Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Necromancer build for new player

Snetchyy
Snetchyy
Soul Shriven
Hello, I am new to the game. I came from other mmo games usually playing anything related to warlock/curse.
I am looking for solo play firstly, so I came to this question, which would be better for to go for stamina necromancer or vampire necromancer build?
  • colossalvoids
    colossalvoids
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not sure what you referring to as a vampire necro, but I'd suggest trying out both first or picking a flexible race (dunmer as primary example) to be able to respec into preferred specification without losing out on some redundant race bonuses. You can be vamp on any spec but it's not that beneficial to be one so check firstly if you really need anything from that skill line.
  • El_Borracho
    El_Borracho
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    As a new player, check out Alcast for a starting point on builds of all kinds. Then you can tweak your builds as you progress.

I've played a stam necro DPS for all of the group PVE content. I'd say its harder to run than a stamplar or magsorc as the combat takes a while to get used to. But sustain is the biggest issue. If you're just doing overland content, you should be okay though.

Not a fan of vampire DPS builds. Just saying that to let you know my personal preference, others like them, healers tend to hate them. Weakens you to fire and make heals a little harder, which is an issue for stamina DPS as Vigor is the only reliable heal for stamina. Yes, there are other skills within the necro line, but they aren't as reliable as Vigor. But overall, the DPS tradeoff does not make sense. Again, if you are only doing solo overland stuff, go for it. There are no rules there

I like @colossalvoids Dunmer suggestion. Gives you a chance to swap him over to a magicka character if you don't like stamina.
  • etchedpixels
    etchedpixels
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Play it and see - you can get vampirism cured so it's not like you are making a lifetime choice in the game.
    Too many toons not enough time
  • Lumenn
    Lumenn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Assuming OP is still getting the hang of things I saw a post pointing them to alcast. Keep in mind he does this in his sleep and while he gives you alternative gear sets, his knowledge of dungeons, skills, dodge reflex etc won't be yours, so might be frustrating if you don't get the same results. Use his site/advice but I'd also suggest Hack the Minotaur for some off meta solo builds as well.

As to your question I can't answer because I don't have a vampire necromancer. My stamina necromancer along with my sorcerer are easiest for ME and MY play style. You however may "click" better with ranged vs in your face. Try them and find out.
  • FrancisCrawford
    FrancisCrawford
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Actually, nightblade might have more of the flavor you're looking for than necromancer does.

• El_Borracho
    El_Borracho
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    @Lumenn totally agree. In terms of a site that gives beginners reasons for why he does certain skills, gear, races, foods, etc, he is the most accessible. But yeah, there is stuff Alcast does that others can not. Like running super-low health on builds (like the stamina Necro) under the assumption the group's healer and tank will be providing the health and resistance buffs to survive. Or keeping up stacks with a solid rotation.
  • Lumenn
    Lumenn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Lumenn totally agree. In terms of a site that gives beginners reasons for why he does certain skills, gear, races, foods, etc, he is the most accessible. But yeah, there is stuff Alcast does that others can not. Like running super-low health on builds (like the stamina Necro) under the assumption the group's healer and tank will be providing the health and resistance buffs to survive. Or keeping up stacks with a solid rotation.

Yep. I've been playing awhile but I'm mostly a solo, casual heathen. When I decided to step up my game Alcast was suggested everywhere and his builds work, but a lot of his stuff(especially earlier) required you to have certain skill sets, rotations, dungeon knowledge, everything down pat(and a good group/guild who's on point) Hack to ME was more newby friendly and off meta ideas(i actually still use two of his builds(modified) for solo play.(unkillable stamcro and heavy magicka sorc)
  • Scardan
    Scardan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Magica necromancer without vampire. Vampire makes more sence at stage 3 and 4 and in solo build, but i feel myself gimped somehow. You can try of course. You can build around mist form (some kind of DoT build) or around blood scion, but in my opinion you will be better without vampirism.
    Why do I recommend magica? Because it is imho more fun to use class abilities.

This may help https://alcasthq.com/eso-necromancer-class-list/?utm_source=AlcastHQ+Builds+Page&utm_medium=Necromancer
    Edited by Scardan on December 15, 2020 12:07PM
    Let's be extremely precise in our use of terms.