Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Crafting Q's

Mortelus
Mortelus
✭✭✭
I love the crafting in this game, it is simplistic, but at the same time enjoyable. Unlike other game you can also be completely self-sufficient, at least from what I have seen of crafting you are.

So well done Zeni for finally getting crafting right in an MMO, +10 to you guys.

To my questions;

1) The rare drops to improve gear, do they become more common in later levels and with more points in hirelings?

2) By how much can you reduce the cost of rare components by?

3) Does crafting stay self sufficient until end game, or will I be forced into raiding to find that rare mat to make something of a higher level? (If so i am taking those 10 points back Zeni)

Thanks in advance
Edited by Mortelus on April 22, 2014 11:45PM
Who has time? But if we never take time how can we ever have time?
  • Sihnfahl
    Sihnfahl
    ✭✭✭✭
    Mortelus wrote: »
    1) The rare drops to improve gear, do they become more common in later levels and with more points in hirelings?
    Yes and yes. That's one reason why I research with low level items and decon higher.
    2) By how much can you reduce the cost of rare components by?
    I take it to mean 'what's the maximum increase in upgrade chance per upgrade item'. I can 90% in three for the lower level stuff (greens and blues), if my memory is right. Four for purples?
    3) Does crafting stay self sufficient until end game, or will I be forced into raiding to find that rare mat to make something of a higher level? (If so i am taking those 10 points back Zeni
    There's no raiding - just dungeons, the upcoming adventure zone and PvP.

I've gotten quite a few gold upgrades from my hireling and a few on refining. It'll take a while before I get enough for a full set of gold, though.

It's not really the sufficiency. A purple crafted item is identical to a purple drop item, except.... you can choose the style if that's important and customize the trait. They'll accept the same enchants, and both can be upgraded to gold.
  • Mortelus
    Mortelus
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the answers :)

What I meant on 3) was in other games i had to maybe contact a blacksmith to make something for me so I could make a bow using the component the BS had made. Also you would have a really rare mat that could only be obtained from a raid/instance.

In higher levels does this happen or is it always just the upgrade components used and wood/metal ingots depending on your craft?
    Edited by Mortelus on April 22, 2014 11:58PM
  • Sihnfahl
    Sihnfahl
    ✭✭✭✭
    i had to maybe contact a blacksmith to make something for me so I could make a bow using the component the BS had made. Also you would have a really rare mat that could only be obtained from a raid/instance.
    Okay, fair enough.

No, the material requirements don't increase beyond base, style and trait. Unlike other MMO crafts, you don't have to ask a blacksmith to make a belt buckle so your leatherworker can make that high level belt.

You got the leather? You got the style mat? You got the trait item? You now have a nice, shiny Veteran 5 belt you can upgrade yourself from materials you get while deconstructing / refining.

Okay, sure, if you want to enchant it, you'll need an enchanter to sell you the glyph... but that's it.

Zero overlap. You don't need a blacksmith to do any tailoring and vice versa.
    Edited by Sihnfahl on April 23, 2014 12:05AM
  • Mortelus
    Mortelus
    ✭✭✭
    Excellent thank you very much :)

Happy adventures

EDIT: Now how do you make this so it is answered?
    lol
    Edited by Mortelus on April 23, 2014 12:08AM
  • Greydog
    Greydog
    ✭✭✭✭
    EDIT: Now how do you make this so it is answered?
    lol

You would have had to post this as a question from the dropdown next to the "new discussion" button.

"I Plan on living forever ..so far so good"
    Sanguine's Disciple

Asylum Amoebaeus ..A refuge for those who normally fly solo.
    Message me here or in game for an invite
  • Mortelus
    Mortelus
    ✭✭✭
    ahh ok, thanks. Well consider this answered..twice now :)