The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

MagSorc Offensive Stats: Which is preferable?

ArchMikem
ArchMikem
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭✭
I play my MagSorc as a single target non-Pet build, and using Bright Throats, a Max Mag 1pc monster set, the Mage and all Arcane jewels I had gotten my Max Magic to 50k but with relatively low Spell Damage at I think 2.3k (with Crit Surge). Opposed to that, I wanted to go back to using Zaans for PvP purposes, but that dropped me to 49k Magic, and no matter WHAT I tried, whether it was changing my gear setup to a 5-1-1 for the Undaunted passive, making every large Infused piece Legendary etc to eek out as much Magic as I could I ended up with 49.8k. There was nothing else I could do to my build to get that last 200 magic while wearing Zaans. So I had to accept that my build using Zaans was going to sacrifice my Mega Magic pool for more Spell Damage. Switch Mundus to the Apprentice, transmuted all Jewels to Infused with Dmg glyphs. This ended up sacrificing 8,000 Max Magic for a new Spell Damage value of 3,380 w/Crit Surge. Also have my Spell Crit chance to a flat 60% so I can make use of Khajiit crit dmg passive and Channeled Acceleration.

So I need to ask, which setup actually performs better in general? 50k Max Mag with 2.3k Spell Dmg, or 42k Max Mag with 3.4k Spell Dmg?
CP1,900+ Master Explorer - AvA One Star General - Console Peasant - The Clan
Quest Objective: OMG Go Talk To That Kitty!
  • Volckodav
    Volckodav
    ✭✭✭
    It's really down to what type of PvP u do, also CP/no CP, do I prefer high burstvor u need to Kyte a lot (1vx). Also based on my testing I feel that high Magicka pool suit better a pet build
  • Dracane
    Dracane
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Spell damage is much more efficient when it comes to damage. Especially in no CP where you lose 20% from CP to all magicka sources.

Sadly, sorcerer is very much forced to run magicka due to our shield based pidgeonhole. Usually, I deem magicka the balanced middle ground. You get a bit of damage, some survivability and some sustain. Spell damage is pure damage for us. We are, sadly, no medium armor stamina builds with plenty of % weapon damage, more weapon damage just from holding a melee weapon and good weapon damage sets.

Most stat sets for spell damage are either trash or have foolish conditions or cooldowns. So building for magicka with Alfiq and bright throats results in the terrible damage sorcerer is known for, but it is much more comfortable and easy to use.

I usually ask myself this when exchanging magicka for spell damage or resistence: Without bastion, roughly 21% of the magicka you have is added to your hardened ward. Is 21% of the magicka you lose a severe hit to your shield? Maybe do not do it. You already are the squishiest class in the game. Wards, after all the nerfs, already are severely crippled and you need all you can get.

So the 8k you lose would result in roughly 1700 less shield just on 1 shield. Even more when you have 2 or more.
    I would normally have 53k in no cp, but push myself down to 47k to have a lot more damage with spinners instead. A conversion I deem worthwile.

Auri-El is my lord,
    Trinimac is my shield,
    Magnus is my mind.
  • Brrrofski
    Brrrofski
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I rub like 49k max magica, 1.7k spell damage and I smash people. I run crafty, swift, engine guardian.

You don't even need much damage on a sorc really. Just all about burst timing.
  • Dracane
    Dracane
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Brrrofski wrote: »
    I rub like 49k max magica, 1.7k spell damage and I smash people. I run crafty, swift, engine guardian.

You don't even need much damage on a sorc really. Just all about burst timing.

Unless they run meta builds with high health or when they possess hard counter abilities against the sorcerer playstyle. Which is most of them.

Of course, against average, clueless opponents, everything works.
    Auri-El is my lord,
    Trinimac is my shield,
    Magnus is my mind.
  • PhoenixGrey
    PhoenixGrey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Imagine actually thinking mag sorc is a pvp class in 40k health meta
  • Joinovikova
    Joinovikova
    ✭✭✭✭

but some people find way how to make 40k healt sorc with 25k heavy attack I still do not knwo how they did but it is most broken build in ESO u cant dodge roll cant block lighting staff heavy attack and even to 30k resust buidl they were able to hit 15-20K per hit

anyone know how ?
  • Dracane
    Dracane
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

but some people find way how to make 40k healt sorc with 25k heavy attack I still do not knwo how they did but it is most broken build in ESO u cant dodge roll cant block lighting staff heavy attack and even to 30k resust buidl they were able to hit 15-20K per hit

anyone know how ?

Now this is something I have read on the forum once or twice already, yet never once encountered for myself. Is it not a thing in no CP?

15-20k per hit sounds more than scary. I know that when I used a heavy attack build long ago, it maybe did 15k in total with the entire beam against squishy off balance targets, not per tick.

Also, their backbone usually is blockade of storms, which should be quite easy to sidestep. Interesing nontheless. I would like to hear more.
    Auri-El is my lord,
    Trinimac is my shield,
    Magnus is my mind.
  • jaws343
    jaws343
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dracane wrote: »

anyone know how ?

Now this is something I have read on the forum once or twice already, yet never once encountered for myself. Is it not a thing in no CP?

15-20k per hit sounds more than scary. I know that when I used a heavy attack build long ago, it maybe did 15k in total with the entire beam against squishy off balance targets, not per tick.

Also, their backbone usually is blockade of storms, which should be quite easy to sidestep. Interesing nontheless. I would like to hear more.

Ran into a sorc the other night who used streak to stun, into wall of elements, followed by a lightning heavy. The heavy did 14k damage and WoE is a large enough aoe that you can't escape it reasonably before the heavy attack ends. They were pretty much killing at will.
  • Dracane
    Dracane
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    jaws343 wrote: »

anyone know how ?

Ran into a sorc the other night who used streak to stun, into wall of elements, followed by a lightning heavy. The heavy did 14k damage and WoE is a large enough aoe that you can't escape it reasonably before the heavy attack ends. They were pretty much killing at will.

14k in total or per tick?
    Auri-El is my lord,
    Trinimac is my shield,
    Magnus is my mind.
  • zvavi
    zvavi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

anyone know how ?

Aren't lightning heavies purgable and blockable? You could even stun him.
  • Zodiarkslayer
    Zodiarkslayer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    zvavi wrote: »

anyone know how ?

They are. Since it is considered a channelled attack you can interrupt and block anyways. Question is how fast you are when the attacker is 10 to 15 metres away. Then you would need a ranged interrupt like birds on a warden for example.
    read, think and write.In that order.
  • Bergzorn
    Bergzorn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    zvavi wrote: »

anyone know how ?

Since it is considered a channelled attack you can interrupt[...] anyways.

Uhm, no?
    no CP PvP PC/EU

EP Zergborn
    DC Zerg Beacon

guild master, raid leader, janitor, and only member of Zergbored
  • oscarovegren
    oscarovegren
    ✭✭✭
    55k or 45k magicka wont make or break a magsorc PvP build

1k spell damage = 10500 magicka

BTB + BSW front (procs from LA or crushing shock) could give you both high mag and spell damage
  • ArchMikem
    ArchMikem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    55k or 45k magicka wont make or break a magsorc PvP build

1k spell damage = 10500 magicka

BTB + BSW front (procs from LA or crushing shock) could give you both high mag and spell damage

So then my 8k magic loss was actually not in vain since I gained just over 1k spell dmg in the trade off.
    CP1,900+ Master Explorer - AvA One Star General - Console Peasant - The Clan
    Quest Objective: OMG Go Talk To That Kitty!
  • Waffennacht
    Waffennacht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    4950.5+2300 = 7250.5

4158.4+3400 = 7558.4

So outta your two original choices; the second is actually far better.
    Gamer tag: DasPanzerKat NA Xbox One
    1300+ CP
    Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds
  • ealdwin
    ealdwin
    ✭✭✭✭✭

anyone know how ?

Those are the sort of builds that I love. Not to play around with, but to hear about. I enjoy seeing a good unique, inventive build that makes use of elements and abilities that might not be the default go to.