The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Data Mining

Earthewen
Earthewen
✭✭✭✭✭
The rumor I'm hearing is that we are being data mined in Cyro during prime time which might be the source of extra lag and disconnects. If this is true, it needs to stop. The server clearly cannot handle the information load.

if it isn't true, the server clearly cannot handle normal load so data mining should be out of the question. :wink:
  • Mr_Nobody
    Mr_Nobody
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    why would they even data mine during prime time? its not like you cant get the data at any other time.

Lol. They just cant handle anything.
    ~ @Niekas ~

• WuffyCerulei
    WuffyCerulei
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Data mining shouldn't affect your gameplay at all. Data mining's done through looking at code and game files rather than the server itself. I may be a little incorrect, as I got the info off this article: https://www.bbc.co.uk/newsround/52456575
    However, I have never heard of data mining affecting ESO itself. What a dumb rumor.
    For the love of Kyne, buff sorc. PC NACP 2100+Star-Sïnger - Khajiit Magicka Sorc - EP Grand Overlord - Flawless Conqueror vMA/vBRP/vDSA no death/vHel Ra HM/vAA HM/vSO HM/vMoL HM/vHoF HM/vAS +2/vCR+3/vSS HMs/vKA HMs/vVH/vRG Oax HM/vDSR
  • manny254
    manny254
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Earthewen wrote: »
    The rumor I'm hearing is that we are being data mined in Cyro during prime time which might be the source of extra lag and disconnects. If this is true, it needs to stop. The server clearly cannot handle the information load.

if it isn't true, the server clearly cannot handle normal load so data mining should be out of the question. :wink:

Its clear you have no idea what data mining actually is.
    - Mojican
  • Grimlok_S
    Grimlok_S
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Those damn miners are tunneling right under Cyrodiil! Leaving holes in my lawn!
    Light Attack Hero

Class context
    Stamplar
    StamDK
    Stamsorc
    MagDK
    StamMAGStamden
    Magplar
    Stam NB
    Bomb NB
  • Soul_Demon
    Soul_Demon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not sure if its being done but it would not be the first time.
    "MMORPG Player Classification Using Game Data Mining and K-means"

"Analyzing and understanding the standard of players in virtual
    environments has been an activity increasingly used by digital game developers
    and producers. Players not only play, they also consume in-game products, buy
    game sequences and expansions, make small money transactions, advertise the
    game to friends, and use the game to socialize with other players. In the case of
    Massive Multiplayer Online Role-Playing Games (“MMORPG”), the types of
    players vary, and, by classifying players’ behaviors, it is possible for developers
    to implement changes which satisfy players in targeted manners which may
    impact their level of interest and amount of time spent in the game environment.
    This study suggests that it is possible to identify and classify players via
    gameplay analysis by using consolidated theories such as Bartle's archetypes or
    Marczewski’s types of players, which group players with the k-means algorithm.
    Analysis of telemetry data can be executed by utilizing game data mining tools
    and the results can be used to classify players who play certain games, their behaviors
    in the game, and their gameplay patterns. Having possession of this information allows
    producers to initiate new developments of games, expansions to the current game, and
    marketing actions to attract new players, among other possibilities. Data are created from
    the moment one initiates a virtual game session until the moment it is turned off, and this
    data are available for developers and producers to analyze their players. Data created and
    collected by the developers are known as game telemetry

Telemetry is a remote form of data collection where a game-player interaction data
    collection application is installed in the desired game and sends data digitally to a
    database that stores all information
    in an accessible way so that an analysis of said data
    may be performed. These data can be of any nature that the game allows and may
    contain information on the player's behavior within the game, transactions made, and
    conversations amoungst multiple characters [5]."
  • Joy_Division
    Joy_Division
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It would not surprise me that ZOS would use data mining as a means of trying to figure out what goes on in cyrodiil as opposed to communicating with the players who show up regularly.
  • NeillMcAttack
    NeillMcAttack
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It would not surprise me that ZOS would use data mining as a means of trying to figure out what goes on in cyrodiil as opposed to communicating with the players who show up regularly.

Agreed, I’d happily stream everything for them to view and make deductions, having spent literal years there I would also, and quite happily, give insight and my understanding of the game and it’s players.

If we are trusting ZOS to make their own deductions to figure out a way to fix cyro, we may be in for a rough ride.
    PC EU - NoCP PvP, is real PvP
    Tiidehunter Nord StamDK EP PvP Main
    Legion Commander Tresdin Stamplar DC PvE Main
    Sephirith Altmer MagPlar EP Gondar the Bounty Hunter Khajiit StamBlade DC
    The Dirge Redguard StamNecro EP Disruptor Stormcrafter Nord StamSorc AD
    Lone Druid Bosmer Stam Warden EP Necro-Phos Argonian MagBlade AD
    @ McAttack in game
    Played since beta, and then on console at release, until the game became unplayable on console.
  • hafgood
    hafgood
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you want to know what is causing the problems you have to analyse the data from peak periods. So telling them to stop won't solve the issues, it just means they won't be able to do the analysis necessary to try to get to the bottom of them.
  • Recremen
    Recremen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Data mining shouldn't affect your gameplay at all. Data mining's done through looking at code and game files rather than the server itself. I may be a little incorrect, as I got the info off this article: https://www.bbc.co.uk/newsround/52456575
    However, I have never heard of data mining affecting ESO itself. What a dumb rumor.

It sounds like a misuse of terms, is all. It wouldn't surprise me if they were doing some highly-detailed data collection on live, such as character location, a log of of skill use, etc., to try and get info that would help them make changes that better fight the lag. I don't know if that would cause a large increase in lag by itself, though, as I've never worked with that sort of system. It certainly stands to reason that it would be a strain on the server if the data collection is done through code, but I could imagine there being some kind of hardware solution that would avoid that. Since ZOS never talks about their system specs, I really doubt we'll ever find out.
    Men'Do PC NA AD Khajiit
    Grand High Illustrious Mid-Tier PvP/PvE Bussmunster
  • Izanagi.Xiiib16_ESO
    Izanagi.Xiiib16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    @Recremen the game currently logs everything. Skills used. Player positioning damage/healing etc. This was implemented over 1y ago and players have access to this too by typing /encounterlog and then again after combat. It even records the gear and skill bars of everyone you are in group with. It seems excessive for pvp (it's useful for sure but still).
    @Solar_Breeze
    NA ~ Izanerys: Dracarys (Videos | Dracast Podcast)
    EU ~ Izanagi: Roleplay Circle (AOE Rats/ Zerg Squad / Banana Squad)
  • Recremen
    Recremen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Recremen the game currently logs everything. Skills used. Player positioning damage/healing etc. This was implemented over 1y ago and players have access to this too by typing /encounterlog and then again after combat. It even records the gear and skill bars of everyone you are in group with. It seems excessive for pvp (it's useful for sure but still).

Oh ha ha yeah, I forgot about this even though we're using it in trials. I am a vicious duncemunster. Based on those access details, though, it sounds like it is still server-side, so my question goes back to "is this implemented via software or fancy hardware tech?"
    Men'Do PC NA AD Khajiit
    Grand High Illustrious Mid-Tier PvP/PvE Bussmunster