The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Layman's Language needed

kagorsa
kagorsa
✭✭✭
I doubt the Dev's will look at this but I have to ask, why aren't the voice actors speaking in simple Layman's terms? Even the beggars seem to have swallowed a dictionary.

Also, why do npc's keep telling me I did something, how the hell would they know? It's not like they have a photo of my character. If they were to say something like, you look like the person that people say saved the king, or whatever ever you did, that part doesn't matter. This has Niggled me since beta.
Barbed wire has so many uses. Please bear in mind I have writing Dyslexia & I use Grammarly to help me type.
  • stefan.gustavsonb16_ESO
    stefan.gustavsonb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The beggars are all part of a secret cabal that rules Tamriel from the shadows, and they are not good enough actors to hide their vast intelligence. Except for that Bosmer girl who speaks gibberish, although she takes the act a bit too far.

And of course, being the savior of the entire game world, your reputation precedes you wherever you go. Did you think you were going to save the life of the ruler(s) of the kingdom(s), stop the Planemeld, and still remain anonymous in the crowd? Think again. Your face is known to everyone. Except for some NPC who seem to treat you like dirt, but I guess there are always some people that just won't follow the news.

RP explanations to RP issues. You can always make something up.
  • nukk3r
    nukk3r
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So you're the one who saved the Queen, eh? You don't look that special.
  • worrallj
    worrallj
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I haven't noticed beggars using particularly big vocabs, but I know that because of the onus of the oghma (all mortals have a duty to keep a journal), Tamrielics are much more literate than you might be used to irl.

Link: https://en.m.uesp.net/wiki/Online:The_Onus_of_the_Oghma
    Edited by worrallj on November 30, 2020 4:55PM
  • JKorr
    JKorr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Or are you referring to the beggars who use a "beggar's cant", and come across as totally confusing?

"Hey burr-sap! Spare a glint? A peck of shiny gems?" and "A mark! One who fights for coin! Spare some, will you? Mine's run off. Dallying with a lightcatch, sure!"
  • dcam86b14_ESO
    dcam86b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe brush up on your own vocabulary, the world of TESO reflects the education of it's people.
  • zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    JKorr wrote: »
    Or are you referring to the beggars who use a "beggar's cant", and come across as totally confusing?

"Hey burr-sap! Spare a glint? A peck of shiny gems?" and "A mark! One who fights for coin! Spare some, will you? Mine's run off. Dallying with a lightcatch, sure!"
    Now this one is more confused that she can not give beggars gold even if they wail about how poor they are.
    Yes I know you can give to some but perhaps they plan to cry an river and sail out
    Grinding just make you go in circles.
    Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would have thought that news of someone saving the queen and other heroic acts would travel fast. Why would someone think otherwise is the real question here.

Likewise, I never found the beggars to be speaking as though they were highly educated. Maybe that is just me.

Also, making an entire post bold pretty much negates making any of it bold. It makes it pointless.
  • Scottfree2
    Scottfree2
    ✭✭✭
    Heh, personally i dont think they go far enough .. if that guy in daggerfall says "I;d like to buy that hero an ale", well then damn well buy me an ale, i do kinda feel ive earned it, and frankly by this point should probably never have to pay for my own ales ever again :).
  • twev
    twev
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Scottfree2 wrote: »
    Heh, personally i dont think they go far enough .. if that guy in daggerfall says "I;d like to buy that hero an ale", well then damn well buy me an ale, i do kinda feel ive earned it, and frankly by this point should probably never have to pay for my own ales ever again :).

it happens all the time.
    I speak with Queen Ayrenn, she tells me that I'm a hero, again, for saving the kingdom, again, and a moment later a guard is asking me what I want and to move along.
    Then someone puts a bounty on me for stealing an apple, and I'm being hounded all over creation for a while.
    The problem with society these days is that no one drinks from the skulls of their enemies anymore.

PC/NA, i7 with 32 gigs of ram, nVME cards and an nVidea 1060 over fiber.
    I don't play through Steam, ever.
  • stewhead2ub17_ESO
    stewhead2ub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    "why aren't the voice actors speaking in simple Layman's terms? Even the beggars seem to have swallowed a dictionary."

Well this seems rather presumptuous of you to assume the level of education or verbal skills of the various citizenry. Certainly it may depend on what locale you happen to be in, as one could possibly assume that a "beggar" of Altmer heritage (on the off chance you may encounter one) would be more well spoken, than say, an orc of the same social station.
  • gary.mcleodeb17_ESO
    The eloquent and delightful Dunmer NPC, Trayna of Port Hunding. "Pi** off. Find your own junk pile."
    Chilli Chillama of Chillrend.

Language is the source of misunderstandings.
    'The Little Prince'
    Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

“Say to yourself first thing in the morning: I shall meet with people who are meddling, ungrateful, violent, treacherous, envious, and unsociable. They are subject to these faults because of their ignorance of what is good and bad.” Marcus Aurelius.

The grabbing hands
    Grab all they can
    All for themselves after all
    It's a competitive world
    Everything counts in large amounts

Depeche Mode
  • JamuThatsWho
    JamuThatsWho
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    kagorsa wrote: »
    I doubt the Dev's will look at this but I have to ask, why aren't the voice actors speaking in simple Layman's terms? Even the beggars seem to have swallowed a dictionary.

Also, why do npc's keep telling me I did something, how the hell would they know? It's not like they have a photo of my character. If they were to say something like, you look like the person that people say saved the king, or whatever ever you did, that part doesn't matter. This has Niggled me since beta.

Because it's a high fantasy role-playing game.
    @JamuThatsWho - PC EU - CP2000

Main:
    Vasiir-jo - Khajiit Necromancer, AD

Alts:
    Sul-Mael Hlarothran - Dunmer Sorcerer, EP

Ushaar-Ixaht - Argonian Nightblade, DC

Rorbakh gro-Khraag - Orc Templar, AD

Anduuroon - Altmer Warden, EP

Travanius Braelia - Imperial Dragonknight, DC
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Because it's a high fantasy role-playing game.

And a high-elf is still a high elf regardless if they have resorted to begging for their dinner. How dare they lower themselves to speak in a common tongue for any reason.
  • TheImperfect
    TheImperfect
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    That beggar speaking in good vocabulary used to be a telvanni mage who got sucked into a plane of oblivion and had their memory scrambled, got spat back out dirty and penniless across the other side of Tamriel.
  • Ekzorka
    Ekzorka
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Also, why do npc's keep telling me I did something, how the hell would they know?
    The same way as you know their names before you'll talk with them.