the cast time. For reference, your suggestion would make snipe a spammable with the base damage of 1.5 wrecking blows from 35 meters. Oh, and it stuns from stealth too. I'm gonna say absolutely not.

The desyncs have absolutely nothing to do with just this skill and are not a valid reason as to why snipe specifically needs a change.
  • MisterBigglesworth
    MisterBigglesworth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Change Snipe into an ability where you hold down the key/button for up to 5 seconds, kinda like medium/heavy attacks, but you have to release the button in order for it to fire, and it deals up 120% of it's current damage depending on how many seconds you held it down. That way you can begin to draw before your target is within range and/or in line of sight, at which point it becomes an "instant" attack with a pseudo cooldown.
    Really we do it without like, the musical instruments. This is the only musical: the mouth. And hopefully the brain attached to the mouth. Right? The brain, more important than the mouth, is the brain. The brain is much more important.
  • TequilaFire
    TequilaFire
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I dont care how much ultimate it costs, the idea that anything on a player's bar can just delete a player is crazy.

It also gets to the core of why so many players hate this ability: many of its users want to press a single button from a safe postion and expect it to devastate the target.

Surprised at you, you know it doesn't work like that.
  • AcadianPaladin
    AcadianPaladin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree with @Waffennacht and @Eedat. Fix desynch (for PvP) and leave the actual ability alone. I play four bow/bow PvE archers of differing classes. All of them use snipe, none of them 'spam snipe', and all of them can solo a fair number of normal group dungeons and solo most alliance zone WBs.
    PC NA(no Steam), PvE, mostly solo
  • YandereGirlfriend
    YandereGirlfriend
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    robpr wrote: »
    Snipe itself is fine, just fix desynchs and swap places of skills:
    1. Scattershot
    2. Volley
    3. Poison Injection
    4. Arrow spread
    5. Snipe

or make Snipe an ult then replace existing snipe with 0.8s version of Rapid Fire, something akin Rapid Strikes.

I very much like this idea.
  • Provin915
    Provin915
    ✭✭✭
    I can't say much on snipe in PvP but in PvE it seems the skill is alright but the passives make no sense. One passives give increased damage if you're standing further and Point-Blank increases damage if you're close on the target. I just want to play bow/bow as a Hunter in WoW but I'm mostly forced to play close-range.. Then it's probably better to just play melee and do more DPS in trials etc.