The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [IN PROGRESS] PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Players need to be able to drop the relic

Jeremy
Jeremy
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭✭
The Battleground Capture the Relic is annoying enough with the fact you can simply use immovable pots to capture the relic. So any kind of defense is quite impossible outside of the old adage the best defense is a good offense, which is certainly the case here.

But something even more annoying is happening. Apparently players love Death Match so much (don't ask me why) they are purposely not bothering to actually score with the relic. They just grab the relic then hold it while their team farms other players. This is incredibly frustrating for players who are actually trying to score with the relic, because their base is usually empty and holding the relic makes them especially vulnerable to attack (they can't use stealth, mist form etc.) So players need to have the option to just drop the stupid relic when they want. That way when opposing players want to hold the relic they don't have to worry about being thrown into what is essentially a death match game with a handicap on their abilities. Because I'm not putting up with it anymore. I rather just leave and eat the penalty instead of keep opening myself up for slaughter because I'm foolishly trying to follow the objective and score a point.
Edited by Jeremy on December 19, 2020 8:20PM
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It is a team event. Not solo. As such, there is no need for the runner to drop the relic. The team protects the runner.
  • Jeremy
    Jeremy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    idk wrote: »
    It is a team event. Not solo. As such, there is no need for the runner to drop the relic. The team protects the runner.

There is a need, because players are not playing the battleground like a "team event" or bothering to protect the runner. What they are doing is treating it like a death match game and just holding the relic while they run around farming players.

So anyone who actually attempts to score with the relic is just going to become a lamb to the slaughter. Players ought to be able to simply drop the relic that way they can actually defend themselves and use all their abilities while everyone else pretends they are in death match. In the event teams are actually playing the game as intended and attempting to score points with the relic, then they can hold on to it. But the option to drop the relic needs to be there. Otherwise players (like me) are going to say _____ this and just stop committing suicide and leave. That or just ignore the relic entirely and start pretending they are in a death match game like everyone else. Which I already see people starting to do.... and frankly I can't blame them.
    Edited by Jeremy on December 19, 2020 8:51PM
  • Qbiken
    Qbiken
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @idk
    He´s referring to the bug abuse alot of players currently use where you can´t get interrupted (while picking up the relic) if you get cc immunity from an immovable potion. It´s clearly a bug since no other source of cc immunity makes you immune to interrupt when picking up the relic (or resurrecting a player). Every Capture the Relic I play I see at least one player abusing this bug, and it´s very obvious that they know about the bug since it´s done multiple times throughout the battleground.

@ZOS_GinaBruno When can we expect a fix for this bug? It´s been in the game for 6-8 months now. You fixed the bug abuse where people could achieve the same thing by using Immovable (skill from the heavy armor skilline) a few months ago, but this bug with immovable potions still exists.
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Qbiken wrote: »
    @idk
    He´s referring to the bug abuse alot of players currently use where you can´t get interrupted (while picking up the relic) if you get cc immunity from an immovable potion. It´s clearly a bug since no other source of cc immunity makes you immune to interrupt when picking up the relic (or resurrecting a player). Every Capture the Relic I play I see at least one player abusing this bug, and it´s very obvious that they know about the bug since it´s done multiple times throughout the battleground.

@ZOS_GinaBruno When can we expect a fix for this bug? It´s been in the game for 6-8 months now. You fixed the bug abuse where people could achieve the same thing by using Immovable (skill from the heavy armor skilline) a few months ago, but this bug with immovable potions still exists.

Even when looking over the OP again I did not pick up on that as I did not see any mention of a bug or CC immunity but commenting about people seemingly attacking the player carrying a relic.
  • Jeremy
    Jeremy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @idk

Even when looking over the OP again I did not pick up on that as I did not see any mention of a bug or CC immunity but commenting about people seemingly attacking the player carrying a relic.

It's at the very beginning of my post, idk, when I talk about players using immovable pots to capture the relic.
    Edited by Jeremy on December 20, 2020 5:03AM
  • Waffennacht
    Waffennacht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kill the guy/team thats holding the relic and not scoring?
    Then score?

I dunno, sounds more like youre2on a team that cant kill the team that's not scoring - hence the lack of progressing through the match BUT if you cant kill that team even when they dont score, I doubt you'd win anyway
    Gamer tag: DasPanzerKat NA Xbox One
    1300+ CP
    Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds
  • ImSoPro
    ImSoPro
    ✭✭✭
    We treat it like a deathmatch because they took our ability to only play death matches away. Take it up with ZOS. I will say one thing though I think I actually like crazy king more than deathmatch now because you can run your kill count up to ridiculous levels. Same with chaosball.
  • Dakkx
    Dakkx
    ✭✭✭
    Make all queues deathmatch! Waiting 10-15 min for an objective game where the people who can’t pvp sweat the objective and end the match in 2 minutes is super lame.

Last night there were only 3 teams queuing up on Xbox NA and we were waiting 10-15 min every time to get into a match and the one team whose players weren’t particularly good would sweat the objective while the rest of us were in conflict. Once the rest of us started focusing them they left the match and quit queuing. Sounds like a lot of fun right?
    Edited by Dakkx on December 20, 2020 3:43PM
  • hafgood
    hafgood
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't see the point of being able to drop the reluc, can't see how that would benefit you.

The fact that a group of players is holding a relic to farm other players suggests they wouldn't want to drop it even if they could.

A better solution would be that you have to place the relic within 30 seconds of grabbing it or it respawns back where it came from
  • Dakkx
    Dakkx
    ✭✭✭
    hafgood wrote: »
    I don't see the point of being able to drop the reluc, can't see how that would benefit you.

The fact that a group of players is holding a relic to farm other players suggests they wouldn't want to drop it even if they could.

A better solution would be that you have to place the relic within 30 seconds of grabbing it or it respawns back where it came from

They have it so the longer you hold it the less effective your survival skills are.
  • Jeremy
    Jeremy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kill the guy/team thats holding the relic and not scoring?
    Then score?

I dunno, sounds more like youre2on a team that cant kill the team that's not scoring - hence the lack of progressing through the match BUT if you cant kill that team even when they dont score, I doubt you'd win anyway

Oh I could care less about winning at that point. I just don't want the relic. lol...

And it's kind of hard to score when the other team is holding your team's relic and treating it like a Death Match game. So your solution of "then score?" is way easier said than done. I guess I'm suppose to go feed myself to them in some futile attempt to kill them all on a character who can barely defend himself? Yeah... no thanks. I think I'll take a hard pass on that idea. I'll look for a high place to suicide off of before I resort to that. Which come to think of it is exactly what I'm going to start doing. haha
    Edited by Jeremy on December 20, 2020 6:39PM
  • Jeremy
    Jeremy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ImSoPro wrote: »
    We treat it like a deathmatch because they took our ability to only play death matches away. Take it up with ZOS. I will say one thing though I think I actually like crazy king more than deathmatch now because you can run your kill count up to ridiculous levels. Same with chaosball.

I am taking it up with ZoS. Why do you think I made this thread?

And If you want to treat capture the relic like Death Match, fine, what ever.

But just give me the ability to drop the stupid relic so I don't have to run around half-cocked and get slaughtered by you guys because I foolishly went after the objective.
    Edited by Jeremy on December 20, 2020 6:20PM
  • Jeremy
    Jeremy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    hafgood wrote: »

The team that is holding the relic and farming players wouldn't want to drop it. That is why I said they are holding it. It's the other players who are actually trying to score with the relic who should be able to drop it.

Your solution would be an improvement. But I don't know why you and others think dropping the relic is such a bad idea. You already drop the relic when you die. So how about this: give me the option to just suicide my character to drop the relic when I want? Would that be good enough for you? Because even that is preferable to me having to go submit myself to getting farmed on a handicapped character.
    Edited by Jeremy on December 20, 2020 6:37PM
  • Waffennacht
    Waffennacht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why are you in BGs with a handicapped character?

Why oh why would you do that at all?

I level characters through BGs occasionally; but when I do I expect to be at the mercy of actually prepared BGers.

If you're getting farmed at all, it sounds like a "you" issue tbf
    Gamer tag: DasPanzerKat NA Xbox One
    1300+ CP
    Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds
  • Jeremy
    Jeremy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why are you in BGs with a handicapped character?

Why oh why would you do that at all?

I level characters through BGs occasionally; but when I do I expect to be at the mercy of actually prepared BGers.

If you're getting farmed at all, it sounds like a "you" issue tbf

I explained this in my OP.

Picking up the relic handicaps your character. It prevents you from using stealth, mist form... etc. This isn't a me issue. Any player who picks up the relic is going to be handicapped, including yourself. How detrimental those handicaps are will depend on the build of course. Players who make use of those abilities will be more effected.

And everyone in the battleground was being farmed by them. It wasn't just me. That was the point. They are treating the battleground like a Deathmatch and focusing in on killing players and could care less about trying to score. If you and others want to play it like that, fine. But just give me the option to drop the stupid relic so I can give it a fair fight and actually play it like a Deathmatch too.
    Edited by Jeremy on December 20, 2020 7:44PM
  • Goregrinder
    Goregrinder
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    @idk

Wait @ZOS_GinaBruno fixed it? Like personally herself? She's a programmer in addition to a community manager?
  • RedTalon
    RedTalon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can think of other reasons eventually a running can no longer be healed, so being able to pass it or drop it would be fun.
  • Nick_Balza
    Nick_Balza
    ✭✭✭
    There are two sides of the coin.
    On the one hand OP is definitely right about DM kiddies, who just spoiling game experience for other players who want to do objectives and there is no possibility to do something with 810 premade group.

But on the other hand, the problem is not in immovability pots. Because they are able to keep game going, when defending team is going to guard only and not about doing anything else.

So, I think, as a community, we can try out the following things:
    - Play Solo (that will keep us away from organized dm kids), but impossible, if you want to play with friends.
    - Report players of that team for spoiling game experience. That's a real reporting reason.
    - Send a message to third team which is trying to do objectives for cooperation and make 8 vs 4 pressure. Slaughter them, take back relic and start game over.
    GM of small social/casual guild Bar Indoril Nalivayka
    PC - EU. @NickBalza
    Nick Balza - Magicka Nightblade
    John Skellan - Stamina Nightblade (Vampire/Crafter/Bowtard)
    Roland Maybelline - Stamina Templar
    Willow The Firestarter - Magicka DK
    Alexander Veidt - Stamina Necromancer
    Chris Maxwell - Magicka Necromancer (Healer)
    Genevieve Diedonne - Stamina Sorc
    The Beckett - Stamina DK/Werewolf
    Mira Giovanni - Magicka Nightblade (Healer\Tank)