The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Annulment/Harness Magicka sound effect hurts -- help?

Lashon_Tov
Lashon_Tov
Soul Shriven
There's a specific high pitched sound effect when Harness Magicka expires. It's the same sound someone else was having problems with back in 2014 in this thread and I'm guessing that if it's still the same this many years later, it doesn't affect many people and it's unlikely ZOS is going to bother changing it. But for me, it's extremely painful to experience; I stopped playing magicka characters because of it, so I'm ok when it's just me out in the wilderness, but if I do anything around other people it's a pretty popular skill so at any moment I might have brief but excruciating pain.

Right now, my options are:
1. Deal with it (not working so well, which is why I am looking for help)
2. Turn all sound effects off (I don't like doing this because the other 99.999% of the game sounds are great and enjoyable)
3. Stop playing (which I am seriously considering -- I love ESO...)
4. ???

Are there any other options people can help me find? I have looked for addons to silence a specific game sound, for example, but come up with nothing. An addon that turns off combat sound effects for everyone but the player's would be great too. But I suspect that I can't find addons like these because they're not possible with the game's API. I also suspect actually modifying the game's sounds is against the TOS, even if I could figure out how to do it. I'm here in case there's something I can actually do about this, other than disable game sounds or stop playing.

Thanks in advance to anyone who reads this and doesn't think "Well that sound doesn't bother ME, so what's the big deal?"
  • Scardan
    Scardan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wait, can other people also hear it?

Your 4th option is - use other skills, use other classes. Magsorc has damage shield in his class abilities, necros have summoners armor (not a shield, but still helpfull).
    Let's be extremely precise in our use of terms.
  • SpiritofESO
    SpiritofESO
    ✭✭✭
    You are seriously considering quitting ESO because you find ONE sound annoying???

But you like 99.999% of the other sounds. Errr, seriously, are you hearing yourself???

~~~

Okay, now some positive feedback -- try "desensitization," a technique where you expose yourself to an irritant repeatedly while consciously inserting a "pleasantly positive" thought each time you experience the annoying thing.

Yes, it works, it takes time, but it works.

:smiley:
    • ~ PS NA ~ ALDMERI DOMINION ~
    • IVY GOLDBLADE, WOOD ELF NIGHTBLADE, Former Empress
    • IVY GOLDBLAZE, HIGH ELF TEMPLAR
    • "Adapt or Die"
  • Lashon_Tov
    Lashon_Tov
    Soul Shriven
    Scardan wrote: »
    Wait, can other people also hear it?

Your 4th option is - use other skills, use other classes. Magsorc has damage shield in his class abilities, necros have summoners armor (not a shield, but still helpfull).

I can still hear other people's sound effects. I already don't play any character that uses this skill.
    You are seriously considering quitting ESO because you find ONE sound annoying???

But you like 99.999% of the other sounds. Errr, seriously, are you hearing yourself???

~~~

Okay, now some positive feedback -- try "desensitization," a technique where you expose yourself to an irritant repeatedly while consciously inserting a "pleasantly positive" thought each time you experience the annoying thing.

Yes, it works, it takes time, but it works.

:smiley:

It's not "annoying" -- it's painful. Would you like to try desensitizing yourself to unexpectedly stepping on LEGOs? Just think happy thoughts when it happens.
  • Recent
    Recent
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I empathise with you. There are people that are sensitive to some sounds.

I suggest youtry this addon : FCO ultimate sounds

I believe it changes the sound of the skill...try it

Happy new year @Lashon_Tov
  • Fennwitty
    Fennwitty
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Outside of the game or addons, some soundcards/headphones/software support advanced settings which can normalize frequencies or eliminate certain ranges.

Not an expert though.
    PC NA