The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Style materials not dropping from deconstructing items from DLC-zones

pleximus
pleximus
✭✭✭✭✭
This has been bothering me immensely for a long time. Getting 1 style item or none at all when deconstructing dlc-sets out of every 10 items is infuriating! Regarding the Reach dlc, I haven't received A SINGLE ONE despite deconstructing dozens and dozens of them. No exaggeration or lie - I haven't received a single one! This isn't RNG, this is gaming torture!

ZOS, mind be time for an adjustment?
  • Taleof2Cities
    Taleof2Cities
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    By the Eight Divines, what do you need style materials for, @pleximus?

There's no use for them outside of a few housing furnishings.

For crafted gear, you can use a basic racial style material (e.g. High Elf) ... and then change to a known style using the Outfit Overlay.

Mimic Stones from the daily rewards can also be used to craft in any known style (or for decon to get the style material for housing).

Mimic Stones can also be used for equipment master writs.

Edited by Taleof2Cities on December 29, 2020 10:30PM
  • redspecter23
    redspecter23
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Any gear piece made from a style that exists in the game to craft will drop style mats (potentially) when deconstructed. If you're not getting any, it's either bad RNG or you specifically (and nobody else) is bugged. Submit a ticket. I'm sure they will fix this issue ASAP.
  • Faiza
    Faiza
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    pleximus wrote: »
    This has been bothering me immensely for a long time. Getting 1 style item or none at all when deconstructing dlc-sets out of every 10 items is infuriating! Regarding the Reach dlc, I haven't received A SINGLE ONE despite deconstructing dozens and dozens of them. No exaggeration or lie - I haven't received a single one! This isn't RNG, this is gaming torture!

ZOS, mind be time for an adjustment?

You should definitely have more than none, but Arkthzand sprockets aren't super abundant if you're only doing the dailies for 1-2 pieces of gear. Most players who are actively seeking them are farming the world bosses and delves.
  • Faiza
    Faiza
    ✭✭✭✭✭

For crafted gear, you can use a basic racial style material (e.g. High Elf) ... and then change to a known style using the Outfit Overlay.

Mimic Stones from the daily rewards can also be used to craft in any known style (or for decon to get the style material for housing).

Housing is a big deal :D
  • Skullstachio
    Skullstachio
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dragonbone Style material would like to chime in, namely because it is one of the few style materials used in a Legendary recipe for Pack-Leader’s Bone Broth.

In earnest opinion, the drop rate for style materials from deconstructing gear from their respective areas, particularly from DLC areas needs to be tuned better so it is more likely to drop.
    I know what you di-Iddly did... (you would be wise not to do that again during a time when Suspicion in the gaming space is at an all time high.)
    by not actually revealing real drop tables in the game for all items, you only prove what has been proven with proof of concept that you can/will manipulate item drop chances based on certain elements performed by the player.
  • tomofhyrule
    tomofhyrule
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    pleximus wrote: »

Reach gear isn't in game yet, outside of the "Radiant Bastion" set. If you're looking for style items for the others, those have a drop rate of 0%. They don't exist yet.

The Wayward Guardian and Nighthollow styles and their associated style items will not drop until their respective style items are added in game. They'll likely be added in with the next update, and I'd guess the motifs will start dropping around March/April when they're released in the store. At present, the only vestiges of those two styles are the Witch-Knight and Voidcaller sets which drop currently.

The style items do add with an update before the motifs drop though, so you can already decon Thorn Legion or Hazardous Alchemy stuff from the Stonethorn dungeons for their style mats even though the motifs are not dropping yet.
    Edited by tomofhyrule on December 29, 2020 10:57PM
  • Taleof2Cities
    Taleof2Cities
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Faiza wrote: »

Housing is a big deal :D

Agree, @Faiza, but if a player has a niche playstyle that consumes a lot of style materials for housing ... it's probably better to look into additional sources beyond what they pick up in dungeons (such as buying them in the guild stores).

Asking for a handout (to cater to a niche playstyle) isn't something ZOS would likely accommodate.

Edited by Taleof2Cities on December 29, 2020 10:53PM