The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Where's this "Hooded Figure" got to?

Ilkuul
Ilkuul
Hey all, for some time now I've had this Main Quest on my screen, "Soul Shriven in Coldharbour". Today I finally decided to do it. But I couldn’t even start: couldn’t find the "Hooded Figure" anywhere! I can't remember now where I first picked up the quest; but it wasn't in Vvardenfell (where I'm based). Wherever I go I have the icon for it on my compass, apparently to lead me to the Hooded Figure. But in Vivec City I tried to follow it, and it led me to a boat where there was no hooded figure, but a constantly-repeated invitation, "Travel to Mournhold". So I went to Mournhold. No sign of a hooded figure there, either! Following the compass icon just led me to all sorts of random places and apparently the hooded figure was always just a bit further ahead, always just out of reach!

So how do I track this guy down?

Best Answers

• Puzzlenuts
    Puzzlenuts
    ✭✭✭
    If you are a DC toon you find him in Daggerfall. I'm not positive but for AD i believe you would find in Vunkel Guard and EP Davons Watch
    Answer ✓
  • Ellimist_Entreri
    Ellimist_Entreri
    ✭✭✭
    You should be able to open your journal and from there with the quest set as actively tracked press the hotkey assigned to open the map and it will show you the location of the quest target on the map (including which zone if you select the locations tab and look to see which is highlighted), which as stated will vary depending on your alliance!
    Answer ✓
  • Ilkuul
    Ilkuul
    Thanks, both! Being AD, I found the location in Vulkhel Guard.
    You should be able to open your journal and from there with the quest set as actively tracked press the hotkey assigned to open the map and it will show you the location of the quest target on the map (including which zone if you select the locations tab and look to see which is highlighted), which as stated will vary depending on your alliance!
    Thanks, I hadn't discovered this little trick. Very useful!
  • Araneae6537
    Araneae6537
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ilkuul wrote: »
    Hey all, for some time now I've had this Main Quest on my screen, "Soul Shriven in Coldharbour". Today I finally decided to do it. But I couldn’t even start: couldn’t find the "Hooded Figure" anywhere! I can't remember now where I first picked up the quest; but it wasn't in Vvardenfell (where I'm based). Wherever I go I have the icon for it on my compass, apparently to lead me to the Hooded Figure. But in Vivec City I tried to follow it, and it led me to a boat where there was no hooded figure, but a constantly-repeated invitation, "Travel to Mournhold". So I went to Mournhold. No sign of a hooded figure there, either! Following the compass icon just led me to all sorts of random places and apparently the hooded figure was always just a bit further ahead, always just out of reach!

So how do I track this guy down?

I agree that the indications for a quest’s location sometimes do not make any sense and don’t show you where you actually need to go. It seems there should be separate “Show on Map” and “How do I get there?” options. I found this especially confusing when I started the game and ended up porting to guild members a lot to get places.
  • Ilkuul
    Ilkuul
    I agree that the indications for a quest’s location sometimes do not make any sense and don’t show you where you actually need to go. It seems there should be separate “Show on Map” and “How do I get there?” options. I found this especially confusing when I started the game and ended up porting to guild members a lot to get places.

Thanks, yes, I'd second that. I came to ESO from LOTRO, and there the how and where of quests were always made very clear. So being left to wander around without direction right at the start of a quest came as quite a shock to the system! Once you know the trick Ellimist_Entreri described it becomes a lot easier—but I think it would still be better to have that kind of info made clear in the quest description.