Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Hemming

JohnD212
JohnD212
✭✭✭
I'm having issues with how rare it is to get hemming. Since it is required to upgrade low level items I don't understand why it's so hard to get. I don't have any issues getting Pitch and other items necessary for other professions but hemming just hardly occurs. I have broken down so many green items and receive hemming so infrequently.

Just frustrating. .... end rant! :neutral_face:
  • pavelcherepanskyrwb17_ESO
    Try putting some points into increasing chances of extraction of rare items and it will become more abundant.
    "Do you want the book or not? Then go whack some people with Wabbajack!!"
  • Jeremy
    Jeremy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    JohnD212 wrote: »
    I'm having issues with how rare it is to get hemming. Since it is required to upgrade low level items I don't understand why it's so hard to get. I don't have any issues getting Pitch and other items necessary for other professions but hemming just hardly occurs. I have broken down so many green items and receive hemming so infrequently.

Just frustrating. .... end rant! :neutral_face:

I have the exact same problem with Honing Stones and certain gems I need, like diamonds.

So you are not alone.

This game desperately needs a working economy so players like you and me can have greater access to the materials we need to enjoy their crafting system more.
    Edited by Jeremy on April 23, 2014 1:24AM
  • Mortelus
    Mortelus
    ✭✭✭
    Me also, I would have thought it would drop far more than it does, however I am lucky to upgrade even once piece of armour per 2 levels, and trust me, I have spent the last 5 hours of my game time fishing and collecting mats, yet still I only have 5 hemming for my hard work.

So I am either incredible unlucky or the drops just really are that low.
    Edited by Mortelus on April 23, 2014 1:33AM
    Who has time? But if we never take time how can we ever have time?
  • Mishoniko
    Mishoniko
    ✭✭✭
    1 point into improved extraction for a craft shoots the drop rate from deconstruction up to like 25-30%, it feels like. Well worth the point. I used to use green upgrade mats up when I got 5 which was every few levels, now I have half a stack sitting in my bank.

Mind you, you only get upgrade mats if you decon something of that level. You need to decon green items to get green upgrades, blue to get blue upgrades, and so forth. You can rarely get them from refining base mats (ore/raw fibers/etc.), and of course your hireling throws some your way every day.
  • nerevarine1138
    nerevarine1138
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mishoniko wrote: »
    1 point into improved extraction for a craft shoots the drop rate from deconstruction up to like 25-30%, it feels like. Well worth the point. I used to use green upgrade mats up when I got 5 which was every few levels, now I have half a stack sitting in my bank.

Mind you, you only get upgrade mats if you decon something of that level. You need to decon green items to get green upgrades, blue to get blue upgrades, and so forth. You can rarely get them from refining base mats (ore/raw fibers/etc.), and of course your hireling throws some your way every day.

This.

I felt the same way you did, OP. And then I put points into that. Now I'm sitting on 50+ hemmings at any given time.
    ----
    Murray?
  • Natjur
    Natjur
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    With 3 points into extraction you have a 90% to get Honing Stones\Hemming from recycling greens.
  • JohnD212
    JohnD212
    ✭✭✭
    I took your advice and put one point in and suddenly I had 6 hemmings. Thank you...finally! :smile:
  • Delte
    Delte
    ✭✭✭
    Mishoniko wrote: »

Not entirely true. I have gained honing stones and hemming as well as pitch from refining resources as well. Also my hirelings will give me the upgrade resources.

This time when I made my new armour and weapons I have managed to make them all into Green items with upgrade resources to spare.