The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Solitude Crafting Writs in Relation to Load Screens

APGaming
APGaming
✭✭✭
Hey everyone, I just wanted to bring up this topic to see if it would gain traction because I am always having this issue.

In Solitude, the crafting area is so tight-knit, it is probably the best in the game, up there with other chapter cities and Rawl'ka. Unfortunately, there are full load screens to enter AND exit both the clothier and alchemist/enchanter stations. Not to mention there is a significant issue that I frequently get, where when entering a Solitude load screen on Xbox NA, the screen goes black and I have to restart my game. I want to do my writs here, but the load screens and crashing issues are a big deterrent. I think ZOS should consider moving the load screens on the crafting buildings to other buildings within the city that do not already have one, like the furniture store, for example. These areas get much lower traffic and would make more sense to have load times.
  • ShawnLaRock
    ShawnLaRock
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This has been addressed a TON since Greymoor launch, but nothing has changed as far as load-screens.

I would put my DC rate at 1 out of every 3 times trying (whether entering a building or using a wayshrine).

Shame that writs are just not practical to do in Solitude.

S.
  • spartaxoxo
    spartaxoxo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree. Writs are terrible to do in Solitude. On the upside it is actually better to do your writs in your house there's. 3 loading screens instead of 4 for the inn room.
  • APGaming
    APGaming
    ✭✭✭
    spartaxoxo wrote: »
    I agree. Writs are terrible to do in Solitude. On the upside it is actually better to do your writs in your house there's. 3 loading screens instead of 4 for the inn room.

yeah I set up crafting stations in my proudspire basement
  • Taleof2Cities
    Taleof2Cities
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Catering to ‘X’ number of crafting writs in ‘Y’ amount of time doesn’t make ESO a better game, @APGaming ... nor is it a good use of developer time.

Head to Vivec City if you’re on a limited time budget per day.

I enjoy doing my writs as is in Solitude. There’s a lot of player traffic and it feels lively ... even with a load screen or two.
  • APGaming
    APGaming
    ✭✭✭
    Catering to ‘X’ number of crafting writs in ‘Y’ amount of time doesn’t make ESO a better game, @APGaming ... nor is it a good use of developer time.

I enjoy doing my writs as is in Solitude. There’s a lot of player traffic and it feels lively ... even with a load screen or two.

I'm more concerned about the crashing issues caused by loading screens. I wouldn't mind them if I didn't crash every three loading screens in Solitude. Also, I'm gonna do my writs in Solitude as it's where I want to park my crafter. I'm not saying waste development time, I'm saying make a small change to make a small improvement to a popular player hub, that's all, geez.
  • MasterSpatula
    MasterSpatula
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is a client-side issue. I've never had a problem here. The load screens are almost un-noticeable for me, but then my computer is brand-new as of March.

I'm genuinely not sure if the correct way to address this issue is "ZOS should always design around potato computers so the potatoes don't feel screwed" or "ZOS should design so people who have a decent rig get something out of it."
    "A probable impossibility is preferable to an improbable possibility." - Aristotle
  • APGaming
    APGaming
    ✭✭✭
    This is a client-side issue. I've never had a problem here. The load screens are almost un-noticeable for me, but then my computer is brand-new as of March.

I'm genuinely not sure if the correct way to address this issue is "ZOS should always design around potato computers so the potatoes don't feel screwed" or "ZOS should design so people who have a decent rig get something out of it."

See I have a day one Xbox One... which has seen better days. I'm definitely upgrading soon and I figured platform could be central to the issue. I just wanna do my writs uninterrupted in my favorite city in peace man lmao
  • ShawnLaRock
    ShawnLaRock
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Err... what about those quote-unquote potato XBOX ONE X & PS4 users with low ping & high up/down?

S.
  • spartaxoxo
    spartaxoxo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    APGaming wrote: »

I'm more concerned about the crashing issues caused by loading screens. I wouldn't mind them if I didn't crash every three loading screens in Solitude. Also, I'm gonna do my writs in Solitude as it's where I want to park my crafter. I'm not saying waste development time, I'm saying make a small change to make a small improvement to a popular player hub, that's all, geez.

It's not the computer that's the issue, it's them putting loading screens in high traffic areas instead of low traffic ones.

There's probably no big reason why they chose the alchemy store instead of the furniture store. They probably just knew they needed some of the stores to have load screens and didn't put much thought into which ones.
  • Bucky_13
    Bucky_13
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    That you're unable to instantly log out in solitude is the real deal breaker for me. And having an instant log out like in every other major city seems like a reasoable thing to do, the fact that they haven't baffles me.
  • APGaming
    APGaming
    ✭✭✭

It's not the computer that's the issue, it's them putting loading screens in high traffic areas instead of low traffic ones.

There's probably no big reason why they chose the alchemy store instead of the furniture store. They probably just knew they needed some of the stores to have load screens and didn't put much thought into which ones.

Exactly! And that's why I started this thread in the first place.
  • Taleof2Cities
    Taleof2Cities
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bucky_13 wrote: »
    That you're unable to instantly log out in solitude is the real deal breaker for me. And having an instant log out like in every other major city seems like a reasoable thing to do, the fact that they haven't baffles me.

Isn't the logout timer ten (10) seconds ... ?
  • zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Its many places like that like around the stables in vulkhel guard who is annoying.

Grinding just make you go in circles.
    Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.
  • zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

This, in city loading screens are not real loading screens as you are in the same instance, interior is just put underground so they don't have to render stuff outside.
    Thief guild bases are their own instances for some reason.
    You notice they have longer load screens than porting to an wayshrine in the same zone.
    Grinding just make you go in circles.
    Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.
  • Nomadic_Atmoran
    Nomadic_Atmoran
    ✭✭✭✭✭

See I have a day one Xbox One... which has seen better days. I'm definitely upgrading soon and I figured platform could be central to the issue. I just wanna do my writs uninterrupted in my favorite city in peace man lmao

My guess is that its definitely the platform. I have a PS4 Pro and the game struggles quite a bit. Hopefully the next gen consoles can handle the game better.
    Penniless Sellsword Company
    Captain Paramount Jorrhaq Vhent
    Korith Eaglecry - Laerinel Rhaev - Enrerion - Caius Berilius - Seylina Ithvala - Signa Squallrider - H'Vak the Grimjawl
    Yynril Rothvani - Tenarei Rhaev - Bathes-In-Coin - Dazsh Ro Khar - Aredyhel - Reads-To-Frogs - Azjani Ma'Les
    Kheshna gra-Gharbuk - Gallisten Bondurant - Aban Shahid Bakr - Etain Maquier - Atsu Kalame - Faulpia Severinus
  • Everest_Lionheart
    Everest_Lionheart
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rimmen is my go to city for everything. Having the free house there is a big deal to stash all the stuff I don’t want to keep in the bank. I have coffers of monster sets and training equipment for both stam and mag toons there. The crafting tables are all setup in a nice circle, the stables are on the way to the writ turn in. The bank is a bit north from the writ turn in. All of it is centrally located to the wayshrine. It’s only the load screen in and out of the bank that can slightly annoy me sometimes or the 17 flappy birds in the room at prime time. Should probably buy the banker and save myself the headache. Does the banker ever go on sale? I’ve seen the merchant for 3K but never the banker.
  • Bucky_13
    Bucky_13
    ✭✭✭✭✭

In Solitude it is. In Rimmen & Alinor where I do my daily writs, it's instant. I'm assuming it's instant in Vivec as well. When you do daily writs on 10+ characters, that logout timer is something you avoid at all costs.
  • Cireous
    Cireous
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd like them to just remove those 2 doors, making it more of an open crafting area, for reasons above, and because Solitude in ESO is my favorite city so far, and I don't see that changing until Whiterun or Winterhold, like, 5 years down the line. I badly want to craft in Solitude, under that colorful, glowing, auroric night sky. I want my characters to live there permanently, because that's exactly how it feels, where your characters craft, is where their home is. It's where you log in and out from every day.

It actually really matters that efficient crafting makes sense in these beloved places. :star::heartbreak:
  • DarcyMardin
    DarcyMardin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I like doing writs in Solitude. My experience with the load screens in the crafting area is that they are very short — not at all like the long load screens when you change regions or enter a dungeon. The only annoying load screen, for me, is the one leading out of the city gate toward the stable where the horse trainer is, and even that isn’t too bad.

Vvardenfell is my favorite area for writs, though. Most of my characters hang out there.
  • APGaming
    APGaming
    ✭✭✭
    Rimmen is my go to city for everything. Having the free house there is a big deal to stash all the stuff I don’t want to keep in the bank. I have coffers of monster sets and training equipment for both stam and mag toons there. The crafting tables are all setup in a nice circle, the stables are on the way to the writ turn in. The bank is a bit north from the writ turn in. All of it is centrally located to the wayshrine. It’s only the load screen in and out of the bank that can slightly annoy me sometimes or the 17 flappy birds in the room at prime time. Should probably buy the banker and save myself the headache. Does the banker ever go on sale? I’ve seen the merchant for 3K but never the banker.

Rimmen is gorgeous and was my go to for the longest time. My crafter is a necro so he was created with Elsweyr and lived there until he basically got to go home with Greymoor [he is a dragon priest from Western Skyrim]. As for a banker sale, I got both of mine (Tythis & Nuzimeh) on sale but it was not by much and a long time ago. Look out for a crown sale and itll be like getting them on sale in game... or buy crowns with gold in game, banker is definitely worth 500k.
  • APGaming
    APGaming
    ✭✭✭
    Cireous wrote: »
    I'd like them to just remove those 2 doors, making it more of an open crafting area, for reasons above, and because Solitude in ESO is my favorite city so far, and I don't see that changing until Whiterun or Winterhold, like, 5 years down the line. I badly want to craft in Solitude, under that colorful, glowing, auroric night sky. I want my characters to live there permanently, because that's exactly how it feels, where your characters craft, is where their home is. It's where you log in and out from every day.

It actually really matters that efficient crafting makes sense in these beloved places. :star::heartbreak:

See exactly my point, before I even knew of Greymoor's existence my now main character, and crafter, was written as a necromancer dragon priest from Western Skyrim sent to deal with Kaalgrontiid's dragon cult for Alduin when the time arose. When it did he woke up and served his dragon king even in his absence. Solitude would logically be his modern hometown and its definitely up there with Rimmen and Alinor for best/prettiest city award. Unfortunately being there sucks sometimes, the music isn't from Greymoor and I crash frequently, but it isnt enough to make me move him somewhere else. I started this thread so ZOS would acknowledge that the closed cities cause more problems than they are worth.
  • Everest_Lionheart
    Everest_Lionheart
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Rimmen is gorgeous and was my go to for the longest time. My crafter is a necro so he was created with Elsweyr and lived there until he basically got to go home with Greymoor [he is a dragon priest from Western Skyrim]. As for a banker sale, I got both of mine (Tythis & Nuzimeh) on sale but it was not by much and a long time ago. Look out for a crown sale and itll be like getting them on sale in game... or buy crowns with gold in game, banker is definitely worth 500k.

Mine is Khajiit, created in Elsweyr and specifically for Elsweyr. He currently leases rooms out the Hall of the Lunar Champion to 2 high elves, an orc cast off and has recently taken in a young argonian that has wandered too far from home!
  • Taleof2Cities
    Taleof2Cities
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

In Solitude it is. In Rimmen & Alinor where I do my daily writs, it's instant. I'm assuming it's instant in Vivec as well. When you do daily writs on 10+ characters, that logout timer is something you avoid at all costs.

So the maximum time you could potentially lose is 3 minutes with 18 characters?

Seems like more of a superficial barrier than an actual in-game issue.
  • spartaxoxo
    spartaxoxo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

That's over 18 hours a year on just logging out.
  • Taleof2Cities
    Taleof2Cities
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

That’s if you play every day ... most players miss a few days here or there.

Bottom Line: It’s not going to sway me from doing my writs in Solitude. It shouldn’t influence you either.

Edited by Taleof2Cities on November 1, 2020 7:02PM
  • spartaxoxo
    spartaxoxo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

That’s if you play every day ... most players miss a few days here or there.

Bottom Line: It’s not going to sway me from doing my writs in Solitude. It shouldn’t influence you either.

Yes. It should influence other people. Time is the most precious commodity any human being has, and wasting it for literally no value whatsoever for the player or the game is obviously ridiculous. The load screens should be moved or people should avoid doing the writs in Solitude.

There is a ton of player time wasted for the sake of wasting time.
    Edited by spartaxoxo on November 1, 2020 7:40PM
  • preevious
    preevious
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I used to my writs in bleakrock.
    Then, I did that zone's questline, and have been weeping ever since ..