The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Light armor

holden_caulfield
holden_caulfield
✭✭✭
Hi all,
after few weeks of trying, I can say it's almost impossible to pvp in light armor (at least in BG). It takes 1 stun (this game's pvp is based on CC), and in the time you break free they obliterate you.
Am I missing something?
Edited by ZOS_Lunar on December 30, 2020 1:05PM
  • L_Nici
    L_Nici
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No you are not missing much. Same goes for Medium Armor atm, there is almost no chance to get through a stun without dieing. I played Medium armor since the game launched, but with Greymoor I was forced on heavy armor to not get instanuked by a stun+proc. The problem with break free is the lag currently, it just takes to long. And on light armor you have not much Stamina to break free twice, if the server failed to free you but still took your Stamina.
    A very special girl

PC|EU
  • Silaf
    Silaf
    ✭✭✭✭
    Battleground at the moment is a tank only zone. It wasen't like tis since not too much time ago. Quite frankly i can't even play battleground anymore and i was a strong player before.
  • MrBrownstone
    MrBrownstone
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think Sorcerer is the only class you can use light armor with and survive
  • zvavi
    zvavi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Unless u suck like me and then rip
  • holden_caulfield
    holden_caulfield
    ✭✭✭

Time to have a sorc alt then
  • Vevvev
    Vevvev
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I always run light armor and only run into this problem against physical weapons.... and when the server is dying. Get better with stamina management and you can break free when you need to. Also light armor gives you more critical chance and thus better critical heals. In PVP as a magicka character you make up for your squishyness by building a little into health with sets like Clever Alchemist and keep your heals up constantly! You should never stop healing yourself, ever.
    PC NA - Ceyanna Ashton - Breton Vampire MagDK
  • Dracane
    Dracane
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Because light armor is not balanced.
    It has the lowest armor values, but does not make up for it with increased sustain and damage. Medium armor has equal sustain despite having several k more armor, roll dodges and sprint speed and more weapon damage to improve heals. Heavy armor has healing received on top of armor.

Light armor also has worse damage than medium armor. Light armor offers 4,8k penetration as opposed to 18% weapon damage from medium armor, but then there is mauls and maces with 20% penetration on ALL physical attacks, not just weapon attacks. So stamina has access to equal if not way penetration in many scenarios, and a lot more weapon damage. And of course, destruction staves only increase the penetration for weapon abilities that no one wants to use. And good luck going with 2 damage sets in light armor, which is what heavy armor can do thanks to their passive mitigation.

Light armor has no survival strategy as opposed to medium and heavy. Increased spell resistence is useless in the current meta and also too weak in general.
    Edited by Dracane on December 29, 2020 4:05PM
    Auri-El is my lord,
    Trinimac is my shield,
    Magnus is my mind.
  • relentless_turnip
    relentless_turnip
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    None of my characters wear heavy. It's a horrible meta for sure, but it is totally viable imo.

https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Special:EsoBuildData?id=282444 stamplar

https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Special:EsoBuildData?id=296007 stamsorc

https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Special:EsoBuildData?id=300426 stamcro

https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Special:EsoBuildData?id=300549 magdk

https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Special:EsoBuildData?id=295307 stamden

I think most agree health recovery and/or many sources of healing are essential. Daedric is great on the back bar for light. Seventh for stam along with gold food. Briar + pale order is great on a build with multiple damage sources like rapid strike, jabs, deadly cloak, dots etc... I hope it helps.
  • Sergykid
    Sergykid
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    the broken band that's totally out of their set bonus efficiency (like all mythics in general though) and together with procs getting triple buffed, it has made the only way to play viably is to go defensive and let procs do the damage.
    -PC EU- / battlegrounds on my youtube
  • relentless_turnip
    relentless_turnip
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Sergykid wrote: »
    the broken band that's totally out of their set bonus efficiency (like all mythics in general though) and together with procs getting triple buffed, it has made the only way to play viably is to go defensive and let procs do the damage.

I totally agree, but I refuse to play like that. If people want to win by holding block and spamming arctic blast that's up to them 😂
  • Silaf
    Silaf
    ✭✭✭✭

Nope.

Well unless you mean by running away all the time...
  • White wabbit
    White wabbit
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Time to have a sorc alt then

Snipe and your dead
  • GrimTheReaper45
    GrimTheReaper45
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Light and medium really need to be brought on par with heavy
  • Eedat
    Eedat
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Nope. Just flat out nope.
  • Oreyn_Bearclaw
    Oreyn_Bearclaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Eedat wrote: »

Nope as in other classes can pull it off or nope as in a light armor mag sorc cant survive? I assure you, mag sorc can survive in light armor.

Is the brain dead Heavy Armor proc set meta wildly over tuned? Yep, but If any class can wear light, its mag sorc.
  • Dracane
    Dracane
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Nope as in other classes can pull it off or nope as in a light armor mag sorc cant survive? I assure you, mag sorc can survive in light armor.

Is the brain dead Heavy Armor proc set meta wildly over tuned? Yep, but If any class can wear light, its mag sorc.

There is no denying that, just as stamina nightblade was designed to synergize with medium armor, so was sorcerer designed to go well with light armor and very much even be in need of it to maintain themselves.

However, those glory days are long gone. Even Magsorcs in light armor get deleted without mercy. The meta is highly hostile to Magsorc in every conceivable way. I would say Sorcerer can make light armor work. But work does not mean good. Light armor is not good on any spec. Never truly was and especially not now.

I think light armor gets nothing for how fragile it is. They do not get more damage than stamina builds and neither do they get more sustain.
    Edited by Dracane on December 29, 2020 7:11PM
    Auri-El is my lord,
    Trinimac is my shield,
    Magnus is my mind.
  • Eedat
    Eedat
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Magsorc isnt surviving worth a damn in all light. You can say they might survive 'the best', but 'the best' is 1.8 seconds instead of 1.5
  • Joinovikova
    Joinovikova
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hi all,
    after few weeks of trying, I can say it's almost impossible to pvp in light armor (at least in BG). It takes 1 stun (this game's pvp is based on CC), and in the time you break free they obliterate you.
    Am I missing something?
    Light armor was valiable in the past but than they listen crying babies And destroy wards by reduce 20% and incease cost by 20% on tank meta there was solution to use deff sets in combination with light armor they destroy also this option. U can use light armor on sorc And magnb since u have other way how to avoid damage use it on anyother classs is just frustration.
  • Dracane
    Dracane
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi all,
    Am I missing something?
    Light armor was valiable in the past but than they listen crying babies And destroy wards by reduce 20% and incease cost by 20% on tank meta there was solution to use deff sets in combination with light armor they destroy also this option. U can use light armor on sorc And magnb since u have other way how to avoid damage use it on anyother classs is just frustration.

As long as light armor is not given a good to accept making yourself so vulnerable and fragile, I doubt it will see much use.
    It is like you say. Traditionally, usually only nightblades and sorcerer have any chance to make it work. And right now, it just does not work well.
    Auri-El is my lord,
    Trinimac is my shield,
    Magnus is my mind.
  • Faiza
    Faiza
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I pvp in all light armor, but...I am also a sorc so according to everyone that doesn't count 😅

It really does help to have an abundance of shields.

I also dumped a huge amount of CP into reducing the cost of break free so that I I'm not stamina starved while fighting for my life.
  • Jeremy
    Jeremy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi all,
    Am I missing something?

Don't feel bad. Even in heavy armor with 50k health, full impenetrable and 35k resistance I've been obliterated in the span of a single stun while breaking free. The damage bursts are just insane right now and there is very little you can do to defend against it if you get pinned down.
    Edited by Jeremy on December 29, 2020 9:15PM
  • nukk3r
    nukk3r
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Magsorc and magden, I'd say.
    Silaf wrote: »

Nope.

Well unless you mean by running away all the time...

Is that how you play a sorc? You're doing it wrong.
  • Dracane
    Dracane
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jeremy wrote: »
    Hi all,
    Am I missing something?

Don't feel bad. Even in heavy armor with 50k health, full impenetrable and 35k resistance I've been obliterated in the span of a single stun while breaking free. The damage bursts are just insane right now and there is very little you can do to defend against it if you get pinned down.

By several people I assume, right? Not by a single person unless its a ganker.
    Auri-El is my lord,
    Trinimac is my shield,
    Magnus is my mind.
  • holden_caulfield
    holden_caulfield
    ✭✭✭
    Damn, I want to be a full on caster even in pvp, but in light armor my death recap sometimes show skill that do 10k of direct damage.
    Problem is in light few skill bring you in execute range, and from that point is bye bye.
    Or easier yet, one stun, 1 skill, 1 execute. No time for shield, or heal or anything.
    And honestly being autistic and refresh my shield every 6 sec, HOT and what not, doesn't give you much time to do anything else.
    And let's be honest...shield? 5000hp with the same mitigation of the caster (almost none then)....

Pvp is balanced and fair, if you choose to follow every meta. Maybe this is why ZOS thinks there is no problem.

Sorry for my bad english
  • Dracane
    Dracane
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Damn, I want to be a full on caster even in pvp, but in light armor my death recap sometimes show skill that do 10k of direct damage.
    Problem is in light few skill bring you in execute range, and from that point is bye bye.
    Or easier yet, one stun, 1 skill, 1 execute. No time for shield, or heal or anything.
    And honestly being autistic and refresh my shield every 6 sec, HOT and what not, doesn't give you much time to do anything else.
    And let's be honest...shield? 5000hp with the same mitigation of the caster (almost none then)....

Pvp is balanced and fair, if you choose to follow every meta. Maybe this is why ZOS thinks there is no problem.

Sorry for my bad english

True. Light armor forces you into full defense, which it is not built for.
    And once you get to being offensive, you find that your damage is worse than that of stamina builds in medium or even heavy armor sometimes. So why would you bother?

Auri-El is my lord,
    Trinimac is my shield,
    Magnus is my mind.
  • techyeshic
    techyeshic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It was fine after they nerfed some heavy sets that gave more damage in their 5 piece than light and medium. But then they turned up the procs.
  • validifyedneb18_ESO
    validifyedneb18_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I must say it's strange to hear so many people say this, i had no issues only half a year ago in full light.

What matters is low latency, lots of stamina, a couple heal or defensive buffs. Im back to eso in the new year so will have to see if this apparent heavy armor requirement is true or not.
    EU: Magden, Magknight, Stamsorc(*2), Magsorc
    NA: Magplar, Magden, PotatoBlade
  • Dracane
    Dracane
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I must say it's strange to hear so many people say this, i had no issues only half a year ago in full light.

What matters is low latency, lots of stamina, a couple heal or defensive buffs. Im back to eso in the new year so will have to see if this apparent heavy armor requirement is true or not.

You are in for a surprise, then. :)
    Auri-El is my lord,
    Trinimac is my shield,
    Magnus is my mind.
  • Joinovikova
    Joinovikova
    ✭✭✭✭
    Dracane wrote: »
    Hi all,
    Am I missing something?

As long as light armor is not given a good to accept making yourself so vulnerable and fragile, I doubt it will see much use.
    It is like you say. Traditionally, usually only nightblades and sorcerer have any chance to make it work. And right now, it just does not work well.

agree.. light armor need some buff I personaly hope for bost wards now they are super weak and super costly ..
  • Dracane
    Dracane
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dracane wrote: »
    Hi all,
    Am I missing something?

agree.. light armor need some buff I personaly hope for bost wards now they are super weak and super costly ..

Spell Warding needs to boost wards, since this is kind of the premise with light armor since its active ability is a ward.
    Evocation should grant 3% magicka recovery instead of 2% to justify the greatly reduced armor value compared to medium.
    Concentration as well needs a boost. Either by increasing the penetration or granting some base damage too.

Stamina builds, in many scenarios, get more penetration from having a maul than light armor does. It is not rare to get 6k penetration from mauls in the current meta.
    Auri-El is my lord,
    Trinimac is my shield,
    Magnus is my mind.