Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Stamplars and Frenzied Momentum

VoidCommander
VoidCommander
✭✭✭✭✭
Preface: There are more stamplars out in the game right now than ever before, primarily due to the fact that they are the new "easy dps class." I am writting this post to do a few things.

1: Remind everyone that just because someone is playing a stamplar, it does not mean they are a bad player. People mained templars long before the buffs to advancing yokuda.

2: Not all stamplars will be using a bow backbar, because with the addition of Vateshran Hollows, there is a new viable replacement for the bow backbar.

3: With the possible exception of Veteran Aslyum Sanctorum, all content can be done with having at least 2 ranged dps and the rest stamplar.

The new Frenzied Momentum 2h weapon reads as follows:

(1 item) Adds 877 Max Stamina (Perfected Only)
(1 item) While Momentum is active, casting Stamina abilities generates a stack of Frenzied Momentum for 20 seconds, increasing your Weapon Damage by 38 up to 5 times. Upon reaching max stacks, your next Heavy Attack will consume all stacks and release a violent explosion of energy around the target, dealing 9132 Physical Damage to all enemies within 8 meters.

What this means is that casting Momentum allows the generation of stacks for 20 seconds, and then those stacks persist for ANOTHER 20 seconds. This means that a class that is usually monobar can utilize a brilliant buff once and have it last for 40 seconds, which is longer that most trash pulls anyways. This results in a much higher overall parse, as much as 3-5k more damage in my own experience. In addition to using a 2h weapon for this buff, it opens up all the bonuses of having access to a greatsword. Using the charge ability allows me to get a full weapon power enchant proc, as well as helps me maneuver the battlefield faster than anyone else. This is usefull in cloudrest crystals, bosses that teleport, and cheating snares like eclipse field in Maw of Lorkhaj. Another benefit is that it grants the stamplar to be comparable to any magicka dps in terms of survivability. With the 2h, you can use momentum to heal yourself for large amounts instantly, instead of relying on the slower vigor heal. Additionally, if you need a damage shield for something like veteran Kyne's Aegis, you now have access to a powerful one in the form of Brawler from the 2h skill line.

As a side note, not that I would recommend this as a main strategy, but a stamplar can use their charge ability to hit orbs in cloudrest without popping them. So that can be done in desperate situations.

This post was prompted by experiencing several veteran trials where the raid leaders assumed that all the stamplars were hindering the trial because of their melee only capabilities. This is not the case. Yes many people are playing stamplars for the first time this patch, and if they are not able to adapt the most flexible stamina dps toolkit to do those trials, that simply means they need to do more research and gain more experience. It is not a failure of the class as a whole to be able to do difficult content.

An example of this is in the Maw of Lorkhaj trial's first Boss. Usually you require 4 melee and 4 ranged dps. We had 6 melee and 2 ranged. We solved this problem by roll dodging out of the stack when we were about to get cursed, and wrapping around the boss 260 degrees during shield phase. Stamplars can also utilize echoing vigor at the start of shield phase to make it VERY difficult for the mechanic to kill anyone before the shield is destroyed.

Whether you like it or not, you will likely be seeing more and more stamplars out there, at least until they are inevitably nerfed in some way or another. I think its great that lesser skilled players are now able to get into late game content finally, and they should not be turned away simply for being a stamplar. And if someone IS using a 2h with frenzied momentum instead of a bow, they are likely much more educated about the class than others, so please stop assuming otherwise.
  • jekyto
    jekyto
    ✭✭✭
    Cant i just like using a bow.. I dont understand all the histeria about stamplars. Play whatever you like, the way you like
  • zvavi
    zvavi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    And if someone IS using a 2h with frenzied momentum instead of a bow, they are likely much more educated about the class than others, so please stop assuming otherwise.

vMA bow is still much stronger on backbar (than 170 weapon dmg) and it forces you to run carve stampede for the backbar enchantment proc...
    Edited by zvavi on December 1, 2020 8:48PM
  • Husan
    Husan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Whether you like it or not, you will likely be seeing more and more stamplars out there, at least until they are inevitably nerfed in some way or another.
    :s
  • Ringing_Nirnroot
    Ringing_Nirnroot
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I use stamplar because I have a learning disability, makes much difficult for me to work with a “harder” class that requires more skill and tbh it’s the only one I’m decent at ‘:D
  • VoidCommander
    VoidCommander
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    zvavi wrote: »
    And if someone IS using a 2h with frenzied momentum instead of a bow, they are likely much more educated about the class than others, so please stop assuming otherwise.

vMA bow is still much stronger on backbar (than 170 weapon dmg) and it forces you to run carve for the backbar enchantment proc...

190 weapon damage, and it makes up for it by not requiring to go to your backbar to reapply the enchant. 4 casts of volley to get 450 weapon damage versus 1 cast of momentum to gain 190 for the same duration. Additionally, you can still get the 450 weapon damage on top of frenzied momentum if you need burst damage by using either the charge or the cleave dot morph.

I should also mention that the 2h is better for SINGLE bar stamplars. Dual bar stamplars who use things like purifying light and such should continue to use the maelstrom bow. They will do about 25% more damage in aoe fights than a single bar stamplar, but at a slight cost to single target damage and a much more complicated rotation, and dar fewer available skill slots for utility skills.
  • Firstmep
    Firstmep
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

vMA bow is still much stronger on backbar (than 170 weapon dmg) and it forces you to run carve for the backbar enchantment proc...

190 weapon damage, and it makes up for it by not requiring to go to your backbar to reapply the enchant. 4 casts of volley to get 450 weapon damage versus 1 cast of momentum to gain 190 for the same duration. Additionally, you can still get the 450 weapon damage on top of frenzied momentum if you need burst damage by using either the charge or the cleave dot morph.

I should also mention that the 2h is better for SINGLE bar stamplars. Dual bar stamplars who use things like purifying light and such should continue to use the maelstrom bow. They will do about 25% more damage in aoe fights than a single bar stamplar, but at a slight cost to single target damage and a much more complicated rotation, and dar fewer available skill slots for utility skills.

?
    Endless hail reapplies the wpd enchant even if you are on your frontbar.
    Just like wall of elements.
    What's complicated about going to your backbar every once in a while to literally cast 1 skill?
    Not to mention vate 2h requires you to use and maintain momentum buff, which is a complete waste of a skill for pve, neither morphs add anything useful.
  • hagencopen
    hagencopen
    ✭✭
    I personally dont like it. I used momentum for brutality instead of potions for a little while to test it out. It's annoying to keep up and a more useful skill could be slotted instead.
  • zvavi
    zvavi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

you didnt get me. 190 weapon damage is weaker than vMA bow damage(around the same for st, much less for aoe).

so by using vMA bow u get:
    1. more aoe damage.
    2. easier uptime on enchantment (recast every 14 seconds instead of carve's stampede's 10 seconds, resulting in more spammables, which means more damage).
    3. no reason to cast a useless skill (frenzied momentum) on backbar every 40 seconds. (or waste a slot on it)

while it can be "used" as a substitute for a vMA bow for "easier rotation if you want to be even more 1 bar then what stamplar is already is", it is "viable" (just like staying frontbar and spamming jabs is) it is far from "optimal".

and using it on backbar, (aka using momentum instead of hail every 40 seconds instead of 14 seconds) is a sign of a player not being able to keep up buff times.

Edited by zvavi on December 1, 2020 8:49PM
  • Juhasow
    Juhasow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Carve is not proccing enchantments from backbar. Stampede does.
  • Juhasow
    Juhasow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

First of all endless hail lasts 14 seconds so within 40 second period You'll use it 3 not 4 times. With percentage buffs possible to get to weapon dmg and the fact that vMA bow will be used in bow setup You get around 8k DPS plus around 680 wep dmg for 3 casts of endless hail vs 0 DPS and around 260 weapon dmg for 1 cast of momentum. Two additional casts of jabs You'll get in that time and slightly higher uptime on front bar wont be even close to generate equivalent of 8k DPS and 400 wep dmg. Even vMA 2h is better in that scenario because stampede reaplies vMA 2h bleed with every tick on every target it hits plus procs enchantment from back bar so You'll get more dmg that way then with frienzied momentum while still having 2h on back bar which You want so much.
  • zvavi
    zvavi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Juhasow wrote: »

Carve is not proccing enchantments from backbar. Stampede does.

Wasn't sure tbh, thanks. Still a 10 seconds cast. (Remembered that there was a skill that does didn't remember which)
  • VoidCommander
    VoidCommander
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tested out keeping the same rotation, but removing momentum and adding in endless hail with maelstrom bow. Went from 98k dps to 101k, so using a bow on back bar will be more damage.

Haven’t tried the maelstrom 2h idea yet though. All I’ll say is that utilizing the charge regularly instead of only at the start of fights is a little sketchy parse wise. However, the enchant procing 3 times because of the bleed is a tempting idea all the same.
  • Waffennacht
    Waffennacht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You sold me on stamplar for PvE.

Maybe wasnt your attention but I read it as: "how to get PvP gear as fast as possible by steam rolling PvE"
    Gamer tag: DasPanzerKat NA Xbox One
    1300+ CP
    Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds