The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 6:00PM EDT (22:00 UTC)

Survey Maps

Snoopies
Snoopies
Quick question if I have a low level crafter toon with maxed out crafting skills and a level 50 main toon with very few crafting skills which one is it best to do survey maps on to maximize resources gained.

Thanks for any help received
  • tmbrinks
    tmbrinks
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The materials you get from collecting surveys will be 50% at the level of the character and 50% at their crafting skill in that profession.

The "number" of crafting materials you get will be the same regardless, so you can make the decision on what type of materials you want to pick up.
    Tenacious Dreamer - Hurricane Herald - Godslayer - Dawnbringer - Gryphon Heart - Tick Tock Tormenter - Immortal Redeemer - Dro-m'Athra Destroyer
    The Unchained - Bedlam's Disciple - Temporal Tempest - Curator's Champion - Fist of Tava - Invader's Bane - Land, Air, and Sea Supremacy - Zero Regrets - Battlespire's Best - Bastion Breaker - Ardent Bibliophile - Subterranean Smasher - Bane of Thorns - True Genius - In Defiance of Death - No Rest for the Wicked - Nature's Wrath - Undying Endurance - Relentless Raider - Depths Defier - Apex Predator - Pure Lunacy - Mountain God - Leave No Bone Unbroken - CoS/RoM/BF/FH Challenger
    61,215 achievement points
  • kringled_1
    kringled_1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    tmbrinks wrote: »
    The materials you get from collecting surveys will be 50% at the level of the character and 50% at their crafting skill in that profession.

The "number" of crafting materials you get will be the same regardless, so you can make the decision on what type of materials you want to pick up.

The number does slightly vary with the type of material, I think for example if I get maple it will be possible to get 8-14 logs in a node whereas it might be 12-18 with ruby ash. It's not a huge difference, but since I have low needs for anything but top level mats (and those are mostly satisfied by the random supplies in daily writs), I pick them up on a maxed out crafter.
  • tmbrinks
    tmbrinks
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    kringled_1 wrote: »

The number does slightly vary with the type of material, I think for example if I get maple it will be possible to get 8-14 logs in a node whereas it might be 12-18 with ruby ash. It's not a huge difference, but since I have low needs for anything but top level mats (and those are mostly satisfied by the random supplies in daily writs), I pick them up on a maxed out crafter.

Thanks for the correction. I honestly thought there wasn't a difference in the numbers, but it's also been a long time since I've collected a survey on a non-max level crafter.

On max level, it's 18 or 20 logs per node. And can be "doubled" with the plentiful harvest CP passive to 38 or 40. AFAIK I've never gotten anything other than those 4 amounts.
    Edited by tmbrinks on December 16, 2020 3:23PM
    Tenacious Dreamer - Hurricane Herald - Godslayer - Dawnbringer - Gryphon Heart - Tick Tock Tormenter - Immortal Redeemer - Dro-m'Athra Destroyer
    The Unchained - Bedlam's Disciple - Temporal Tempest - Curator's Champion - Fist of Tava - Invader's Bane - Land, Air, and Sea Supremacy - Zero Regrets - Battlespire's Best - Bastion Breaker - Ardent Bibliophile - Subterranean Smasher - Bane of Thorns - True Genius - In Defiance of Death - No Rest for the Wicked - Nature's Wrath - Undying Endurance - Relentless Raider - Depths Defier - Apex Predator - Pure Lunacy - Mountain God - Leave No Bone Unbroken - CoS/RoM/BF/FH Challenger
  • Feric51
    Feric51
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the correction. I honestly thought there wasn't a difference in the numbers, but it's also been a long time since I've collected a survey on a non-max level crafter.

On max level, it's 18 or 20 logs per node. And can be "doubled" with the plentiful harvest CP passive to 38 or 40. AFAIK I've never gotten anything other than those 4 amounts.

I know you were specifying "logs" in this instance (aka wood nodes), but the numbers run a little higher for the furrier traps (aka medium clothing nodes). I think it's 24/32 and 48/54 or something like that.
    Feric51
    Xbox NA

Darkness Falls: The Crusade survivor (you young kids will never know the struggle of text-based games)

• FlopsyPrince
    FlopsyPrince
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I REALLY wish gathering multiples was easier. Yes you can work around it, but why waste time doing that when I could be playing the more interesting parts of the game?
    PC
    PS4/PS5
  • Taleof2Cities
    Taleof2Cities
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I REALLY wish gathering multiples was easier. Yes you can work around it, but why waste time doing that when I could be playing the more interesting parts of the game?

If surveys aren't "interesting" just destroy them, @FlopsyPrince ... or reduce the number of writ dailies you're doing so they're not a blight on your inventory.

Every player has to decide what to do with their time in the game. Same goes for you.
  • FlopsyPrince
    FlopsyPrince
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

If surveys aren't "interesting" just destroy them, @FlopsyPrince ... or reduce the number of writ dailies you're doing so they're not a blight on your inventory.

Every player has to decide what to do with their time in the game. Same goes for you.

You find surveys interesting? I am not going to "just delete them" since they have value when I can tolerate the extra work.

Though you fail to answer the question of WHY they have to be such a pain. Just multiply the rewards based on how many I have in my personal inventory and the problem would be solved!

Grinding for skyshards does get repetitive (as an alternative example), but at least I am killing things and running around. I don't have to figure exactly how far to run away for a reset (since that varies based on the survey spot) and wasting time with that.
    PC
    PS4/PS5
  • FlopsyPrince
    FlopsyPrince
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I just gathered some surveys in Eastmarch. Figuring out how far to run and which way took more time than collecting the surveys for several of them.

Note that the "just don't use it" argument could be used for multi-fileting of fish requested in another thread now or the multi-crafting that is fortunately part of the game now.

Quality of Life issues are worthwhile.

Another option to simplify this is to let pressing the survey (it is slottable after all) reset the nodes, especially if they have all been collected. (Or put a choice for that when viewing the map). I still prefer the multi-collect, but this would eliminate the "figure out how far to run away and back and do that" annoying part.
    PC
    PS4/PS5
  • twev
    twev
    ✭✭✭✭✭

You find surveys interesting? I am not going to "just delete them" since they have value when I can tolerate the extra work.

Though you fail to answer the question of WHY they have to be such a pain. Just multiply the rewards based on how many I have in my personal inventory and the problem would be solved!

Grinding for skyshards does get repetitive (as an alternative example), but at least I am killing things and running around. I don't have to figure exactly how far to run away for a reset (since that varies based on the survey spot) and wasting time with that.

Simple answer to why they're 'such a pain' is because games like this are made to occupy as much of your time as they can while creating as little 'new content' as possible. Your efficiency isn't a goal or priority for them.

The more time you spend doing the same repetitive mundane stuff = the less time you spend burning through new content, or getting burned out doing delves and combat in new areas that looks exactly like the delves and combat in old areas.
    Edited by twev on December 25, 2020 2:44PM
    The problem with society these days is that no one drinks from the skulls of their enemies anymore.

PC/NA, i7 with 32 gigs of ram, nVME cards and an nVidea 1060 over fiber.
    I don't play through Steam, ever.
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    twev wrote: »

Simple answer to why they're 'such a pain' is because games like this are made to occupy as much of your time as they can while creating as little 'new content' as possible. Your efficiency isn't a goal or priority for them.

The more time you spend doing the same repetitive mundane stuff = the less time you spend burning through new content, or getting burned out doing delves and combat in new areas that looks exactly like the delves and combat in old areas.

While I agree there is a grind, most of the players that think surveys are a pain are doing them on multiple characters and saving up the surveys until they are very time consuming to do all at once. Both are a choice.
  • FlopsyPrince
    FlopsyPrince
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    idk wrote: »

While I agree there is a grind, most of the players that think surveys are a pain are doing them on multiple characters and saving up the surveys until they are very time consuming to do all at once. Both are a choice.

To the previous poster: Then we should have never gotten multicrafting, since that removed some grind. That is a false argument. PLENTY of things to grind would remain in the name and this is not a key grind item. Even the grind to get drops has been removed with the sticker book!

No reason/value for a grind here. Let us grind dailies, more quests, killing for drops, mastering MA/vMA, Dungeons, Delves, Trials, etc.

To the poster I am replying to: Yes, it is a choice, but I stack them up because finding the exact location is a pain and I would rather do it for several, not just one.
    PC
    PS4/PS5
  • katanagirl1
    katanagirl1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I wouldn’t complain about surveys, I get free mats from them and it doesn’t take much time at all.

More alts doing daily crafting writs makes more surveys. I’m very happy to get them.

As for the location, I’ve done enough of them that I only have to take a look at the hand-drawn map most times to remember where it is. I even remember most of the jewelry locations now.

Edited by katanagirl1 on December 26, 2020 5:13AM
    Khajiit Stamblade
    Dark Elf Magsorc
    Redguard Stamina Dragonknight
    Orc Stamplar PVP
    Breton Magsorc PVP

PS5 NA

• BenevolentBowd
    BenevolentBowd
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My recommendation is if you don't have any spare Skill Points for crafting, then you can do crafting equipment writs on characters with equipment proficiencies1.

Since they are proficiency 1, you will get either a survey or the mats you need to do the surveys every time. The material boxes drop items the current tier or lower. Since the character is proficiency 1, they always get their mats need for writs. This makes it ideal for farming surveys.

As far as survey management and collection goes, I have a dedicated character for storing and collecting surveys at max proficiencies and adventure level. Since the surveys stack, he can hold thousands of surveys (currently round 3.1k) and he still has enough free slots to do writs. :smile: The surveys take up around 175 slots.
    Megaservers: PC NA / EU (sometimes) Xbox NA (sometimes)
    Luxury Furniture Gallery [PC/NA]: Moon-Sugar Meadow
    Website:BenevolentBowd.ca, "Sharing My Notes With the World to Help Others"
    Charity:#GivingTheNewMeta
    ESO Calendarmancer: http://benevolentbowd.ca/calendar (10+ timezones to choose from)
    YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/c/BenevolentBowd
    #TeamStackableTreasureMaps
  • twev
    twev
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Me, for one.
    I've spent the last few days clearing stacks of 20 to 30 surveys for a single item type, zone by zone.
    The easy ones are a short turnaround if a grid line is clse by, others are faster to just log out/in to reset every survey node.
    The problem with society these days is that no one drinks from the skulls of their enemies anymore.

• tmbrinks
    tmbrinks
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Me, for one.
    I've spent the last few days clearing stacks of 20 to 30 surveys for a single item type, zone by zone.
    The easy ones are a short turnaround if a grid line is clse by, others are faster to just log out/in to reset every survey node.

I'm jealous if you can log out and back in in under 40 seconds... as that's the absolute longest "reset" I've found.

I had somebody do it once on one of the longer runs (Alchemy in Greenshade), and I got 3 full surveys collected in the time it took for them to log out and back in.
  • FlopsyPrince
    FlopsyPrince
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Me, for one.

I'm jealous if you can log out and back in in under 40 seconds... as that's the absolute longest "reset" I've found.

I had somebody do it once on one of the longer runs (Alchemy in Greenshade), and I got 3 full surveys collected in the time it took for them to log out and back in.

I am finding this is taking MUCH longer on the PS4 on either EU or NA lately. Hangs/crashes too often as well.

This is another reason to remove the need to jump through so many fake hoops for this. Anything that reduces server load for logging in/out would be good right?
    PC
    PS4/PS5
  • tmbrinks
    tmbrinks
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Me, for one.

I am finding this is taking MUCH longer on the PS4 on either EU or NA lately. Hangs/crashes too often as well.

This is another reason to remove the need to jump through so many fake hoops for this. Anything that reduces server load for logging in/out would be good right?

Running away to reset is the best option. it's shorter time wise than logging in and out.

And yes, I have add-ons that tell me where the survey is, but there is absolutely no add-on that tells me when it's reset, I don't think it even can exist. I've learned, through trial and error, where to go to reset the nodes the shortest distance. Most of them take around 15 seconds to reset on a horse with rapids. 18 seconds (9 seconds with rapids away and back) will reset about 95% of them... and you learn the others.

There is no "guessing" about it anymore. I wanted to know where to do to reset it, I figured it out, and now I know. No online source, no add-ons, just personal trial and error. So, it's exactly the same for everybody on every server.

(Also, the login server is separate from the gameplay server, so there is no effect on other's gameplay... it's why when you login to play on the EU server, you're still pinging the US, since they only have 1 login server, but the game server is in Germany)
  • FlopsyPrince
    FlopsyPrince
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Me, for one.

Running away to reset is the best option. it's shorter time wise than logging in and out.

And yes, I have add-ons that tell me where the survey is, but there is absolutely no add-on that tells me when it's reset, I don't think it even can exist. I've learned, through trial and error, where to go to reset the nodes the shortest distance. Most of them take around 15 seconds to reset on a horse with rapids. 18 seconds (9 seconds with rapids away and back) will reset about 95% of them... and you learn the others.

There is no "guessing" about it anymore. I wanted to know where to do to reset it, I figured it out, and now I know. No online source, no add-ons, just personal trial and error. So, it's exactly the same for everybody on every server.

(Also, the login server is separate from the gameplay server, so there is no effect on other's gameplay... it's why when you login to play on the EU server, you're still pinging the US, since they only have 1 login server, but the game server is in Germany)

I normally do that now, but it can be really frustrating, especially for those of us who have not memorized each zone. I forget where the site was many times and waste a lot of time there. This is especially true when one spot may be unharvested, but in a hidden location (such as mostly buried in the ground) as happened to me last time.

No addons on consoles as we note, which is why the location information should also be in the game.

Though I will still argue against the need to ride away or do anything else to reset it. Even auto resetting it when you harvest the last node and have another survey for that location on you. That should be doable fairly quickly as well.
    PC
    PS4/PS5
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Me, for one.

I normally do that now, but it can be really frustrating, especially for those of us who have not memorized each zone. I forget where the site was many times and waste a lot of time there. This is especially true when one spot may be unharvested, but in a hidden location (such as mostly buried in the ground) as happened to me last time.

No addons on consoles as we note, which is why the location information should also be in the game.

Though I will still argue against the need to ride away or do anything else to reset it. Even auto resetting it when you harvest the last node and have another survey for that location on you. That should be doable fairly quickly as well.

Once you are at a location just check out a path to leave and return on instead of winging it each time. That will probably help ensure you return to the same location.

Beyond that, I doubt Zos will consider any changes to collecting surveys as they do not want to risk creating a means to exploit them. Yes, there was a pretty big survey exploit.
  • twev
    twev
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Me, for one.

No, it wasn't as fast as that, but sometimes I get distracted by a couple nodes 'just a little further...' or have to do some fighting that slows me down.

I was in shadowfen last night, running the stop watch on my phone again (I do that pretty often to see how the login lag is going) and got 24 jewelry writs done in 28 minutes at a single location. I was catching up on reading the forum while I was waiting...

• tmbrinks
    tmbrinks
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Me, for one.

No, it wasn't as fast as that, but sometimes I get distracted by a couple nodes 'just a little further...' or have to do some fighting that slows me down.

I was in shadowfen last night, running the stop watch on my phone again (I do that pretty often to see how the login lag is going) and got 24 jewelry writs done in 28 minutes at a single location. I was catching up on reading the forum while I was waiting...

Even with doing it the long way (logging in and out), granted the Shadowfen jewelry is one that is at least plausible for doing that it's a pain to reset.

In those 28 minutes, you probably picked up about 3200 jewelry dust, which has a value of about 140 a piece on PC/NA... picked up about 450k worth of mats in 28 minutes.

There is no more efficient farming in the game.

Which is why I struggle to see how ZoS is going to change things to make it even more efficient for those of use who are in the niche of doing writs on dozens of characters a day.
    Edited by tmbrinks on December 28, 2020 5:03PM
  • kringled_1
    kringled_1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Me, for one.

And the shadowfen jewelry is in the top 5 most difficult/annoying ones to reset in the game.

Out of curiosity, where do the northern Elsweyr blacksmithing map and the one Wrothgar jewelry map (on the cliff near old Orsinium) rank on that list?
    Shadowfen jewelry is definitely pretty annoying.
  • tmbrinks
    tmbrinks
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Me, for one.

And the shadowfen jewelry is in the top 5 most difficult/annoying ones to reset in the game.

Out of curiosity, where do the northern Elsweyr blacksmithing map and the one Wrothgar jewelry map (on the cliff near old Orsinium) rank on that list?

Also both in the top 5 :joy:

Worst 5 in the game to reset for me...

Elsweyr Blacksmithing (was a 24 second reset for me today when I timed it)
    Wrothgar Jewelry
    Shadowfen Jewelry
    Malabal Tor Alchemy
    Grahtwood Enchanting
  • Feric51
    Feric51
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Me, for one.

Wrothgar Jewelry
    Shadowfen Jewelry
    Malabal Tor Alchemy
    Grahtwood Enchanting

Grahtwood Enchanting is a pain to get to initially, but I haven't noticed resetting it to be difficult at all. If you head to the bigger island due south with the Alyeid ruins and hit the spot where (I believe) a chest spawns, then head back it should be reset. It's been awhile (6 months!) since I've done that one, but I think there's a route of shallow water that doesn't involve any swimming to reset it.

Unless my memory is failing me, this one only takes the 18-20 second round trip jaunt that's about standard.
    Feric51
    Xbox NA

Darkness Falls: The Crusade survivor (you young kids will never know the struggle of text-based games)

• tmbrinks
    tmbrinks
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Feric51 wrote: »

Me, for one.

Wrothgar Jewelry
    Shadowfen Jewelry
    Malabal Tor Alchemy
    Grahtwood Enchanting

Grahtwood Enchanting is a pain to get to initially, but I haven't noticed resetting it to be difficult at all. If you head to the bigger island due south with the Alyeid ruins and hit the spot where (I believe) a chest spawns, then head back it should be reset. It's been awhile (6 months!) since I've done that one, but I think there's a route of shallow water that doesn't involve any swimming to reset it.

Unless my memory is failing me, this one only takes the 18-20 second round trip jaunt that's about standard.

hmm... I feel like I've tried going that way and it didn't reset easily, I usually end up going north and having to swim (not so bad on my alt as my survey collector is an Argonian), but I'll have to give it another look.

If I can get rid of the swimming that would make it much easier.
  • FlopsyPrince
    FlopsyPrince
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Me, for one.

Once you are at a location just check out a path to leave and return on instead of winging it each time. That will probably help ensure you return to the same location.

Beyond that, I doubt Zos will consider any changes to collecting surveys as they do not want to risk creating a means to exploit them. Yes, there was a pretty big survey exploit.

I try to do that, but I get misfocused, especially if I harvest something on the way out or back and can get misdirected.

Would you have expected them to add multicrafting? The sticker book? They can and will do whatever they want. Making excuses will not make it more likely or help in any way. It still may not come, but we can still ask and perhaps the message will eventually get through!

Me, for one.

Even with doing it the long way (logging in and out), granted the Shadowfen jewelry is one that is at least plausible for doing that it's a pain to reset.

In those 28 minutes, you probably picked up about 3200 jewelry dust, which has a value of about 140 a piece on PC/NA... picked up about 450k worth of mats in 28 minutes.

Which is why I struggle to see how ZoS is going to change things to make it even more efficient for those of use who are in the niche of doing writs on dozens of characters a day.

Why not? Quality of Life issues remain important. I am not sure how you get 450K from a few surveys in one zone. I don't see getting that even when I pile them up to 20 or so.

Wrothgar has one that you cannot run from without having to circle around and find the way/place to drop down again since it is on a rather small platform area on a cliff.

Yes, we will obviously live with it, but don't ask for anything if you want to take the "that's the way it is" approach. They should make NO improvements following that approach. It would be silly in my view, though not completely surprising.

Some solutions would be fairly simple here however, so some solution could happen with minimal coding/testing. (I say that after having written quite a bit of code in the past, many times for very large systems.)
    PC
    PS4/PS5
  • tmbrinks
    tmbrinks
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Me, for one.

I try to do that, but I get misfocused, especially if I harvest something on the way out or back and can get misdirected.

Would you have expected them to add multicrafting? The sticker book? They can and will do whatever they want. Making excuses will not make it more likely or help in any way. It still may not come, but we can still ask and perhaps the message will eventually get through!

Me, for one.

Why not? Quality of Life issues remain important. I am not sure how you get 450K from a few surveys in one zone. I don't see getting that even when I pile them up to 20 or so.

Wrothgar has one that you cannot run from without having to circle around and find the way/place to drop down again since it is on a rather small platform area on a cliff.

Yes, we will obviously live with it, but don't ask for anything if you want to take the "that's the way it is" approach. They should make NO improvements following that approach. It would be silly in my view, though not completely surprising.

Some solutions would be fairly simple here however, so some solution could happen with minimal coding/testing. (I say that after having written quite a bit of code in the past, many times for very large systems.)

You get a minimum of 18 per node x 6 = 108. If only 1 node per 2 surveys (1 in 12, when it's stated as a 10% chance) is "doubled" from the plentiful harvest passive that puts you at about 120.

They had 28 surveys they collected, I simply multiplied the 28 x 120 x 140 (the going price for platinum dust on PC/NA), and I used Platinum since they were explicitly talking about jewelry surveys.

(Now that I look, they had 24 surveys, so that would be 403k, point still stands, I suppose).

I'm also not arguing from a "I wouldn't like this approach", it'd make it a hell of a lot easier for me to collect my surveys. I'm arguing from the "surveys are already the most efficient way of getting raw materials" and I struggle to see why they would improve it already when it's already the best.

The Wrothgar one, which I listed in my "difficult reset" list, still only takes 20 or so seconds to reset. Hop off the cliff, mount up, hit rapids and run around and back up. I usually try and pair it with the Alchemy one nearby though, so I'm doing a "half-loop" and getting 2 surveys collected each full loop.
  • FlopsyPrince
    FlopsyPrince
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I'm also not arguing from a "I wouldn't like this approach", it'd make it a hell of a lot easier for me to collect my surveys. I'm arguing from the "surveys are already the most efficient way of getting raw materials" and I struggle to see why they would improve it already when it's already the best.

The Wrothgar one, which I listed in my "difficult reset" list, still only takes 20 or so seconds to reset. Hop off the cliff, mount up, hit rapids and run around and back up. I usually try and pair it with the Alchemy one nearby though, so I'm doing a "half-loop" and getting 2 surveys collected each full loop.

Which is the reason I want it. I haven't done your number cranking but it has gone from being fun to being chore that gets delayed. That shows something is wrong, even if it is profitable.

Maybe bot farmers wouldn't have as much success (if they are really worried about that) if normal people didn't have the extra hoops.

Having to do a loop in Wrothgar (per your example) is quite ridiculous, but is the way things are now. No value added, just extra work for a game "reward".

I will argue anything in the game that must be "worked" around is implemented poorly. Learning to sneak in a theft quest is part of the game, having to track where you are and have a fairly good remembrance of the specific area to collect multiple surveys is not. One makes you play the game (sneaking) the other just wastes your time!

PC
    PS4/PS5