Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Crafting decon material chance

Thundertalon
Thundertalon
✭✭
Was wondering what exactly effects the chance to get valuable items from equipment decon - specifically, upgrade and style materials. I haven't been able to find any specific info on this

Let's say my CP 160 char without any points in extraction (or any crafting passives) decons a bunch of dropped sets he got from vet Fang Lair. Am I going to see less purple upgrade mats and/or dragon bones than if I deconned on my max master crafter?

Any insight is appreciated. Thanks
Pact: DK dps & magblade; DC: magplar, PC NA
Looking to do group quests (Craglorn, IC, dungeons, etc) - just let me know
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The extraction passives really help with this.

Also, if you craft something, the chance of getting a Temper and Style mats is much higher.

As for dropped loot, i would hazard a guess it is about 50% to 60% for a style mat, and 40% for a temper. Not sure if @tmbrinks or @Sunshine_Daydream or @BenevolentBowd track this aspect or not.
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• BenevolentBowd
    BenevolentBowd
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I haven't done any research on item deconstruction and the effects of the extraction passives.

Typically, my deconstruction and refining are done on characters with max extraction.

Megaservers: PC NA / EU (sometimes) Xbox NA (sometimes)
    Luxury Furniture Gallery [PC/NA]: Moon-Sugar Meadow
    Website:BenevolentBowd.ca, "Sharing My Notes With the World to Help Others"
    Charity:#GivingTheNewMeta
    ESO Calendarmancer: http://benevolentbowd.ca/calendar (10+ timezones to choose from)
    YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/c/BenevolentBowd
    #TeamStackableTreasureMaps
  • tmbrinks
    tmbrinks
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I haven't done any research on item deconstruction and the effects of the extraction passives.

Typically, my deconstruction and refining are done on characters with max extraction.

Same. The only time I deconstruct on characters without it are when I'm leveling up the crafting lines themselves.
    Tenacious Dreamer - Hurricane Herald - Godslayer - Dawnbringer - Gryphon Heart - Tick Tock Tormenter - Immortal Redeemer - Dro-m'Athra Destroyer
    The Unchained - Temporal Tempest - Curator's Champion - Fist of Tava - Invader's Bane - Land, Air, and Sea Supremacy - Zero Regrets - Battlespire's Best - Bastion Breaker - Ardent Bibliophile - Subterranean Smasher - Bane of Thorns - True Genius - In Defiance of Death - No Rest for the Wicked - Nature's Wrath - Undying Endurance - Relentless Raider - Depths Defier - Apex Predator - Pure Lunacy - Mountain God - Leave No Bone Unbroken - CoS/RoM/BF/FH Challenger
    60,005 achievement points
  • redlink1979
    redlink1979
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Nestor wrote: »
    (...) i would hazard a guess it is about 50% to 60% for a style mat, and 40% for a temper. (...)
    I think these estimated rates are highly probable:
    These comments on a reddit post:
    "(...)For style materials, the drop rate from deconstructing gear (with maxed passives, etc) is approximately 50%.(...)"
    "(...)Based on the amount of purple gear I deconstruct, I seem to get a rate of just over 50% with the passives maxed out. Without the passives, I would estimate around 25%.(...)"
    "(...)Rates are about 25-35% return on deconstruction of gold armour etc. Slightly higher the lesser you go on colour.(...)"

https://www.reddit.com/r/elderscrollsonline/comments/cz3bi8/drop_rate_for_tempers_from_deconstructing/
    tmbrinks wrote: »
    (...)The only time I deconstruct on characters without it are when I'm leveling up the crafting lines themselves.
    Same here.
    "Sweet Mother, sweet Mother, send your child unto me, for the sins of the unworthy must be baptized in blood and fear"
    • Sons of the Night Mother [PS5][EU] 2165 CP
    • Daggerfall's Mightiest [PS5][NA] 1910 CP
    • SweetTrolls [PC][EU] 1950 CP
    • Bacon Rats [PC][NA] 1850 CP
  • katanagirl1
    katanagirl1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Could the rate of style mats from decon be different on PC versus console?

I don’t have any data but I seem to get way less than 50% when I decon and I have all passives except keen eye and have hirelings at 2/3 for wood, metal, and cloth.

I would estimate 25% or less.

For purple gear, about the same.
    Khajiit Stamblade
    Dark Elf Magsorc
    Redguard Stamina Dragonknight
    Orc Stamplar PVP
    Breton Magsorc PVP

PS5 NA

• redlink1979
    redlink1979
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    No. I think rng is the major/decisive factor.
    "Sweet Mother, sweet Mother, send your child unto me, for the sins of the unworthy must be baptized in blood and fear"
    • Sons of the Night Mother [PS5][EU] 2165 CP
    • Daggerfall's Mightiest [PS5][NA] 1910 CP
    • SweetTrolls [PC][EU] 1950 CP
    • Bacon Rats [PC][NA] 1850 CP
  • Feric51
    Feric51
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I would guess the formulas are exactly the same and it's just a matter of confirmation bias making it appear less on console.

I'm only saying this because I felt my numbers (XB-NA) didn't jive with all the data @tmbrinks had compiled on PC so I actually spent a couple painful months manually logging things like writ rewards, style mats from decon, etc. While my sample size isn't nearly to the scale of his, my numbers seems to line up pretty much exactly with his data for the things I tracked.

I would be shocked if anything crafting related was programmed differently across platforms.
    Feric51
    Xbox NA

Darkness Falls: The Crusade survivor (you young kids will never know the struggle of text-based games)

• tmbrinks
    tmbrinks
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Feric51 wrote: »

I would guess the formulas are exactly the same and it's just a matter of confirmation bias making it appear less on console.

I'm only saying this because I felt my numbers (XB-NA) didn't jive with all the data @tmbrinks had compiled on PC so I actually spent a couple painful months manually logging things like writ rewards, style mats from decon, etc. While my sample size isn't nearly to the scale of his, my numbers seems to line up pretty much exactly with his data for the things I tracked.

I would be shocked if anything crafting related was programmed differently across platforms.

Same, I can't even fathom the reason that they would change it. The thought that ZoS is micromanaging the RNG that is occurring behind the scenes seems implausible to me.
    Tenacious Dreamer - Hurricane Herald - Godslayer - Dawnbringer - Gryphon Heart - Tick Tock Tormenter - Immortal Redeemer - Dro-m'Athra Destroyer
    The Unchained - Temporal Tempest - Curator's Champion - Fist of Tava - Invader's Bane - Land, Air, and Sea Supremacy - Zero Regrets - Battlespire's Best - Bastion Breaker - Ardent Bibliophile - Subterranean Smasher - Bane of Thorns - True Genius - In Defiance of Death - No Rest for the Wicked - Nature's Wrath - Undying Endurance - Relentless Raider - Depths Defier - Apex Predator - Pure Lunacy - Mountain God - Leave No Bone Unbroken - CoS/RoM/BF/FH Challenger
    60,005 achievement points
  • katanagirl1
    katanagirl1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Feric51 wrote: »

I would assume the same coding as well.

I am not suggesting micromanaging RNG either.

I was thinking of a parameters file where the percentage for each platform might be slightly different for some unknown reason.

I still decon each piece of gear individually and it seems like style mats only drop around 20% or the time for me but like I said I don’t have data to back it up. Probably just bias like you said.
    Khajiit Stamblade
    Dark Elf Magsorc
    Orc Stamplar PVP
    Breton Magsorc PVP

PS5 NA

• Feric51
    Feric51
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I still decon each piece of gear individually and it seems like style mats only drop around 20% or the time for me but like I said I don’t have data to back it up. Probably just bias like you said.

For style mats I wouldn't rule out the possibility that there may be variation of extraction % between differing styles.

Example: Base racial style mats = 50% extraction rate but DLC / Cyrodiil style mats = 20% rate.... or something along those lines.

The only large-scale style mat tracking I did was right before the update that introduced outfits. Before that update you could convert any racial style to one of the Morrowind racial styles (drawing a blank on which one it was) and then if you deconned it you could extract the style mat for that specific Morrowind race.

I must've created 500 iron daggers in Breton/Nord style, converted them, then deconned them for the style mat. I didn't keep hard numbers, but I can say with high confidence that I seemed to get my style mat back on well over 50% of the items which allowed me to create a nice stockpile of them.

At one point I also would buy any DLC/Alliance style gear from guild stores that was priced dirt cheap in hopes of extracting the style mat to sell or stockpile for master writs, and those seemed to have a lower drop chance than I recall for the Morrowind converted pieces, but I again don't have any quantitative proof to back that up.
    Feric51
    Xbox NA

Darkness Falls: The Crusade survivor (you young kids will never know the struggle of text-based games)

• katanagirl1
    katanagirl1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Yeah @Feric51 I have noticed gear for dlc areas the style mat drop rate is lower, but even in base game areas it seems low to me. Again, I do not have data to back this up so it is anecdotal.

Also, I have often wondered why sometimes the crafting stations make different sounds when I decon gear compared to what I usually hear.

On rare occasions, pressing the button to decon makes a loud “tink tink tink” and a “swoosh” instead of the regular less notable sounds. It’s really hard to describe. Does anyone have any idea what I’m talking about? Seems like I notice it later in the evening after a long day of playing and after I get enlightenment.
    Khajiit Stamblade
    Dark Elf Magsorc
    Orc Stamplar PVP
    Breton Magsorc PVP

PS5 NA