Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Why do some quests give hardly any exp?

DarkWombat
DarkWombat
✭✭✭✭
I dont understand this leveling process. To me, it is the most frustrating thing about this game. It seems that Zenimax will go out of its way to make sure you cant over-level an area. However, they are really obsessive about it, I mean, they over-thought it.

I can do two quests, one will give 1,000 exp and one will give 100 exp. Both were just as involved. It seems that there is this hidden algorithm, and if you are at a certain level at a certain place, you will get heavily penalized for turning in a quest that is one level below you. Now I am level 23 at the end of Stormhaven and I honestly don't know where I am going to get the exp to get to 25 before I enter the next area. And I explore A LOT!

Anyone else notice this, and what do you do? Grind mobs?
  • Nasuradin_ESO
    Nasuradin_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    While leveling I always fought stuff and did quests 3 levels higher than me, they were yellow in my quest log so I considered it "within level range" by the time I finished everything not bugged in coldharbour I was lvl 49.5 an I just filled the rest in with some missed quests in the lvl 40 zone and quests in cyrodiil, I just picked a campaign that was extremely one-sided in favor of my faction so I wouldn't run into anybody, though if you don't mind pvp any campaign will do.
    Edited by Nasuradin_ESO on April 22, 2014 5:03PM
  • RylukShouja
    RylukShouja
    ✭✭✭
    Explore empty areas of your map. I finished the main shadowfen quest for the area (I believe it was level 30 or 31 before I hit 28, and was wondering where I had missed stuff. So I went back and killed a few world bosses I had missed, cleared a couple dolmens, and then looked at my map. I found a couple suspiciously empty areas and lo and behold! I found the lvl26 and 27 quests for the area.

To more directly answer the question, I have found quests to be a secondary form of xp...a good chunk of my xp comes from exploration, world bosses/dolmens, clearing the boss in caves, and regular mobs in the world.

As far as some quests giving little xp and some giving lots, the only times I have encountered this are with quests where you, for example, find an artifact in a cave, and have to give it to someone, or go talk to three or four people and then return for a turnin.
  • LulzLou
    LulzLou
    I literally quested from Level 1 to VR10. I had no problem with not getting enough exp. You get a big experience bonus for filling in quest areas on the map.

For example;
    All the quests in the VR10 zone gave around 9-12k exp. Once I completed one of the areas in that zone I got 100k+ for completing the area on top of the exp that I earned from the quests.

That goes for Dungeons, Dolmens and World Bosses as well. That being said the experience is level based so its not really a good idea to run around doing all the dungeons and stuff at level 3 with the help of a friend.