The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

as a new player should i start with soul shriven coldharbor

raikonis8
raikonis8
Soul Shriven
should i start with coldharbor soul shriven story or as a new player jump right into greymoor
  • LannStone
    LannStone
    ✭✭✭✭
    As one who has leveled 13 characters, I always started with Coldharbour because it's the fastest way to get skill points - the first several chapters are short and each ends with a skill point - and it's a well-done, interesting story that I never got tired of repeating. But it wouldn't hurt to switch back and forth for variety if you want.
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Technically the main story, which is what you are asking about, is intertwined with the main story going through the alliance. However, it really takes nothing from the alliance stories if you complete the soul shriven story with the prophet first. As LannStone said, it is a good quick collection of skill points.

I say this as one who started this game when it launched and that questline has each quest level locked. We unlocked a new one every five levels. So I have seen it both ways. I think it is good that they changed it as you can see that story straight through without interruptions.
  • AcadianPaladin
    AcadianPaladin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I always want to start in Coldharbour. But did I miss something? We have long complained about having to start in the new 'flavor of the month' zone and asked for an option to choose to start in the original tutorial. Did this latest patch provide that and I somehow missed it in the natch potes?
    PC NA(no Steam), PvE, mostly solo
  • raikonis8
    raikonis8
    Soul Shriven
    thanks everyone i got as far as castle of worm but could never complete it kept getting one hit kill by the boss
  • wishlist14
    wishlist14
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree with posts above....the main quesline or harborage quests leading into coldharbor net you 10 whole skills points, so worth it and i too have done them on 13 characters and never tire of it. Hope you too enjoy the journey 😊
    Edited by wishlist14 on November 9, 2020 9:34AM
  • JKorr
    JKorr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    raikonis8 wrote: »
    thanks everyone i got as far as castle of worm but could never complete it kept getting one hit kill by the boss

That's the "rescue abnur" quest, isn't it?

Do you have a guild? If you do, ask crafters to make you a set of training gear, and blue food for health and whichever other one you use, magicka or stamina. Once the fight starts, don't go outside the pillars, mannimarco put up a force field that will kill you if you step over the boundary. There are two caster skeletons he calls up to fight you; kill them first. Lyris will usually manage to keep at least one of the others busy until you can kill it.
  • raikonis8
    raikonis8
    Soul Shriven
    i don't have a guild as i try to play on both pc and console
  • JKorr
    JKorr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    i don't have a guild as i try to play on both pc and console

Both pc and consoles have guilds.

We can belong to 5 player guilds. Guilds are account wide. Unless you're looking for a high volume trading guild, dues are not usually required. If you find a good guild you'll get access to good crafters and people for back-up when and if you need it, as well as answers to questions that are normally more reliable than asking zone chat.
  • Fennwitty
    Fennwitty
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Did this latest patch provide that and I somehow missed it in the natch potes?
    Nothing recent, but the original 'Soul Shriven in Coldharbour' quest instead of being the default tutorial is part of the main story quest.

You just have to go follow the quest separately with new characters, after doing or skipping whatever tutorial that character had.

Not sure if there have been any changes, I didn't play when that was the original tutorial.
    PC NA
  • AcadianPaladin
    AcadianPaladin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Fennwitty, ah, thank you. That is as I thought. Still have do a workaround to actually start in the Coldharbour tutorial. It is very helpful that folks know how to do that workaround but it would be nice, especially for new players, to have options during char creation.
    PC NA(no Steam), PvE, mostly solo
  • LannStone
    LannStone
    ✭✭✭✭

You shouldn't be getting killed that easily if you're doing two things: 1. wearing armor and weapon that matches your current level. 2. Using food that raises you health (that crown store food that you get as a daily reward is a good choice).
    Also, as mentioned above, Mannimarco puts up a force shield that will kill you if you try to retreat - you can't jump backwards in this scenario