The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Enchant quality vs Item quality vs Armour type

SteveyP777
Afternoon,

I've looked and there's a lot of info out there about the relationship between glyph quality (normal to legendary) and gear quality but I've yet to find an answer to the following...

First, I want to check I've understood the basics correctly; if you apply a higher quality glyph enchantment to a piece of gear the full benefit of the enchant will not be felt on that piece of gear until you improve it. Is that right?

Secondly, it does not work the other way around i.e. if you have a lower quality glyph on a piece of gear which you upgrade to higher quality, the enchantment remains the same.

My question is as follows; if a max quality glyph is applied to a max quality item (i.e. both legendary) am I guaranteed to enjoy the max enchantment?

Reason I ask is I read somewhere that it depends on the *type* of gear you are enchanting. A chest-piece is not the same as a head-piece. Is it true that there are enchantment caps depending on the exact type of gear you are looking at and, if so, is there a list somewhere that can give me an idea of what those caps look like at CP160?

Thank you and I hope the question makes sense!

Stevey.
  • Taleof2Cities
    Taleof2Cities
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You’re on the right track, @SteveyP777.

The most important item to remember is that anytime you apply a glyph to gear, you’ll need to re-apply another glyph after you upgrade the same piece of gear.

In other words, dropped bind on equip (BoE) and bind on pickup (BoP) gear will always improve it’s enchantment potency automatically when you upgrade the gear piece quality at a crafting table (when using the default enchantment).

However, if you decide to change the enchantment, you’ll need to re-apply the glyph if you ever decide to improve the quality of the gear piece.

For armor pieces, yes, chest, head, and legs have a higher potency ... versus shoulders, waist, hands, and feet.

The UESP is a good source of info if you haven’t run across it yet: https://en.m.uesp.net/wiki/Online:Runestones#Potency_Runes
  • tmbrinks
    tmbrinks
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    To your first point: If your gear is at maximum level. You can apply a gold level glyph to a green item, and you will get the full benefit of the glyph.

To your second point: If YOU apply the glyph (say a green level glyph to a green level piece of gear) the enchantment will NOT increase as you upgrade. If the glyph is applied by the game (it dropped with that glyph on it), then it WILL upgrade as you upgrade the gear.

Yes, if you put gold glyphs on gold gear you're guaranteed to get maximum. That said, you can apply gold glyphs to purple/blue/green/white gear, and you'll still get the maximum.

As far as gear. Chest, Head, Leg and Shield pieces (LARGE PIECES) get "FULL" enchant bonuses. Where as Shoulders, Feet, Gloves, and Shoes (SMALL PIECES) get a smaller amount, so you won't get the "full" enchant on these. There is no way of overcoming that limitation as that is just a game mechanic.

For Magicka/Stamina it's 868 on the large pieces, 351 on the small pieces. For Health it's 954 for large pieces, and I think 386 on the small. I'm not going to go through all the possible combinations, but they all tend to follow a similar pattern.

If your gear has the INFUSED trait, it can increase the strength of these enchantments.

All jewelry and weapons are considered large pieces, and those enchants will be what the tooltip says when you make the enchantment glyph, only modified by the infused trait.
    Edited by tmbrinks on November 29, 2020 4:08PM
    Tenacious Dreamer - Hurricane Herald - Godslayer - Dawnbringer - Gryphon Heart - Tick Tock Tormenter - Immortal Redeemer - Dro-m'Athra Destroyer
    The Unchained - Bedlam's Disciple - Temporal Tempest - Curator's Champion - Fist of Tava - Invader's Bane - Land, Air, and Sea Supremacy - Zero Regrets - Battlespire's Best - Bastion Breaker - Ardent Bibliophile - Subterranean Smasher - Bane of Thorns - True Genius - In Defiance of Death - No Rest for the Wicked - Nature's Wrath - Undying Endurance - Relentless Raider - Depths Defier - Apex Predator - Pure Lunacy - Mountain God - Leave No Bone Unbroken - CoS/RoM/BF/FH Challenger
    61,215 achievement points
  • kringled_1
    kringled_1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Minor correction: one handed weapons have their enchants halved as compared to two - handed /bows /staves.
  • SteveyP777
    Wonderful, all the above has answered my question perfectly