The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Walk up behind an NPC. Nobody else around. Hidden. (Aware)(Aware)(DETECTED)(Aware)

Pixative
Pixative
✭✭
After searching for a bit, I couldn't find anyone else talking about this. Very often I will sneak, and the instant hidden appears, it is immediately replaced by full detection. When there is apparently no possible source for that detection. Very often when I pickpocket I will have to shimmy back and forth between positions to get rid of (Aware), often I have to to silly things like stand practically inside the NPC. This happens as much on my level 4 pickpocket as a fresh character, and as much on my medium armor char with the sneak passive as without.

What's wrong. Am I doing it wrong, and if so, how do I do it better, or are there just bugs? Do you just randomly get detected from behind? Is the NPC's model not making it obvious where "behind" is?
  • Pixative
    Pixative
    ✭✭
    I should add I know things like mudcrabs can detect you and I'm reasonably certain that is not the cause, unless there are also invisible mudcrabs hidden inside people's houses.
  • Stellarvorous
    Stellarvorous
    ✭✭✭
    Sometimes if you go into sneak and get close to a npc to fast their detection will pull you out also in locked houses you get those 59k npcs who seem to have a better sense of detection then average ones outside in cities

also sometimes if its really laggy or your ping is high it plays with sneak why i have no idea but when im lagging and i try sneaking around in cities or in delves i deffiently get caught more
  • Calm_Fury
    Calm_Fury
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I honestly never understood how that system works. It just feels so random. Also when you have a huge success percentage and then when you click the button it immediately drops the percentage and fails. It is just so clunky for me.
  • Nord_Raseri
    Nord_Raseri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Positional desync, probably. The game is strife with it. You're screen tells you that you/npc/other player are in one spot while server thinks you/npc/player are in another. Been a problem for a long while now.
    Veit ég aðég hékk vindga meiði á nætr allar níu, geiri undaðr og gefinn Oðni, sjálfr sjálfum mér, á þeim meiði er manngi veit hvers hann af rótum rennr.
  • GrumpyDuckling
    GrumpyDuckling
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Pixative wrote: »
    After searching for a bit, I couldn't find anyone else talking about this. Very often I will sneak, and the instant hidden appears, it is immediately replaced by full detection. When there is apparently no possible source for that detection. Very often when I pickpocket I will have to shimmy back and forth between positions to get rid of (Aware), often I have to to silly things like stand practically inside the NPC. This happens as much on my level 4 pickpocket as a fresh character, and as much on my medium armor char with the sneak passive as without.

What's wrong. Am I doing it wrong, and if so, how do I do it better, or are there just bugs? Do you just randomly get detected from behind? Is the NPC's model not making it obvious where "behind" is?

Sneaking/Sneak Detection/Thievery/Assassinations in ESO are extremely clunky and, at times, feel broken. You can tell not enough care was put into the details of the various sneak-related systems because there are numerous issues. Just a few that bug me:
    • Spotty detection issues like those you are describing.
    • A percentage fluctuating pickpocket mini-game that raises/drops based on random hidden timers instead of quality of approach to the target.
    • Blade of Woe and Vampire feeding being mapped to the same buttons.
    • Wood Elf racial detection passive nonsense that is useless in PVE.
  • Finedaible
    Finedaible
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I'm almost certain these random detection issues for stealth are often caused by wonky tracking of character placement and direction. On your screen an NPC (or more often a player in PvP) will be facing one way, while on the server they may already be facing a different direction. You can notice this pretty often with Nightblade Master Assassin passive and the stun from Veiled Strike when 'flanking' an enemy. Basically, I think it is most likely some form of desync and/or lag. I've been witnessed committing crimes from behind walls on entirely different building floors before.
  • out51d3r
    out51d3r
    ✭✭✭✭
    I don't know the exact cause of this, but I experience it frequently. It seems I sometimes get a "bugged stealth" like this, where I should clearly be stealthed but I bounce in and out of stealth for some reason. It happens when I first stealth- either I I get it as soon as I stealth, or I don't get it at all. If I destealth for a second or so and then restealth, it usually resolves the problem.
  • Everstorm
    Everstorm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Calm_Fury wrote: »
    I honestly never understood how that system works. It just feels so random. Also when you have a huge success percentage and then when you click the button it immediately drops the percentage and fails. It is just so clunky for me.

After years I still have no idea what triggers the green status on pickpocketing.