The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Trying to get into ESO(again)

Boneskull
Boneskull
Soul Shriven
Hello guys!
I played ESO earlier this year until around level 20-30. I really enjoyed it but didin't invest too much time and money in the game(I have the base game and Morrowind) so when I started playing with my friends they were killing dragons in Elsweyr and I was doing that old man(the Prophet if I remember correctly) quests. I was kinda left behind and I think that was the reason for dropping the game.

Now I want to start it again and play it as my main game and I hope I will get into it.
  • I want to buy the latest expansions. I play on Steam and there I could find only Greymoor. If I buy it I will get the other expansions aswell? I really want to try the necromancer class.
  • I want to know how is the end game. I played WoW for the past 10 years, started for the PvP but they butchered that content over the years. I'm ok with doing some pve content, dungeons, raids but I would like to know if not doing them will affect my pvp experience. Do I have to farm for bis items in pve content so I can perform well in pvp? Is there endless boring grinds?
  • I want to know if there is room for healers in this game because I mained that role for so long and I would like to do it here aswell. Being a necromancer healer is something I wanted in other games for so long.
  • And the last one, is ESO plus mandatory? I mean I payed for subscriptions for so many years but if I get the chance to save some money I'll go for it.
  • And the real last one, can you recommend me some sites or youtube channels that can introduce me to the ESO lore?

Thanks in advance!!!
  • Taleof2Cities
    Taleof2Cities
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    We've got mostly good news for you, @Boneskull.
    • I want to buy the latest expansions. I play on Steam and there I could find only Greymoor. If I buy it I will get the other expansions aswell? I really want to try the necromancer class. Yes, look for the Greymoor Standard Edition or the Greymoor Collector's Edition. Both of those include the past chapter expansions along with the Necromancer class ... and are compatible with what you already have.
    • I want to know how is the end game. I played WoW for the past 10 years, started for the PvP but they butchered that content over the years. I'm ok with doing some pve content, dungeons, raids but I would like to know if not doing them will affect my pvp experience. Do I have to farm for bis items in pve content so I can perform well in pvp? Is there endless boring grinds? End game PvP and PvE is both challenging and rewarding in ESO. Just like any MMO, there is no instant gratification when it comes to the gear grind. However, most WoW players report a lower grind rate in ESO compared to WoW. Most of the meta PvP builds use a combination of both PvE and PvP equipment, weapons, and jewelry. However, it is possible to still be competitive using PvP gear only.
    • I want to know if there is room for healers in this game because I mained that role for so long and I would like to do it here aswell. Being a necromancer healer is something I wanted in other games for so long. Yes, I have a Necromancer dedicated purge in PvP, so a healer role is totally possible and welcomed by raid groups. Eventually, you'll want to find a PvP guild(s) since healers are limited to group play in Cyrodiil.
    • And the last one, is ESO plus mandatory? I mean I payed for subscriptions for so many years but if I get the chance to save some money I'll go for it. Though ESO+ is not mandatory, it is highly recommended if you decide to stick with the game for awhile. ZOS offers ESO+ free plays every few months ... so you can test drive it during that time without obligation.
    • And the real last one, can you recommend me some sites or youtube channels that can introduce me to the ESO lore? There are several good websites, twitch, and youtube channels that are fantastic with Elder Scrolls lore. I'd start with the UESP: https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Lore:Main_Page

Edited by Taleof2Cities on December 8, 2020 5:28PM
  • fred4
    fred4
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    The sources for gear include:

Crafted sets, which you can learn to craft or another player may craft for you. Learning all sets and all traits takes about a year. It's not labour intensive, just learning the last few traits has very long timers.

Overland sets and PvP-sourced sets, which are tradeable in guild stores. You could grind them, but if you're like me, you do content you like, for example PvP, and you make gold by selling stuff yourself. Making gold is especially viable right now, due to motif drops from the event. The daily motif drop is a very easy farm.

It is entirely viable to make do with either crafted sets or really cheap sets until you have accumulated some gold. The source or the price of a set is not necessarily indicative of it's power. Some good PvP sets are cheap and some crafted sets are or have been meta.

Arena sets. Some are tradeable, some are not, many of the 5-piece sets are "meh". Arena weapons, however, are non-tradeable and many are valuable in PvP, but quite easy to grind these days.

Dungeon sets from 4-man content. They can be traded between your dungeon group for 2 hours, before they get locked to your character. Again, some are useful, some are not. Crafted and overland are just as good on the whole.

Monster helms and shoulders. Pretty valueable for any content, though not the only option. Many are quite easy to farm, once you rank up a little and make some friends. The helms often take a single dungeon run only.

Mythic items. It's a grind to get the skill line and the leads, but you do that once for each item and you can now replicate them forever after with the Collections system. I use Wild Hunt on almost every build for the extra speed. Your mileage may vary.

Trial sets from 12-man content. These are generally designed for PvE and not useful in PvP.
    PC EU (EP): Magicka NB (main), Stamina NB, Stamina DK, Stamina Sorcerer, Magicka Warden, Magicka Templar, Stamina Templar
    PC NA (EP): Magicka NB