Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

More DPS = Less loot?

badmojo
badmojo
✭✭✭✭✭
I was reading a guide about farming recipes in delves and public dungeons and it said that doing more DPS makes the mobs drop less loot, and you will know you are killing them too quickly if all you get is gold.

Why ZOS? We spend thousands of hours playing your game and learning the combat mechanics, perfecting our builds and you give the bad players more drops!??! That's just bad design.

Can anyone confirm this mechanic? And have you figured out exactly how it is calculated? Is it the length of the fight, the overall DPS? Tooltip amount? Average dps? I am struggling to find a way to consistently get loot drops from trash mobs.
Edited by badmojo on October 30, 2020 11:30AM
[DC/NA]
  • Nairinhe
    Nairinhe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    It's not about dps per se, but about loot cooldown, AFAIK. You can one shot mobs and just wait before killing next one. One of the genius anti-bot solutions, I guess.
  • Zer0_CooL
    Zer0_CooL
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    That bookshelve ain't gona drop easily mate ;)
  • badmojo
    badmojo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nairinhe wrote: »
    It's not about dps per se, but about loot cooldown, AFAIK. You can one shot mobs and just wait before killing next one. One of the genius anti-bot solutions, I guess.

Thanks, I was wondering if that was the case.
    Zer0_CooL wrote: »
    That bookshelve ain't gona drop easily mate ;)

I dont want it to drop easily, I just want a consistent chance to have it drop.
    [DC/NA]
  • Odovacar
    Odovacar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I've never heard that before...but then again I don't farm public delves.
  • redspecter23
    redspecter23
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Someone told you that more dps = less loot. I'd ask for more details as that sounds like a very uninformed opinion on loot mechanics.

In my experience, more dps means faster fights which means you're killing more things per minute, looting more chests per minute and gaining more rewards per minute. That all adds up to more loot in less time.

Now if you're talking about public dungeons (specifically the bosses there), then there is a loot cooldown so killing them as fast as possible doesn't earn you more loot than the cooldown allows. I think it's generally 2 bosses per 5 minutes but I may be off a bit on that.
    Edited by redspecter23 on October 30, 2020 2:07PM
  • badmojo
    badmojo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Someone told you that more dps = less loot. I'd ask for more details as that sounds like a very uninformed opinion on loot mechanics.

In my experience, more dps means faster fights which means you're killing more things per minute, looting more chests per minute and gaining more rewards per minute. That all adds up to more loot in less time.

Now if you're talking about public dungeons (specifically the bosses there), then there is a loot cooldown so killing them as fast as possible doesn't earn you more loot than the cooldown allows. I think it's generally 2 bosses per 5 minutes but I may be off a bit on that.

I have been experimenting with the loot mechanics for the past hour or so in a delve. If I run around and just kill everything as fast as possible I end up with a lot of loot from enemies that is just gold. But if I take it slow and wait 30 seconds between kills I end up with gear loot every time an enemy drops loot. Obviously there's still RNG and waiting 30 seconds doesn't always mean loot, but when loot drops it's more than just gold.

I am still trying to work out if the timer is set to kills or loot drops, but it seems like it's around 30 seconds from last kill.
    [DC/NA]
  • rpa
    rpa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    The boss cooldown also affects dolmen bosses. Anyone knows if bosses of each (7?) types share same cooldown?
  • redspecter23
    redspecter23
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    rpa wrote: »
    The boss cooldown also affects dolmen bosses. Anyone knows if bosses of each (7?) types share same cooldown?

I believe world bosses also share this cooldown. You can kill a few bosses in a public dungeon, then kill a world boss quickly, missing the loot from it. The cooldown is short enough that you don't see this often. It would have to be fairly quick kills in succession.

Group dungeon bosses don't have any loot cooldown I'm aware of so if you're farming skulls, you can go into an easy normal dungeon and turbo through there, getting 5 - 6 skulls in under 10 minutes.
  • Artanisul
    Artanisul
    ✭✭✭✭
    I believe the best way to look at it is there is a max loot per full clear....keep moving and when you get just gold take a pause.
    It cant be that individual deaths have to be some time apart or we would never get much off of groups, which we do...

Bosses definitely have cool downs though. Killing the boss over and over will show you that...in Delves.